Author Topic: What happened in the last 10 years?  (Read 4829 times)

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
What happened in the last 10 years?
« on: July 31, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »
I was riding since the 80s and took a break from 2010 to ride a other form of BMX. I always had a flatland bike to keep some of my moves every year once or twice. Now I find myself riding almost every week again and i found out that there are so less riders left from b.i.t.d. and also there are so less and boring looking products on the market. Frames are mostly looking the same as a street bike and the big names are not available like Ares, KHE, St Martin and my favorite Kgb. That makes me sad. In the early 2000 it was  still so awesome. Now it looks like total underground. Are there any shops besides of flatland fuel to get flatland stuff?

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Re: What happened in the last 10 years?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 06:22:19 PM »
I was riding since the 80s and took a break from 2010 to ride a other form of BMX. I always had a flatland bike to keep some of my moves every year once or twice. Now I find myself riding almost every week again and i found out that there are so less riders left from b.i.t.d. and also there are so less and boring looking products on the market. Frames are mostly looking the same as a street bike and the big names are not available like Ares, KHE, St Martin and my favorite Kgb. That makes me sad. In the early 2000 it was  still so awesome. Now it looks like total underground. Are there any shops besides of flatland fuel to get flatland stuff?
Flatsociety, fourpegsbmx, and kunstform also have flatland products but FF is the only all flatland site.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 06:43:55 PM »
Just kind of ebbs and flows over the years doesn't it, trends/popularity/etc come and go. Flatland kinda peaks its head out from the underground from time to time but mostly just stays there. I bet we will see a resurgence of flatland looking frames at some point again then you will have your pick of bendy tubes and pretzel shapes again. Hopefully some more flatland oriented companies/parts come out too.

I think there are a lot of us bitd type riders still out there flatlanding it up, maybe just doesn't seem like it at first glance. Im betting there are a lot of us older dudes who don't bother showcasing ourselves on social media and many of us don't go out to jams/contests so as far as the rest of the world is concerned we don't exist. For example, I've never bothered to get an Instagram account though I'm considering it cause it seems like a decent number of flatlanders use it nowadays? I dunno, I don't keep up with stuff like twitter/instagram/Facebook/etc. My Global-flat account is my only flatland related presence online.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 06:45:32 PM by aliasdck »

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 11:43:50 PM »
Just kind of ebbs and flows over the years doesn't it, trends/popularity/etc come and go. Flatland kinda peaks its head out from the underground from time to time but mostly just stays there. I bet we will see a resurgence of flatland looking frames at some point again then you will have your pick of bendy tubes and pretzel shapes again. Hopefully some more flatland oriented companies/parts come out too.

I think there are a lot of us bitd type riders still out there flatlanding it up, maybe just doesn't seem like it at first glance. Im betting there are a lot of us older dudes who don't bother showcasing ourselves on social media and many of us don't go out to jams/contests so as far as the rest of the world is concerned we don't exist. For example, I've never bothered to get an Instagram account though I'm considering it cause it seems like a decent number of flatlanders use it nowadays? I dunno, I don't keep up with stuff like twitter/instagram/Facebook/etc. My Global-flat account is my only flatland related presence online.
Seems like outside Japan, most flatlanders are older. Here in the US, not many youngsters into flatland...

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 04:13:25 AM »

Ares and St. Martin are still involved in the flatland scene. KHE is more street now. KGB no longer exists. Current frames are more balanced toward a street/flat hybrid. Right now, there are very few flat-specific frames that you could recognize on looks alone. Give it time, though, and designs will change yet again.

Offline ati66

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
  • Owner of Fourpegsbmx Vienna
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 12:06:58 AM »
Thanks for the Fourpegsbmx mention ;)

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 02:19:29 PM »
Flatlandfuel, FlatSociety, and Fourpegsbmx are great and will hook you up with what you need.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline fltmutt43

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 07:49:07 PM »
A helluve lot changed in ten years and a lot of companies have disappeared
and i am riding 1.85 tires again and never thought I would and the Max tires
are both that size and also skin walls like some tires of the past...Marcel
Tremblay got me into them since the KHE, Motel Works and others are no
longer available.

Platform pedals are now in and yes I ride the Precision Products V-3 pedals
and it is how flatland is.. really and so many companies are no longer around 
and the trends are now found in Japanese riders and companies.. mostly!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 12:21:04 AM by fltmutt43 »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
All great points except I think platform pedals were always in. Maybe I’m missing something
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline fltmutt43

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 12:27:32 AM »
Metal Head

What I mean is full on platform like the Precision Products V-3 pedals and others
and yeah platforms can mean Odyssey etc and others and those pedals that I am
talking about are going quicker out and being used.. i got some V-3 Pedals and this
after having the Odyssey platform pedals for a long time... what I am talking about
is full block platform pedals and Pete Brandt uses the Moto Pedals too and others use
the other full block platform pedals!

I think many riders are finding that doing on the pedals tricks and others are easier on
pedals like the Moto or the V-3 Precision Pedals! This is a huge change i think in flat riding
and along other things!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 12:31:18 AM by fltmutt43 »

Offline mtbmonkey

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 06:15:06 PM »
Leave it to flatland to progress the idea of a pedal.  I really want a pair of those MOTO Pedals.