Author Topic: Mounting Rear Brakes...  (Read 3061 times)

Offline BitShack

Mounting Rear Brakes...
« on: September 21, 2020, 08:45:23 PM »
So I just bought this frame to use as my main frame once I get everything transferred over from my Zippo...the frame will also be gradually upgraded over time. I noticed something kind of odd about it though - the 990 mounts are on top of the chainstays, and I don't see any sort of cable routing holes welded to the frame...I want to run rear brakes on it with a gyro, any suggestions?

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
Re: Mounting Rear Brakes...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 01:17:51 PM »
Something else odd, what is it on that fork arm ? Is that added material? How are the weight of these stuffs btw?
Hope you have the rear pegs that come with the frame. Good luck #fashionoverfunction

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
  • You live for something or die for nothing....
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 08:00:03 PM »
Fish bone parts are more for display than real bmx riding, I read that from the owner and that totally makes sense.

Offline BitShack

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 08:36:39 PM »
Something else odd, what is it on that fork arm ? Is that added material? How are the weight of these stuffs btw?
Hope you have the rear pegs that come with the frame. Good luck #fashionoverfunction

Its a NOS frame that comes with all 4 pegs. When I get it I will find out the weight of it...the frame is full CrMo so it should weigh less than my Zippo. The added material on the fork arm is probably just for show...a welded on Fishbone logo.

Offline BitShack

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 08:38:09 PM »
Fish bone parts are more for display than real bmx riding, I read that from the owner and that totally makes sense.

I figured this bike isn't going to be the greatest function-wise but it should perform better than my Zippo. Part of the reason I got it was kinda for the looks, but most of it was just the fact that it is going to be lighter than my current bike.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 09:55:02 PM »
That frame came out 5 years ago. I don't think any flatlander actually built that frame up.
It was aimed for midschool collectors. I haven't seen any built up so I'm not sure how the brakes were set up.

Offline BitShack

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 02:57:44 AM »
I actually just built up the frame and figured out the brakes, theres holes drilled in the tubes that conjoin the two top tubes that allow you to run a cable through them. I can't really describe the rest very well, but here is an image of the brake setup I did:

Try to ignore the massive sprocket, it will be changed out along with the wheelset when I can afford it.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 04:06:23 PM »

ok, that's great there is a way actually!
and is that make the bike lighter than the one you had?

Offline BitShack

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 12:41:03 AM »
Currently the bike is about the same weight due to the sheer weight of the drivetrain and wheels. I will be buying modern parts for it so that the bike isn't so heavy.