Author Topic: How important is PSI? Any tricks that require lower PSI?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline JamieRomoser

• Forkglider
How important is PSI? Any tricks that require lower PSI?
« on: September 25, 2020, 08:18:18 PM »
How important is PSI? Any tricks that require lower PSI?

Haven’t found much information on YouTube or even Google besides 100 psi seems to be the meta?
Is this just for turbines? Are there any hybrid PSI levels you like say if you where to do a flatland line with grinding on a ledge or some street element?
Street riders now seem to run 35-70 it seems
Bowl riders seem to go 60-90 (been noticing riders like Jay Dalton and Jeff Watts becomes really good at front nose tricks pedal fives nose Hang fives manuels ect) but also I’m noticing more front nose tricks from a lot of street riders that run lower psi (Courage Adams I think is running 50 and Simone Barraco says he runs 35)

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
Re: How important is PSI? Any tricks that require lower PSI?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 10:35:45 PM »
It all comes down to personal preference. Old school tricks, pressure doesn't matter. Pressure became an important factor during the mid-school years, when rolling tricks begsn to tske center stage. I have rode with 60psi on 1.75 tires, but no lower. You'll notice the sluggishness on every turn with pressure too low.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »
less psi = more stable but sluggish, more psi = less rolling resistance but more twitchy and tougher for hands and legs.

Obviously new school flatland that is all about rolling and spinning requires 100+ psi,if you add street tricks you will be better with lower than that

Offline charlier

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 03:27:46 PM »
Preference on what works for you really.

For us thicc riders (230lbs), running 45psi seems impossible (factory ares tires) if you are trying to do any sort of spinning trick well. If I roll in a straight line I'm okay, if I'm doing any sort of scuff or squeak I'm fine, but when I start spinning I can hear the tires being mushy and its very slow / sluggish.

I'm putting about 65psi in my current tires now, and I'm waiting to inevitably blow out the side of these things. I have a set of Frequency G's coming so I can run 100'ish psi with less fear of blowing out and I expecting that it will provide a more firm tire that isn't screaming under my weight.