Author Topic: Selecting parts for a new rear wheel  (Read 12942 times)

Offline vortexblue

Re: Selecting parts for a new rear wheel
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2021, 06:44:13 PM »
Just another angle at this:
I had 2 completes: a KHE Evo 0.F and a Colony Apprentice.
The apprentice had a solid front axle and the KHE had a hollow axle.  At 1 point, I swapped the wheels and the hollow axle wheel on the colony made some very concerning pops and other bad sounds.  It had difficulty spinning smoothly.
After some troubleshooting and rebuilding the hub 2x, I found the dropouts on the Colony fork were slightly 'toed-out' (like in car steering alignment).  The wheel would work fine off the bike, then, as I would tighten the front wheel, I suppose the fork was stronger than the bolts/ axle and would tweak the axle.  With every turn of the axle bolt, the wheel would bind more.

I ended up taking a larger adjustable wrench and aligned the dropouts straight. I used a pair of long straightedges and a machinists scale to measure that they were parallel.  The wheel popped right in and tightened just fine.  No more crunching, the wheel rode smooth.
So that was a fork issue.  Not saying that's the issue here, though.

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2021, 06:49:34 PM »
Op stated it felt crunchy off the bike .

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2021, 06:51:27 PM »
Buy a new wheel and ship the old one back. Pat will give you a credit. Ridiculous you're still dealing with this. I feel bad for you man. The parts should work 100% the day you get them!!!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2021, 07:18:50 PM »
Im thinking about going with the madera gulfcoaster hub instead .I didnt want a pawl based freecoaster but it is what it is I guess .

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2021, 07:21:04 PM »
Buy a new wheel and ship the old one back. Pat will give you a credit. Ridiculous you're still dealing with this. I feel bad for you man. The parts should work 100% the day you get them!!!

It's been going on for so long because I took forever in responding to and then sending back my wheel to flatlandfuel. It took me almost a month to get the wheel back in their hands. Both Pat and Armour Bikes have been responsive and helpful, the delay is my own fault. They have given me several options to choose from. I think I am going to have Pat swap it out for a different hub. Would have gone with the GSport but those don't appear to be in stock at FF at the moment. Maybe an odyssey, currently they have Vandero pro and C5 available, not sure yet I'm still looking around.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 07:28:36 PM by aliasdck »

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2021, 10:22:59 PM »
Man I wish Pat was willing to work with me .Glad your getting taken care of though.

Offline pine

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2021, 11:55:53 AM »
Hey guys , do you have any experience with the eclat cortex fc??
Caribbean sun rocks    !!!

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2021, 03:08:58 PM »
Cortex is a khe clone .

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2021, 04:49:19 PM »
Ended up having the armour hub swapped for a profile mini. Would have gone with a GSport but out of stock at the moment. Should have the wheel back in my hands within a week I estimate based on previous shipping times. Will be nice to finally be able to use it.

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2021, 05:08:17 PM »
Good to hear .I think odyssey is sending out a replacement wheel .

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2021, 05:16:14 AM »
Nice smsabb, so you're gettin take care of then too?

Looks like my wheel will be delivered day after tomorrow (Saturday). Will be nice to finally be able to use it!

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2021, 03:17:22 PM »
Yeah hopefully I should have my new wheel this upcoming tuesday .I kinda wish I would have just bought a hoop and kept using my nankai hub .

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2021, 04:41:15 PM »
sick yall hope the installs go well and can get some time in this weekend absolutely destroying it. Get fresh rim strips in there too!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2021, 05:31:15 PM »
I am going to reuse my Velox tape ,As I have had it less than a month .

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2021, 06:56:21 PM »
Lol this is the first time I've actually used real quality rim strips, went with st Martin high pressure ones. Always just used electrical or masking tape over those really flimsy ones you get on a cheap wheel. Decided I might as well step it up finally.