Author Topic: How to learn Cliffhanger tips? Any tips that the how to vids maybe didn’t explai  (Read 3117 times)

Offline JamieRomoser

• Forkglider
How to learn Cliffhanger tips? Any tips that the how to vids maybe didn’t explain?

The cliffhanger was one of the first tricks that made me interested in getting into the realm of flatland
It even made me put pegs on my bike (was a pegless rider for most of my riding)

Some things some how to vids didn’t cover that I had some questions
I see some guys ride with there bars backwards and some forwards?
Does it matter how tall or how long your legs are?
Should you master hang 10s? What about the hang 10 no hander? Should I learn this first?
Should you learn messiahs?
Should you wear a cup?
Any tips on how to get behind the seat? It seems I’m so locked into a hang five it’s hard for me o get behind the seat?
Does the type of seat efffect anything? Because newer street seats have a rubbery texture for gripping it for barspins? But what about a slick cover seat?
Should I learn this trick wearing gloves for bails?
Is there a certain speed you should be aiming for or can you do this trick slow?
Should this trick be done on complete (flat) surface not like a road or something?
Tire pressure? Always 100? Because I run like 70-80?

Another thing I just realized today is I learned hangfives with my back foot on the pedal and it seems a lot of people doing the cliffhanger start with there Blackfoot on the back peg? Maybe this makes it easier to get behind the seat

How long did this trick take for you to learn? Have you gotten hurt from this trick? Don’t have to answer all the questions just been really wanting to learn this and if you have any advice would be awsome
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:50:26 PM by JamieRomoser »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Hello, my opinions (I am not so safe with it but can do the trick):

- I see some guys ride with there bars backwards and some forwards?
-> Bar backwards make it easier to reach the bar for ride in and ride out.

- Should you master hang 10s? What about the hang 10 no hander? Should I learn this first? -> No, the cliffhanger is very unique anyway in terms of how to balance.

- Should you learn messiahs? -> No, see above.
 - Does the type of seat efffect anything? Because newer street seats have a rubbery texture for gripping it for barspins? But what about a slick cover seat? -> No, this is not necessary.
 - Is there a certain speed you should be aiming for or can you do this trick slow? -> Like for most rolling tricks too slow makes it more difficult. To fast is more dangerous. "Medium speed" should do it.
 - Should this trick be done on complete (flat) surface not like a road or something? -> This might be better. With a big slope you will gain or loose speed quickly and this is disturbing.

- Tire pressure? Always 100? Because I run like 70-80?
-> It depends on you body mass. It should be enough so you do not bounce. In generel more pressure makes rolling easier. I would not use less than 100 psi for flatland anyway as long as you are not like 60 kg or something like that.

I cannot remember how long it took me. I needed to overcome the fear of falling. It is indeed somehow dangerous because when you fall to the front it is likely that your feet are caught on you bar for example. So keep that in mind and try to avoid this.
I found that you can balance when you press your legs/knees inwards to hold the frame/bike. This was a key for me.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 10:59:36 PM by DaddyCool »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
It'd be nice if you could learn to roll the hang10 but with your hips back behind the seat. That will get you comfortable rolling back there because it's a little nerve-rracking at first! You may fare best doing it bars backwards especially if you have offset forks bc it will make it a little easier to get back behind that seat. Then once you're comfortable with that you can try loosening the grip on the bars and finally taking your hands off an inch. Imagine your going to try to catch a ball being thrown your way. nothing drastic no sudden movements!

hope this helps, very nice explanation by Daddycool and keep us posted! 
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
First learn how to do a  slow hang 5. Than with bars backwards. Than going behind the seat and back out. Maybe without crankset. It helped me to have a higher seat and the seat not so fare back. Than do the same with slow riding and putting the second foot on the other peg. You need to put your arms fast away from the grips and hold them up in front to balance. Going back is the easy part. Grap your bars and out. I like the feeling of the cliffhanger. It's a bit like balancing a bar ride. 😀