Author Topic: Selecting parts for a new rear wheel  (Read 12959 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Selecting parts for a new rear wheel
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 02:05:51 AM »
What about the sun envy lite rim? Like 60-70g lighter at only 330g (!) , these weren't available on FF when I was doing research before but just looked today and they are there again now. So I might consider the lite version now too... hmm... any comments on these? I still haven't pulled the trigger on the order but will be doing so any day now. Only decision I still need to make is which rims, considering either 1)sun envy 2)sun envy lite 3)g-sport birdcage

Sorry to keep bugging everyone but thanks for all the advice

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 02:55:59 AM »
What about the sun envy lite rim? Like 60-70g lighter at only 330g (!) , these weren't available on FF when I was doing research before but just looked today and they are there again now. So I might consider the lite version now too... hmm... any comments on these? I still haven't pulled the trigger on the order but will be doing so any day now. Only decision I still need to make is which rims, considering either 1)sun envy 2)sun envy lite 3)g-sport birdcage

Sorry to keep bugging everyone but thanks for all the advice
I have a sun envy lite with double butted spokes built by flatlandfuel with no issues.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 06:19:33 PM »
Sun Envy are amazing rims just keep the spokes nice and tight. Haven't tried the Lite version though. I think Tyler Gilliard was riding it on the front and killing it with no issues
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 10:45:26 PM »
Thank you very much guys, I'm gonna give it a few more days of thought and researching around then decide and  place the order. Cant wait!

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 11:51:21 AM »
If you haven't ordered or built your wheels yet, you may also consider Alienation Malice Rims. They are only 325 Grams & are made of a proprietary 6069 Alum & they weigh in at 325 Grams (11.5oz) which in my opinion is the best strength to weight ratio for any rims out there. They are just slightly lighter than the Envy Lite Rims, but also stronger. If you're interested, hmu. BTW, they're also available in Chrome.

Offline razorlab

• Forkglider
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 05:15:42 PM »
I recently built up my own set of custom wheels. I hadn't built a wheel in over 20 years and everything came out just fine.

They are really light, while still being decently strong. I'm super happy with them so far, however, I am no pro rider. I like running my spokes pretty tight and have had no issues so far. Besides the normal break-in re-true, I have had no issues with things loosening up or losing true.

Front:
Alienation Malice Rim
Ares Hub
Sapim double butted spokes
Sapim alum nipples
1.6 lbs

Rear:
Alienation Deviant Rim
Ezra Hub
Sapim double butted spokes
Sapim alum nipples
2.3 lbs

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 07:46:31 PM »
If you haven't ordered or built your wheels yet, you may also consider Alienation Malice Rims. They are only 325 Grams & are made of a proprietary 6069 Alum & they weigh in at 325 Grams (11.5oz) which in my opinion is the best strength to weight ratio for any rims out there. They are just slightly lighter than the Envy Lite Rims, but also stronger. If you're interested, hmu. BTW, they're also available in Chrome.
Malice is a great rim. I have one in chrome which looks super dope.

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 10:32:09 AM »
I love mine as well

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2021, 11:53:28 PM »
New wheelset arrived yesterday. I'm happy with how they turned out. New rear wheel alone is over 2lbs lighter then the old one, part of this is because I'm going from frequency g with thick tube to area a-class with thinner tube, but the lighter hub+spokes+rims is where the majority of weight loss comes from.

Thank you everyone for all the help and advice 👍 I'm letting the tires stretch for a few days by slowly increasing pressure, so I won't be giving them their first try for a 2-3 days.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2021, 12:52:54 AM »
New wheelset arrived yesterday. I'm happy with how they turned out. New rear wheel alone is over 2lbs lighter then the old one, part of this is because I'm going from frequency g with thick tube to area a-class with thinner tube, but the lighter hub+spokes+rims is where the majority of weight loss comes from.

Thank you everyone for all the help and advice 👍 I'm letting the tires stretch for a few days by slowly increasing pressure, so I won't be giving them their first try for a 2-3 days.

I love my Ares tires. Better than Box imo.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2021, 03:31:25 AM »

Nonsense that’s just Pat reducing the liability he bears from the tires blowing up. Air em up and ride it same day

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2021, 03:32:23 AM »
They look great tho man mad props on the new wheel set. Curious to see how those “lite” version rims hold up

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2021, 03:47:21 AM »
Nonsense that’s just Pat reducing the liability he bears from the tires blowing up. Air em up and ride it same day

That may very well be the case but so far every a class I've over owned failed from a blowout due to failure of the bead. One immediately after inflating, the second 15 minutes after inflating during a hang 5 (scary!) the third randomly blew over night after having been fine and stable at the same pressure for a few weeks and I think I may have even had a fourth that made it for awhile too but can't remember now. All of these were on wider then recommended rims (hazard lites) and admittedly a few psi higher then I should have gone, so I consider these failures mostly my fault.

But... I figured trying to ease them into near their rated psi can't hurt plus I'm not ready to switch yet anyways (lazy and dreading the adjustment to new tires period). I put 85 psi into them this morning, now up to 95 psi and then I'll go to 105 before bed. Tomorrow 115 then they day after 120 which is when I'm planning to install them and test em out. Overkill, I know, but i wasn't planning on installing them until then anyways.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2021, 03:57:06 AM »
They look great tho man mad props on the new wheel set. Curious to see how those “lite” version rims hold up

Thank you. I weigh about 180 lbs for and never really do anything hard on my wheels like any jumping just regular rolling tricks mostly. Never tried a whopper either and don't plan on it for the foreseeable future, so I think, for me at least, they should hopefully hold up pretty well 🤞  Pat said they are a great rim and should hold up quite well for my level of riding. He also said he only gets a few of them here and there and that they always sell out quickly, so I immediately purchased both when originally I was planning to only buy the rear now and front in a few months.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 04:05:49 AM »
Quote from: mambocowboy
I love my Ares tires. Better than Box imo.

The short times I've ridden on ares tires I've loved them too. Went with 1.75s for now, though I've been considering trying the 1.9s at some point. I had a box on my rear wheel over the winter. I hated it at first, something about it felt really off but after a week and some wear in, I grew to like it but not enough that I'll be buying another pair. Sure are light weight though but also quite thin, I had several punctures over its life that might not have happened had it been a little thicker.