Author Topic: Handlebar Width  (Read 2891 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Handlebar Width
« on: August 02, 2020, 12:55:15 AM »
Curious to see what everyone's preference for handlebar width is. I just got some new bars and they measure 27.5 inches wide. My last pair were 25 inches, so these feel a bit wide. I'm considering cutting like an inch off of each side, just haven't decided yet.

New bars are the We Bicycles Gov handlebar with 9 inch rise, 3 degree up/back sweep. I'm still playing around with their adjustment, like adding/subtracting stem spacers, which stem I'm using, how forward/back they are, etc. I'm liking the feel of the bars, just seeing what works best. And trying to decide whether to cut them or not.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Re: Handlebar Width
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 02:04:39 AM »
Curious to see what everyone's preference for handlebar width is. I just got some new bars and they measure 27.5 inches wide. My last pair were 25 inches, so these feel a bit wide. I'm considering cutting like an inch off of each side, just haven't decided yet.

New bars are the We Bicycles Gov handlebar with 9 inch rise, 3 degree up/back sweep. I'm still playing around with their adjustment, like adding/subtracting stem spacers, which stem I'm using, how forward/back they are, etc. I'm liking the feel of the bars, just seeing what works best. And trying to decide whether to cut them or not.

I cut just about all my bars. I'm finding I like 24-25 inch width. By the way, i recently bought the   gov bars from the WB website. 9 inch rise, and even though advertised as 26.5 wide I measured them at 29 inches! Now that I've cut them feel better.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 03:39:12 AM »
I got mine from flatlandfuel, I didn't even realize you could buy it from their website. I just checked it out, they've got some nice stuff for sale.

I'll probably cut them, might do it a little at a time until I get it to where I want to be. I might start with like 1/2 or 3/4 inch of each side. Probably around 25 is where I want it to be, I just need to make sure I leave them wide enough that I can still have my brake levers on the straight part.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:40:51 AM by aliasdck »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 03:58:00 AM »
What's the preferred way of cutting bars? Hacksaw then clean up with a file if needed? Or like a tube cutter or something else? I'll probably just do it with a hacksaw, I think that's how I've done it in the past - Just sometimes when cutting stuff with a hacksaw the cut doesn't always turn out straight.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 04:06:30 AM »
I’d leave them at the stock width. I think you’ll find them more comfortable if they are wider bc they can Better support your arms / shoulders. I have the s&m intrikat 9” bars which measure about 27 wide and I would never go smaller than that because of all the stress that nose manuals put on the upper body
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 04:15:21 AM »
I’d leave them at the stock width. I think you’ll find them more comfortable if they are wider bc they can Better support your arms / shoulders. I have the s&m intrikat 9” bars which measure about 27 wide and I would never go smaller than that because of all the stress that nose manuals put on the upper body

That's something I'm considering - not cutting them. They only feel wide because I'm not used to it yet but already some tricks and positions DO feel better/more stable. I'm still not sure, but I think what I'm going to do is ride them for a couple of weeks and then decide.

Another bonus to not cutting them is that they are more valuable that way if I ever decide to resell or trade them.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:04:11 AM »
I got mine from flatlandfuel, I didn't even realize you could buy it from their website. I just checked it out, they've got some nice stuff for sale.

I'll probably cut them, might do it a little at a time until I get it to where I want to be. I might start with like 1/2 or 3/4 inch of each side. Probably around 25 is where I want it to be, I just need to make sure I leave them wide enough that I can still have my brake levers on the straight part.
I use 130mm grips as and still fit the levers fine ...

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 08:05:01 AM »
What's the preferred way of cutting bars? Hacksaw then clean up with a file if needed? Or like a tube cutter or something else? I'll probably just do it with a hacksaw, I think that's how I've done it in the past - Just sometimes when cutting stuff with a hacksaw the cut doesn't always turn out straight.
I use pipecutter from amazon.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 01:16:24 PM »
That's an interesting discussion.I had my bars around 70 cm (about 27.5" for those who still don't use SI units haha!) unil around 2000 when I bought a used Graveyard bar that was cut to 63 cm (24.8"). It felt very strange and I feld like I would not get used to it. So I used "extension" bar ends to make it wider. Some years later many riders asked me why I ride such a wide bar (the trend was narrow 6.5" high bars at this time) and I gave it a try with normal barends. Then I got used to it and later even 65 cm on one of my spare bikes did not feel right anymore. Now I have pretty much all my bars at 63 cm width and I think I made a decision and will not think about it again. Even the 8.5" height feels good with that width for me.
I suggest to wait a few more week. If it still feels "too big" cut it a little bit (not more than 1 cm (0.4") per side). You can cut more later...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 06:57:10 PM »
This is good advice everyone, I'm definitely going to ride them for a couple weeks before deciding. I don't like making permanent adjustments, like cutting, if I don't have to.

My session today was a pretty good one, today  being my third day riding since switching to the new bars. So I'm already adjusting to them nicely but I did have some trouble with a couple tricks due to the extra width. Like going from a forward switch handed steam roller - turbine - tomahawk. I had a hard time getting my leg around the bars during the transition into tomahawk. I think with some more practice I can get used to them. Certain tricks - like hang nothings - feel extra stable and more comfortable with the extra width. Even back wheel tricks like peg wheelies in a circle feel nice too.

I'm starting to think the biggest problem though might be the height, not the width. This setup is about 1/4 -1/2 inch taller then my previous handlebar/stem setup. It feels a little too high for certain tricks, same thing though: I will give it a couple weeks before I decide to cut down the steerer tube, I'd really rather not if I don't have to. I've already taken out as many spacers as possible, if I want it shorter I need to cut the steerer tube, find a stem with less rise or go with shorter bars. We'll see.

Still curious to hear other people's handlebar width preference if anybody else feels like sharing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:00:17 PM by aliasdck »

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 11:01:52 PM »
This is good advice everyone, I'm definitely going to ride them for a couple weeks before deciding. I don't like making permanent adjustments, like cutting, if I don't have to.

My session today was a pretty good one, today  being my third day riding since switching to the new bars. So I'm already adjusting to them nicely but I did have some trouble with a couple tricks due to the extra width. Like going from a forward switch handed steam roller - turbine - tomahawk. I had a hard time getting my leg around the bars during the transition into tomahawk. I think with some more practice I can get used to them. Certain tricks - like hang nothings - feel extra stable and more comfortable with the extra width. Even back wheel tricks like peg wheelies in a circle feel nice too.

I'm starting to think the biggest problem though might be the height, not the width. This setup is about 1/4 -1/2 inch taller then my previous handlebar/stem setup. It feels a little too high for certain tricks, same thing though: I will give it a couple weeks before I decide to cut down the steerer tube, I'd really rather not if I don't have to. I've already taken out as many spacers as possible, if I want it shorter I need to cut the steerer tube, find a stem with less rise or go with shorter bars. We'll see.

Still curious to hear other people's handlebar width preference if anybody else feels like sharing.
I'm going in the opposite direction with bar height. Thinking about some ten inch rise bars and or topload stem. I'm 6'3 though...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 12:20:03 AM »
I'm about 6' 2" or I used to be, I have bad posture and seem to have shrunk a bit. I think I just need to get used to it, I've been feeling like I need taller bars for awhile, I'm just not good with the sudden change and with time I'll adjust.