Author Topic: Bigger riders  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Rep300

Bigger riders
« on: August 24, 2020, 06:11:55 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm getting back into flatland after decades away. Only thing is that I spent the past 30 yrs in the weight room, so I'm a rather large guy for BMX.

Who are some of the bigger guys you've seen still successfully ride flatand?

I'm just over 6 foot and still weigh 255lbs. However I could see myself coming down to 240 if I really wanted to, just for riding purposes.

Hope I don't break bones on day one! haha. Falling hurts at my size and age.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Bigger riders
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »
Hi, glad you are back. I'm 6 foot but weigh 60 lbs less than you. Parts will break and you will learn the brands that hold up better than others. As far as falling, knowing how to fall is mostly it. Also reconditioning your body to deal with the posture and stance on the pegs will take some time. Don't want to push it too hard too fast and end up throwing your back out or anything else. I know Art Thomason is about 6' 1 and he is pushing it among many others. Hope this helps!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline bmxgoat95

Re: Bigger riders
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 08:52:18 AM »
Hello,
One of my friends weighs around 230 lbs and he recently got back to riding a bmx as well. He really enjoys it, but he hurts himself sometimes and he had to buy a new BMX that really fit his weight better. But at the end of the day, he's glad that he came back. He just goes back to riding one step at a time and not overdoing it too much. Just push yourself once every now and then