Author Topic: Selecting parts for a new rear wheel  (Read 12885 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Selecting parts for a new rear wheel
« on: August 17, 2020, 02:13:26 AM »
My current rear wheel is 15-20 years old. It is a 3/8" nankai technolite freecoaster (48H), chrome odyssey hazard lite rim, and I believe just generic 14g spokes with 3x lacing pattern. The chrome on the rim is chipping, it's due for a rebuild soon and the wheel is heavy by today's standards so I'm starting to save up for a whole new wheel that I will have flatlandfuel build. I have never done this before instead I've always got my wheels either second hand or already prebuilt - I've never selected the parts individually myself. So while I am saving the money needed I am doing research on what I want in the meantime.

I'm curious if anyone has any advice or recommendations. Here is what I'm thinking so far:

Far East Cycles Freecoaster (36H)
GSport Birdcage Rim
14g double butted spokes
Brass nipples
Probably 3x lacing

I'm trying to build a light but still decently strong wheel. I only ride flatland, no street or park riding. I also use brakes so need a rim with enough surface area for the pads. A few questions:

1) If I have the money, is there any reason not to upgrade the axle/driver to titanium? Like, have people had any problems with the freecoaster working properly when upgraded? Anything special I need to consider with the titanium upgrade.

2) I'll probably go with 14mm since my dropouts are 14mm but my current setup uses a 3/8 axle with adapters and I like this because the adapter protects the threads of axle from damage when the integrated chain tensioner bolt tightens down on it. I'm worried that without anything to protect the 14mm axle, that the integrated chain tensioner bolt will start to damage the axle threads. Or is there another way to protect the threads? Or is the damage minimal and of little concern?

3) Would you recommend anything different, like a different rim, spokes, freecoaster, 48H instead of 36H, etc?

Thank you very much for any input you can provide!

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Re: Selecting parts for a new rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 04:19:14 AM »
My current rear wheel is 15-20 years old. It is a 3/8" nankai technolite freecoaster (48H), chrome odyssey hazard lite rim, and I believe just generic 14g spokes with 3x lacing pattern. The chrome on the rim is chipping, it's due for a rebuild soon and the wheel is heavy by today's standards so I'm starting to save up for a whole new wheel that I will have flatlandfuel build. I have never done this before instead I've always got my wheels either second hand or already prebuilt - I've never selected the parts individually myself. So while I am saving the money needed I am doing research on what I want in the meantime.

I'm curious if anyone has any advice or recommendations. Here is what I'm thinking so far:

Far East Cycles Freecoaster (36H)
GSport Birdcage Rim
14g double butted spokes
Brass nipples
Probably 3x lacing

I'm trying to build a light but still decently strong wheel. I only ride flatland, no street or park riding. I also use brakes so need a rim with enough surface area for the pads. A few questions:

1) If I have the money, is there any reason not to upgrade the axle/driver to titanium? Like, have people had any problems with the freecoaster working properly when upgraded? Anything special I need to consider with the titanium upgrade.

2) I'll probably go with 14mm since my dropouts are 14mm but my current setup uses a 3/8 axle with adapters and I like this because the adapter protects the threads of axle from damage when the integrated chain tensioner bolt tightens down on it. I'm worried that without anything to protect the 14mm axle, that the integrated chain tensioner bolt will start to damage the axle threads. Or is there another way to protect the threads? Or is the damage minimal and of little concern?

3) Would you recommend anything different, like a different rim, spokes, freecoaster, 48H instead of 36H, etc?

Thank you very much for any input you can provide!
Ti FEC coaster needs additional space. Dub has a video about it if you google it. I have regular FEC coaster and its great.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 03:03:20 PM »
Hi aliasdck,
1. Sorry no experience with it.2. I use 14 mm axles for about 20 years now and don't like 3/8". The problem with the integrated chain tensioners is there. My (steel) threads are a little damaged. Maybe I will have trouble when I want to remove the cone nuts. Some guy here on GF posted a video in another thread where it is shown how to modify (grind, cut...) an axle adapter to use it as a small plate that you can put between the screw and you axle to protect the threads. I did not try it but is sound good. In every case there are options and this should not prevent you from buying a 14 mm axle.
3. I still use 48 H and like it, but the availability of parts is so bad that maybe it is not a good idea. I would definitely use double butted spokes (2 - 1.8 - 2 is no problem, 2 - 1.5 - 2 are a little more flexible but if you tighten them a little more I would say it work but have them only used 48 H wheels) and I would also recommend aluminium nipples. I never had any issue with them and they are much lighter. With G-Sport rims you cannot be so wrong. I never tried the FEC hub. I personally find it critical that it has only two pawls where almost every cassette hub has three or more. I wonder how long this can work, but I have not heard anything bad about the FEC hub so far. For a backwheel I typically use 3-cross-lacing and never had problems.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:37:25 PM »
Thank you Daddycool, your advice is always so thorough, helpful and thus is greatly appreciated. I think I remember the post you are talking about (the one about protecting the axle from the integrated chain tensioner) I had just forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I will find it and reread it. Thanks again!

Quote from: Mambocoyboy
Ti FEC coaster needs additional space. Dub has a video about it if you google it. I have regular FEC coaster and its great.
Thank you Mamboycowboy, I think I know which videos you are talking about and I will give them a watch.

👍

I'm not sure if I am going to bother with upgrading the axle/driver to titanium yet. Seems like a very expensive way just to loose a little weight (It's $170 USD for the upgrade and only 80 grams lighter on the 14mm version). On the other hand, this weight is located near the end of the bike so it may make a noticeable impact for front wheel tricks when the rear of the bike is whipping around or just acting as a counter balance. I'll have to give it some more thought and hopefully somebody who has used it comes along - I don't think I will risk the upgrade unless somebody already has and says it worked well for them.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 11:26:35 PM »
Thank you! I think we have a similar understanding of many things, that is why we have a good basis for discussions. I always enjoy your posts because you have clear thoughts and precise questions/remarks.
I would not say that 80 g do not play a role, but one should not forget here that the steel version is also very light and your whole backwheel will be much lighter anyway! So I would start with the steel version. You can also save weight with pegs, tires, tubes for example and this is much cheaper.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 01:38:32 AM »
Thank you! I think we have a similar understanding of many things, that is why we have a good basis for discussions. I always enjoy your posts because you have clear thoughts and precise questions/remarks.
I would not say that 80 g do not play a role, but one should not forget here that the steel version is also very light and your whole backwheel will be much lighter anyway! So I would start with the steel version. You can also save weight with pegs, tires, tubes for example and this is much cheaper.
Tires, tubes, and rims indeed.  Realized the Fuego 2.3 tires on my flybikes street complete weigh 29.9 ounces each! Am replacing them with 1.95 primo e comets which weigh 13 ounces each...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 04:38:22 AM »
Yes I bought new lighter pegs, tires and tubes a few weeks ago but didn't get around to installing them until just a few minutes ago. My bike lost decent amount of weight with this upgrade, but a big part of that is going from frequency G tires to bob hex tires which are very light, but I'm not sure how I will like them yet. Tomorrow morning I give them a test ride, so I might go back to the frequency G if I don't like them.

According to my scale bike now weighs about 24.6 lbs (11.2 kg). Not super  light but much better then when I first got back into riding over a year and a half ago, back then it was closer to 29 lbs (13.2 kg) if memory serves me right.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 08:19:00 AM »
Yes I bought new lighter pegs, tires and tubes a few weeks ago but didn't get around to installing them until just a few minutes ago. My bike lost decent amount of weight with this upgrade, but a big part of that is going from frequency G tires to bob hex tires which are very light, but I'm not sure how I will like them yet. Tomorrow morning I give them a test ride, so I might go back to the frequency G if I don't like them.

According to my scale bike now weighs about 24.6 lbs (11.2 kg). Not super  light but much better then when I first got back into riding over a year and a half ago, back then it was closer to 29 lbs (13.2 kg) if memory serves me right.
I have the box hex to. Waiting on my new wheels to try them out...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 12:01:36 AM »
I am finally done saving for this and so I'm about to purchase a new wheelset. I still think I am going to go with 14mm FEC freecoaster probably steel not titanium but doing some last minute research on all available coasters before deciding. I'm open to any suggestions. Gonna go with either the GSport Birdcage or Sun Envy rims.

I also still need to pick out a good lightweight reliable front hub, any suggestions considering what's currently available from flatlandfuel?

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 12:57:24 AM »
I am finally done saving for this and so I'm about to purchase a new wheelset. I still think I am going to go with 14mm FEC freecoaster probably steel not titanium but doing some last minute research on all available coasters before deciding. I'm open to any suggestions. Gonna go with either the GSport Birdcage or Sun Envy rims.

I also still need to pick out a good lightweight reliable front hub, any suggestions considering what's currently available from flatlandfuel?
Update. I am riding both steel and ti fc on my bikes. Riding the ti without additional spacer with no issues. I like light front hubs. Have alienation tinman. Coolest looking imo is armour bikes grenade front hub, also very light yet likely also very durable.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 04:29:08 PM »
Thanks for the update mambocowboy!

That grenade hub looks like a great option, I may decide to go with it. I have also been considering getting an FEC front hub, kinda just to 'match' the FEC freecoaster on the rear. The regular FEC front hub looks decent enough but then there is also the carbon fiber version which is very light (140g), I'm just not sure yet if a carbon fiber shell hub is a good idea as a flatland hub. Been searching around to see if I can find any reviews. Anyone here use it and have anything to say about it?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 07:25:49 PM »
There is really no big advantage going with the TI driver. You can loose more weight for cheaper on other parts.
I use Khe freecoasters and haven't had any major issue with them, even the aluminum axle has held up for years.

There are lighter rims, but you can't go wrong with G-Sport. I also have them, they are super strong and stiff.

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 01:06:58 PM »
Thanks for the update mambocowboy!

That grenade hub looks like a great option, I may decide to go with it. I have also been considering getting an FEC front hub, kinda just to 'match' the FEC freecoaster on the rear. The regular FEC front hub looks decent enough but then there is also the carbon fiber version which is very light (140g), I'm just not sure yet if a carbon fiber shell hub is a good idea as a flatland hub. Been searching around to see if I can find any reviews. Anyone here use it and have anything to say about it?

Hi Aliasdck, I was reading your thread & I have the Armour F-1 Grenade Hub available in my Shop. I currently run it on my bike. I also have Sun Envy Rims in stock as well. If there's anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask. My Shop is here: http://www.flatsocietybmx.com

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »
Thank you FlatSociety, it's been awhile since I've checked out your site. It's looking great. I have already made plans to get the new wheels through flatlandfuel. There are some additional things I'll need soon, like tires and pegs etc so I'll probably be placing an order on your site sometime soon.

It's nice to have more then one flatland specific shop to choose from. I love flatlandfuel but it's always nice to have more options. Plus you seem to carry some different things which is always nice.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 11:12:40 PM »
envy rims,good.
khe freecoasters,good.