Author Topic: Bars Recommendation  (Read 1998 times)

Offline rpl3000

Bars Recommendation
« on: October 19, 2020, 03:50:26 AM »
I'm looking for some replacement bars for my Ares AFX. I looped out on the rear peg and I couldn't hang on to the bars. The bike flipped and landed on one grip and bent the bars.

The current bars are what came stock on the bike. 8" rise, 27" wide and 6 deg sweep.

I'd like to replace them with something similar but maybe even lower. If I stand on one of my front pegs, I can't get my other foot over the bar. Most of the options out there are a bit taller and or have more sweep.

Thoughts on different rise or sweep? also places to look at besides Flatland Fuel to purchase? I'm still a beginner and I done think I need $100 bars yet. Probably going to bend another set just the same sometime soon. 

-RPL

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Re: Bars Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 05:29:34 AM »
I'm looking for some replacement bars for my Ares AFX. I looped out on the rear peg and I couldn't hang on to the bars. The bike flipped and landed on one grip and bent the bars.

The current bars are what came stock on the bike. 8" rise, 27" wide and 6 deg sweep.

I'd like to replace them with something similar but maybe even lower. If I stand on one of my front pegs, I can't get my other foot over the bar. Most of the options out there are a bit taller and or have more sweep.

Thoughts on different rise or sweep? also places to look at besides Flatland Fuel to purchase? I'm still a beginner and I done think I need $100 bars yet. Probably going to bend another set just the same sometime soon. 

-RPL
Most flatland bars are$80 new. If you want cheaper try bmxmuseum or eBay for used bars....

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 02:52:21 PM »
i think its impossible to find new bars under 8'' or even 8.5'' these days
This time last year i was building a new bike after i got back to flatland and i ended up ordering custom ones from PiR (he is a member here) because i couldnt find anything with the geometry i wanted.

Or you could buy some midschool used ones from bmxmuseum if you live in US.They usually have no mention of specs/geometry as this was not a thing of interest in the midschool days,not even the companies cared to mention them. And they could be expensive there too.Except bars like Haro ones that were mass produced and are available pretty cheap now used.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:55:35 PM by mal »

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 04:54:08 PM »
i think its impossible to find new bars under 8'' or even 8.5'' these days
This time last year i was building a new bike after i got back to flatland and i ended up ordering custom ones from PiR (he is a member here) because i couldnt find anything with the geometry i wanted.

Or you could buy some midschool used ones from bmxmuseum if you live in US.They usually have no mention of specs/geometry as this was not a thing of interest in the midschool days,not even the companies cared to mention them. And they could be expensive there too.Except bars like Haro ones that were mass produced and are available pretty cheap now used.
Bmxmuseum usually has small bars. I know because I was looking for big bars and they never have those. I've seen under 7 inch flatland bars there...

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 05:39:00 PM »
Check out FlatlandFuel. They have a few bars that match your criteria. Either of the Ares bars on there, plus the S&M intrikat as well as the WE Bicycles bar are all under 9". That being said, my pick would be the S&M. Not only because it's what I personally ride, but because it's strong, simple and has great geometry. For something with more clearance, the WE Bicycles OR the Ares Aplus bar fit the bill. I'm not recommending the Liberte bar as that is a Graveyard style bar that seems to cater to the throwback / museum crowd (can't vouch for the quality of it either).

Now that brings us to price. These bars are made in small quantities and have more pieces to them than a 2 pc street bar so that's why you should expect to pay more for them. A handlebar is something you don't want to skimp on and if you're riding hard enough to bend a bar, it's worth investing in something strong and hi-quality. Get something you really want and excites you, something you fall in love with and makes you want to ride. As they say, buy nice or buy twice. Hope that helps and happy riding!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 05:40:58 PM by metalbmxer »
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline rpl3000

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 07:13:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the S&M bars from Flatland Fuel. I probably won't notice the difference after an hour.

To your last point. I really wanted to spent the extra $$ on the chrome plated ones but didn't. If I can stick with this and meet my riding goals I'll treat myself to some upgrades next summer. I would say that my inexperience is going to break more parts than my riding. I keep getting my feet caught in the spokes!

-RPL

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 07:45:44 PM »
Nice! solid choice. did you get the 8.5" ?

Make sure you get a set of grips and bar ends to go with them. Odyssey par ends come with any odyssey grips so that's a steal right there.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline rpl3000

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 04:53:28 AM »
yea got the 8.5's. I didn't get grips or bar ends as I figured I'll try and use the ones I already have.

I had Peregrine Q Pro II bars on my Diamondback Tailwhip back in '94?