Author Topic: St Martin/ Liberte Opera 2  (Read 412 times)

Offline i love sharin foo

St Martin/ Liberte Opera 2
« on: September 05, 2020, 09:54:16 PM »
I've recently started riding again after about 14 years away and just put my new setup together. I started with a new Ares A Plus (which is a fine bike itself). My wrists are in pretty rough shape these days after many years of skating, so the plan is to lighten things up to make it a bit easier on me. I kept swapping parts till not much remained of the A Plus. Its weighing in at 23.325 pounds at the moment. My plans are to build new wheels, using either a KHE Greyhound or an Odyssey Clutch V2 on GSport Rollcage rims. I've noticed those Tubolito tubes also and it looks like there's some nice weight to drop there, too. I would also love to swap cranks for something lighter like a 150mm Profil Mini Magnutanium with the Ti spindle. I can already notice an improvement in my wrists after going from 26+ down to 23.325. A couple more pounds would be great.

Frame: St Martin/ Liberte Opera 2 (19" TT)
Forks: St Martin/ Liberte Champs-Elysees Zero offset & revolver compression bolt
Stem: Madera Mast Top Load 36mm
Bars: Deep/ Autumn Escobars
Bar ends: Armour Bikes Polaris
Headset: Odyssey Conical Pro (and some generic spacers)
Crank: 3 piece 160mm Cromoly (from Ares A Plus complete)
Sprocket: steel 25T Ares
Chain: black KMC 410
Pedals: Odyssey Twisted PC
Wheels: stock from Ares A Plus complete (for now)
Tires: Ares A Class 1.90
Front Brake: Tektro 907 (soon to be an Odyssey Evo 2)
Front Brake Lever: Odyssey MonoLever (short)
Seat: Infinity kevlar Pivotal
Seat Post: S&M
Pegs: Infinity Xa

Apologies that the photos don't look too great. The lens on my phone is cracked.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 07:20:25 PM by i love sharin foo »

Offline Mambocowboy

• Funky Chicken
Re: St Martin/ Liberte Opera 2
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 02:29:29 AM »
I've recently started riding again after about 14 years away and just put my new setup together. I started with a new Ares A Plus (which is a fine bike itself). My wrists are in pretty rough shape these days after many years of skating, so the plan is to lighten things up to make it a bit easier on me. I kept swapping parts till not much remained of the A Plus. Its weighing in at 23.325 pounds at the moment. My plans are to build new wheels, using either a KHE Greyhound or an Odyssey Clutch V2 on GSport Rollcage rims. I've noticed those Tubolito tubes also and it looks like there's some nice weight to drop there, too. I would also love to swap cranks for something lighter like a 150mm Profil Mini Magnutanium with the Ti spindle. I can already notice an improvement in my wrists after going from 26+ down to 23.325. A couple more pounds would be great.

Frame: St Martin/ Liberte Opera 2 (19" TT)
Forks: St Martin/ Liberte Champs-Elysees Zero offset & revolver compression bolt
Stem: Madera Mast Top Load 36mm
Bars: Deep/ Autumn Escobars
Bar ends: Armour Bikes Polaris
Headset: Odyssey Conical Pro (and some generic spacers)
Crank: 3 piece 160mm Cromoly (from Ares A Plus complete)

Sprocket: steel 25T Ares

Chain: black KMC 410
Pedals: Odyssey Twisted PC
Wheels: stock from Ares A Plus complete (for now)
Tires: Ares A Class 1.90
Front Brake: Tektro 907 (soon to be an Odyssey Evo 2)
Front Brake Lever: Odyssey MonoLever (short)
Seat: Infinity kevlar Pivotal
Seat Post: S&M
Pegs: Infinity Xa

Apologies that the photos don't look too great. The lens on my phone is cracked.

Your bike looks good. I did the same thing. There is nothing left of my AresAFX. Bike went from 24.9 to about 19.6 lbs. I don't have anything TItanium but I say if you can afford it go for it. I was watching Viki Gomez's instagram and 6 months ago he won't from a chromoly 9kg bike to 6kg all titanium. He said his tendonitis has disappeared and he has no intention of going back to chromoly. But it's pricey. Ti frame is $1500, ti forks $500, ti bars $300,  ti cranks $400, ti fc hub $300...

Offline i love sharin foo

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 07:05:13 PM »
Titanium would be great! But alas, my pocketbook can't do it. I'm hoping to pick up the rest of my weight savings from a careful selection of hubs, rims, and tubes. And finally after that, the crank. I think I can drop somewhere in the ballpark of 2.5lbs between them. Or at least that is the plan!

Offline Mambocowboy

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 08:33:43 PM »
Titanium would be great! But alas, my pocketbook can't do it. I'm hoping to pick up the rest of my weight savings from a careful selection of hubs, rims, and tubes. And finally after that, the crank. I think I can drop somewhere in the ballpark of 2.5lbs between them. Or at least that is the plan!
I think I dropped 3lbs on wheels alone. Tires and rims are easy ways to drop alot of weight

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 02:13:18 AM »
I recommend lighter pedals. I currently run odyssey twisted pedals, but they are on the heavy side for plastic pedals. I'm going to switch to a pair of DMR V6 plastic pedals. Much lighter.