Author Topic: New Bike Day - Colony Apprentice - and questions  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Sensei

New Bike Day - Colony Apprentice - and questions
« on: August 13, 2020, 06:54:23 AM »
I can't believe it! I bought my first flatland BMX.  Chain Reaction was sold out of the 2019 Colony Apprentice, which I've been drooling over for months (almost bought a 2011 on FB shipped, but glad I waited).  Everywhere said the 2020 would be restocked in October but $150 more.  Being home with the kids during this COVID time had got me jonesing for a BMX bike.  CR somehow restocked the 2019 after I checked daily for 4 months! I ordered it right away and it finally arrived. I heard the 2020 has upgraded freecoaster, but I had to keep my budget in check.

Some questions, figured I'd post them all here, but I'll check the threads for specifics, too.  I've loved flatland since I was 10. I'm 37 now. Haven't owned a BMX since I was 10, but I've rode all kinds of mountain bikes my whole life, road bikes and cruisers, so this is all new and some of the tech.

1) How do you know the right tension on the chain? I tightened my rear axle nuts down at a point where it's not too tight on the chain, but has a bit of flop to it, still.  Related, I hear a click/pop every now and then when pedaling, which I guess is coming from the chain getting caught on a tooth or two?

2) The brakes squeal like crazy. I assume it's crappy stock pads from Colony? What do you use? I have some Aztec2 pads that seem the same I could swap with.

3) What PSI do you run? The Colony Exon tires don't specify (online says 110 max).

4) My detangler was clicking and flip flopping when bars moved, but I learned I had to adjust the barrel tension, however, they are now nearly all the way out on both top and bottom of the detangler, and it seems smooth. Is that normal to be adjusted that far out?

5) Freecoaster. Whoa, didn't realize this was so complicated.  I'm going to watch some videos on how they work, but I was going to ask on the engagement "hiccup" after you pedal backwards, the pedals drop 3-4" before it engages again, but that seems normal.  Also, I noticed if I pedal backwards some, it will actual pedal the cranks backwards too for a bit, but this is also a normal thing, I seem to read.

6) Front brake cable. What do you do with this U slack? Seems like people cut the housing down to make it a tight U?

7) Have to fine tweak the brakes.  These L/R spring adjustments are new to me, or, I've forgotten about them since I've been using disc brakes for decades.

B) WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING? The videos I see of you guys doing stuff look so sick, but damn this is hard! What do I start with? lol.

Thanks.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Re: New Bike Day - Colony Apprentice - and questions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 08:27:37 AM »
I can't believe it! I bought my first flatland BMX.  Chain Reaction was sold out of the 2019 Colony Apprentice, which I've been drooling over for months (almost bought a 2011 on FB shipped, but glad I waited).  Everywhere said the 2020 would be restocked in October but $150 more.  Being home with the kids during this COVID time had got me jonesing for a BMX bike.  CR somehow restocked the 2019 after I checked daily for 4 months! I ordered it right away and it finally arrived. I heard the 2020 has upgraded freecoaster, but I had to keep my budget in check.

Some questions, figured I'd post them all here, but I'll check the threads for specifics, too.  I've loved flatland since I was 10. I'm 37 now. Haven't owned a BMX since I was 10, but I've rode all kinds of mountain bikes my whole life, road bikes and cruisers, so this is all new and some of the tech.

1) How do you know the right tension on the chain? I tightened my rear axle nuts down at a point where it's not too tight on the chain, but has a bit of flop to it, still.  Related, I hear a click/pop every now and then when pedaling, which I guess is coming from the chain getting caught on a tooth or two?

2) The brakes squeal like crazy. I assume it's crappy stock pads from Colony? What do you use? I have some Aztec2 pads that seem the same I could swap with.

3) What PSI do you run? The Colony Exon tires don't specify (online says 110 max).

4) My detangler was clicking and flip flopping when bars moved, but I learned I had to adjust the barrel tension, however, they are now nearly all the way out on both top and bottom of the detangler, and it seems smooth. Is that normal to be adjusted that far out?

5) Freecoaster. Whoa, didn't realize this was so complicated.  I'm going to watch some videos on how they work, but I was going to ask on the engagement "hiccup" after you pedal backwards, the pedals drop 3-4" before it engages again, but that seems normal.  Also, I noticed if I pedal backwards some, it will actual pedal the cranks backwards too for a bit, but this is also a normal thing, I seem to read.

6) Front brake cable. What do you do with this U slack? Seems like people cut the housing down to make it a tight U?

7) Have to fine tweak the brakes.  These L/R spring adjustments are new to me, or, I've forgotten about them since I've been using disc brakes for decades.

B) WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING? The videos I see of you guys doing stuff look so sick, but damn this is hard! What do I start with? lol.

Thanks.
Clicking sound could be lack of bottom bracket spacer.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 09:47:06 AM »

Matt Wilhelm get you sorted here in less than 35 minutes video length (even if I personnaly do not agree with all the things he said there)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqOSRGNO84Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsTctF-jyH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f7uc6SW7bs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjynkL8Tpc4

regarding the squeal you experiment when you brake, have a look on the toe pad topic here #rubberbandtrickforthewin:
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/u-brake-service

yes 110 psi for that colony tire like said on the colony website

and enjoy with the new toy  :beer:

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 11:52:31 AM »
Hello Sensei, I think you bought a good bike! Some answers:
1. Most riders have their chain really tight, but this causes wear on the bearings of your freecoaster and bottom bracket. So I would not run it super tight, but it should not have more than 1 cm "play" when you press your finger on the chain.
2. Often anodised rims did not brake as good as chromed ones. That is why these typical "clear" brake pads came into the BMX word and they always make a lot of noise. But most riders do not use the brakes so often and only if they really want to stop the wheel so the "digital" function of these pads is what most riders need and so they need to accept the noise.
3. Unless you are super light I would not use less than 100 psi. For rolling tricks and every positon of the bike where the wheel is tilted to the ground this is mandatory.
4. You may try to readjust the last screw that clamps the cable on the brake. It is not a problem if the barrels are far out, but of course it would be better to have some option left.
6. Seeing you photo I would say make it shorter. Have a look on the bikes of other users here (post your bike thread) and you can see how people are doing it.
Have fun!

Offline Sensei

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 07:43:17 AM »

Yeah! These were great links! I learned a lot about brakes.  I tried the toe in rubber band trick but man they still squeal.  I swapped out the back for my Aztec2 pads, and they are perfect. We'll see if they last. May need to get another for up front so I imagine a lot of braking happens there, too.

Matt Wilhelm get you sorted here in less than 35 minutes video length (even if I personnaly do not agree with all the things he said there)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqOSRGNO84Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsTctF-jyH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f7uc6SW7bs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjynkL8Tpc4

regarding the squeal you experiment when you brake, have a look on the toe pad topic here #rubberbandtrickforthewin:
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/u-brake-service

yes 110 psi for that colony tire like said on the colony website

and enjoy with the new toy  :beer:

Offline deacon

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 09:50:43 PM »
Hey Sensei, I'm looking at getting a new, complete bike and it seems like the apprentice is the only available one currently. I'm keeping an eye on ebay too, incase something pops up. Chain reaction is in th UK isn't it? Where you based?

Offline Chaz

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 06:18:07 AM »
Did they mention anything else that might get upgraded? I saw your review today on chainreaction. It was out of stock for a long time and I've been debating the bike as well as there aren't a ton of complete bikes out there for flat.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 07:22:07 AM »

FlatlandFuel has the Ares for $600 and everywhere has said the new Apprentice will be in stock in October, but one place said it will be $600 US. 
I'm in the US. ChainReaction was a dream for shipping, for free, I don't know how that's possible from the UK.  DHL had a week long hiccup though and it arrived a week later than they said.  But totally worth it! I love it.

I was told by one of the dealers that the freecoaster has been upgraded on the 2020 Apprentice, hence the price change, but I'm sure you could do some more official digging on that. 

I checked eBay and local for months for a flatland-specific bike, so when it restocked I was super excited.

Did they mention anything else that might get upgraded? I saw your review today on chainreaction. It was out of stock for a long time and I've been debating the bike as well as there aren't a ton of complete bikes out there for flat.

Offline Chaz

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 05:35:24 AM »
That's great you had a good experience with Chain Reaction. I emailed or chatted with a rep about if they planned to get more in stock and possible ETA when it had been out of stock for a couple months and the guy was very unhelpful.

I emailed Colony to ask today about 2019 vs 2020 differences saying I heard they were upgrading the freecoaster, possibly other parts and increasing the price and was going to pull trigger on 2019 and maybe make upgrades but might hold out on 2020 depending on upgrades and they replied:

Chaz,

The 2019 actually had the same upgrades as well.

Colony Clone FC rear hub.

So stocks available now will be the same.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 06:40:11 AM by Chaz »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 07:39:33 AM »

Oh, interesting. Get it!!
Maybe their plans have changed with Covid. I can't say for sure if I have the Clone FC, it's black and unmarked, but def has a FC of some kind!

I even had a promo mailing list code to knock $30 more off it. (strange though that currently CR has 20% off all the Colony bikes except for Apprentice).

That's great you had a good experience with Chain Reaction. I emailed or chatted with a rep about if they planned to get more in stock and possible ETA when it had been out of stock for a couple months and the guy was very unhelpful.

I emailed Colony to ask today about 2019 vs 2020 differences saying I heard they were upgrading the freecoaster, possibly other parts and increasing the price and was going to pull trigger on 2019 and maybe make upgrades but might hold out on 2020 depending on upgrades and they replied:

Chaz,

The 2019 actually had the same upgrades as well.

Colony Clone FC rear hub.

So stocks available now will be the same.

Thanks!

Offline Chaz

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 08:19:06 PM »

Maybe their plans have changed with Covid. I can't say for sure if I have the Clone FC, it's black and unmarked, but def has a FC of some kind!

I even had a promo mailing list code to knock $30 more off it. (strange though that currently CR has 20% off all the Colony bikes except for Apprentice).

Speak of the devil. Almost bought it last night but slept on it. This morning it's on clearance. Had a $20 mailing list coupon so pulled trigger at $350!

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 01:29:07 AM »

Speak of the devil. Almost bought it last night but slept on it. This morning it's on clearance. Had a $20 mailing list coupon so pulled trigger at $350!
$350 for a new flatland complete is really cheap!

Offline deacon

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 10:31:33 PM »
Just placed my order for the apprentice. Should be here in 4 days!!!  B)

Offline Sensei

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 12:43:52 AM »
@chaz
WHAT! Dang, I wish I saved $100 on mine, but I wasn't sure how long they'd be in stock.

Crazy good deal!

Offline deacon

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 08:09:20 AM »
UK here. I got really excited as there is a promotion currently offering an additional 30% off sale items, but this bike doesn't count as a sale item. Don't know why.
Not to worry, its a great deal anyway, and I should be rolling Monday or Tuesday 😁