Author Topic: Let's talk frame geometry- ht and st angles  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Let's talk frame geometry- ht and st angles
« on: October 06, 2020, 09:46:55 PM »
What are your ideal ht and st angles for hang fives ( front wheel trick) vs peg wheelies (back wheel trick)?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Let's talk frame geometry- ht and st angles
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 11:09:58 PM »
The steeper the HT angle the easier it is to get into the hang5 position. After your in the hang5 it doesn't matter.
The ST angle don't matter as long as you can adjust the seat where it's touching your ass.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 11:21:32 PM »
The steeper the HT angle the easier it is to get into the hang5 position. After your in the hang5 it doesn't matter.
The ST angle don't matter as long as you can adjust the seat where it's touching your ass.
Makes sense. Surprising though that  no flatland ht angles are over 75 unlike street and park frames. Many flatland ht angles 74 or below...

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 12:16:25 AM »
This is because with a very steep HT your backwheel will hit the ground much more easily when doing whips or steamrollers for example and also the bar will hit the ground more easily when you do hitchhikers or backpackers. There are a lot of pros and cons for different HT angles. I think 75 deg is a good compromise.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 01:36:13 AM »
This is because with a very steep HT your backwheel will hit the ground much more easily when doing whips or steamrollers for example and also the bar will hit the ground more easily when you do hitchhikers or backpackers. There are a lot of pros and cons for different HT angles. I think 75 deg is a good compromise.
Thanks. My FEC El Camino is 73.5 ht , 68 st. Not sure what the advantage is but I like the feel of it...

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 10:07:30 AM »
Makes sense. Surprising though that  no flatland ht angles are over 75 unlike street and park frames. Many flatland ht angles 74 or below...

not to mention there were some options 15-20 years ago, some frames got 76 and 76,5 ht angle, thinking at the Fifth JPS 1 & 2 frames, and at one version of the Quamen Clad G6

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »
I recently went from a mid school frame with a 75 degree ht and a 71 or 72 degree st, to a 74 degree ht and a 69 degree st. Huge difference, and I didn't like the way it felt. Seat was too far away fro my liking, and that ht angle never felt comfy. Ended up switching back to my old frame.

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 02:04:25 PM »
Off topic, but somewhat related, I wish frames would go back to longer dropouts. Having to break a chain to take off your back wheel is so stupid.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 09:53:47 PM »
Off topic, but somewhat related, I wish frames would go back to longer dropouts. Having to break a chain to take off your back wheel is so stupid.
You can always use a master link... I don't slam my wheel so I always have enough room.