Author Topic: Selecting parts for a new rear wheel  (Read 12940 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Selecting parts for a new rear wheel
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2021, 08:16:22 PM »
Ok, I've been talking with Pat and he wants me to try a couple different things before escalating to warranty replacement. TBH, I may just give up and buy a different hub instead. If I do so, Any good recommendations based on what's currently available at flatlandfuel? I'd prefer something not too heavy that still has good build quality and is reliable. I really dislike hubs when there is noticeable rolling resistance especially from side load during tricks where when rolling/carving in a circle.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2021, 09:01:42 PM »
Ok, I've been talking with Pat and he wants me to try a couple different things before escalating to warranty replacement. TBH, I may just give up and buy a different hub instead. If I do so, Any good recommendations based on what's currently available at flatlandfuel? I'd prefer something not too heavy that still has good build quality and is reliable. I really dislike hubs when there is noticeable rolling resistance especially from side load during tricks where when rolling/carving in a circle.
I had albes build me a wheel with alienation Tinman hub and alienation malice hub. Free build, very light  and problem free.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2021, 09:17:25 PM »
like I said you can NEVER go wrong with odsy / gsport. I had the same thing happen to me on a $$$ set of Ti profile hubs that rolled completely fuct and it was the most frustrating thing in the world. Just check the most recent negative feedback I got regarding the sale and how I backed out. partly bc my old show manager wanted them and I just didn't feel comfortable selling them to another flatlander who might have noticed them rolling slow too.

that being said I went Odyssey front hub and Merrit rear FC (now am on a FEC) and haven't looked back.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2021, 09:28:38 PM »
I haven't given up on the current hub just yet but we'll see. I may try contacting armour bikes directly myself and see if they have any thoughts.

Looks like currently flatlandfuel has gsport rollaway, odyssey C5 and Odyssey Vandero. If I do end going with another hub I'll have to see if the physical specs line up close enough so that I can possibly reuse the same spokes. Never actually built up a wheel on my own but might as well learn now if I do decide to swap hubs.

Offline Rep300

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2021, 09:24:07 AM »
Pat did my wheels, and I got chrome Birdcages and love them. GSport Roloway in the front. I had him put an AlienNation FC in the back because I asked for whichever one had the least amount of slack. So far I'm extremely happy. Hope you can figure out that hub.

At this point, I'd just send it back and have him throw a different hub in it. Toss a spare wheel on the front for a few days, and ride like one of those dudes that don't care that their wheels don't match! lol.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2021, 03:12:03 PM »
Pat first wants me to make a video which I'm planning to do this weekend, then we'll see what armour bikes says about it. If it turns into a headache I'll just go with a different hub. Would have preferred to have done this video sooner but work has made it difficult to get enough time in my garage to do much of anything lately...

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2021, 09:32:03 PM »
That really sucks that the armor front hub is giving you a hard time .I just purchased a clutch v2 wheel and it had side to side "play" out of the box ,I got a replacement driver and it still has side to side "play"

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2021, 10:32:27 PM »
So horrible to get something and have it defective out of the box, big dissapointment.

I shipped the wheel back to Pat last week and I think it just got delivered Monday. Pats gonna take a look at it and then working with armour he will let me know what they're gonna do. Hopefully I'll hear back something soon.

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2021, 12:21:57 AM »
I hope he replaces it with a g sport hub .I love my gsport hub

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2021, 03:54:30 AM »
If it ends up being that I need to go with another hub then yea I was thinking GSport. Unfortunately flatlandfuel doesn't show stock of any at the moment. If they can get the armour one running good though I'll be happy with it, I like the way it looks.

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2021, 11:48:04 AM »
Im sorry this happened. I currently ride & sell  Armour Hubs & couldn't be happier. I hope you get this resolved. If there;s anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask...

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2021, 03:00:34 PM »
What exactly was the hub doing?I suspect that something in the manufacturing process went awry and something isnt up to specs .Thats what odyssey claims with my hub .

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2021, 03:12:07 PM »
Now that I saw your description there are 2 things it could be ,1 bad bearings or 2 the axle is machined wrong .I dont think the cones are the issue ,But since I dont have the hub in front of me I cant diagnose it .

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2021, 05:47:19 PM »
Yea that's kinda what i was thinking. When off the bike and then spun by hand I could feel some grinding/vibration coming from the bearings. Like almost as if there was dirt in there. Not enough that it made any audible noise but enough that I can feel it in my hands that are holding the axle as the wheel rotates.

Hopefully I'll hear something back soon. I bought this wheel quite awhile ago, I'd be nice to actually start using it soon.

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2021, 05:51:23 PM »
Hmmm probally crap bearings then .