Author Topic: Do you need to be tall to learn cliffhangers?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline JamieRomoser

• Forkglider
Do you need to be tall to learn cliffhangers?
« on: October 10, 2020, 09:20:56 PM »
Do you need to be tall to learn cliffhangers?

Honestly cliffhangers are one the tricks that made me want to get into the flatland realm. It even made me finally put pegs on my bike it wasn’t grind tricks it was the cliffhanger that intrigued me

I’m running a 20.75 frame and I don’t think I’m gonna be able to learn cliffhangers?

Is it possible to learn cliffhangers with the bars 180? Would you recommend this?

It seems weird because I don’t have offset forks so it’s almost like I have to re learn hang fives and hang tens with a complete new geometry of my bike with the bars flipped 180? Also my bars have sweep so it just makes my bike feel so weird.

But when I flip my bars it makes my bike feel like a 18 inch? In some strange way?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:23:31 PM by JamieRomoser »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Do you need to be tall to learn cliffhangers?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 10:37:26 AM »
Hello, I used to do cliffhanges some time ago and now I would need some tries... I typically did them with a reverse bar position just because the distance to the bar is less which makes it easier when you go into the cliffhanger and also if you go out, even with zero offset forks.
How tall are you? Of course a shorte frame makes it a little easier to get behind the seat, but I tend to say you can learn any trick on any BMX bike, but of course a suitable geometry makes it easier.
If you are able to enter the position you may try to control your bike with your knees pushing against the frame from the sides. I feel this makes it more stable. The cliffhanger is a difficult trick and you need to be careful, especially because it is likely that you get caught in the bike somehow when you want to step/jump out of the trick when you loose the balance. But it is worth it! A nice looking trick and a very special feeling doing it compared to other rolling tricks!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Do you need to be tall to learn cliffhangers?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 01:36:53 AM »
lower your seat and do everything you can to the angle to make it easy to slide back and forth from. Ideally you'd want it just high enough so that your thighs/crotch fit back behind the seat but not so high that it's impossible for you to straddle over it
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)