Author Topic: Odyssey Evo 2.5 problem?  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Zig

Odyssey Evo 2.5 problem?
« on: September 25, 2020, 08:32:31 PM »
Hi can anyone offer advice regarding Odyssey Evo 2.5 U brake.  I have said brake fitted to my Odyssey forks when I use the brake I get the loud squeal from the pads (clear) but also more often than not I also get a twice as loud metallic friction type horrendous noise.
I can live with the pads squealing but this other noise is horrible and doesn't sound good at all.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
Re: Odyssey Evo 2.5 problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 12:55:55 AM »
Check your brake cable. Is it a standard cable and housing, or is it like an Odyssey slic cable? I've had this problem with regular cables that weren't teflon-lined. The cable rubs across the cable housing and creates a grating sound. I'd spin my wheel slowly and squeeze the lever to find where the sound is coming from. Also, male sure your brake arms aren't rubbing together. Check the spacing between the arms when the brakes are applied.

Offline Zig

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 07:59:47 AM »
Hi 89schwinnsting.  It is the Odyssey Slic cable I'm using.  I would say the noise is from the arms.  I've tried to find the actual source of contact but I'm struggling a bit because it's hard to pin point when I'm off the bike.  If it is the arms is there a way to fix this?  I did strip the brake down last night to see if I could see any damage but all looked good.    It must be the arms rubbing together?

Thanks

Offline Zig

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:05:48 PM »
I took the pads off, put em back on again and the noise has gone.  Now the all I get is the pads tooting like a kid with an annoying toy...happy days!

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 09:39:21 PM »
I'm not sure if this is your problem but clear pads can cause squeaking and squealing sounds but they can also cause a chattering noise. All of my brake noise issues have been caused and fixed by changing or manipulating my brake pads. Have you tried "toe-ing in" your pads? With clear pads i always have to toe my pads in at least a little bit or the noise is unbearable.

I keep an old plastic gift card in my tool bag to use for that. I just put in between the rim and pad at the back half of the pad and tighten down, making the front of the pads touch first when I squeeze the levers.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:41:59 PM by ortho »

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 03:40:39 PM »

If you're using clear pads on a chrome rim, it will almost always squeek until you build up a film on the sides of the rim. If you don't dig it, switch to black pads. Black Odyssey Ghost pads are awesome. If you're using a black rim, it will go away eventually.

I bought a brand new Evo 2.5 because a guy was selling one cheap. I've had nothing but problems with it. I THINK he sent the wrong springs with it, though. But when you get the brake set up, it just jams up and gets stuck. I've tried to set it up twice. On two different set-ups. Same thing. So I ended up putting my original Evo back on until I can order some springs from Odyssey. I love Odyssey parts. I probably have $3500 or more of their stuff in my parts collection. I'm a brake tuning autist and I can't see them releasing a POS part in this day and age...so I'm convinced that the guy sent the wrong springs / hardware with it.

What about the angle of the cable entering the brake arm? I was getting a grinding noise from that. Sounding like metal crunching / grinding. I grabbed where the brake cable meets the arms and moved it around..then tweaked it to make sure everything was centered. A TINY bit of lithium grease or a drop of oil helps when applied where the actual cable slides on the arm (on the cable side of the brake)..

Also, the only times I've ever heard / felt that grinding / crunching noise was with Evo brakes. When they are set up on the front. They seem to do that when the cable isn't centered. Meaning, the cable itself is just a mm or so off from being centered thrugh the brake arms for some reason. And the only real difference with the 2.5 is the room for a fat tire. So I'm sure they still have that issue from time to time.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 03:49:04 PM by Voodoo »
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.