Author Topic: About brakes, detanglers and brake mounts...  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Radnad

About brakes, detanglers and brake mounts...
« on: July 25, 2020, 10:32:08 PM »
Hi there, I'm about to buy a second hand complete flat bike and I'll need to put brakes on it since I'm an old school rider getting back into it and don't want to die just yet.

I'd like good quality gear on my bike but definitely don't need the best of the best stuff.

The frame is a Fishbone with Autumn forks. Both are ready for brake mounts but the seller rode brakeless so he doesn't have them.

Q1. Are brake mounts standard? I don't have the bike yet, but would you know which ones I should get / if there are specific ones that I need?

I'm looking at getting a full braking set (front, back, levers, ...), including gyro / detangler.

Q2. Regarding the detangler, I see full kits for varying prices. Are there really a huge differences between them? Which one would you recommend? Would you take a kit OR separate pieces, OR a kit for the parts + a specific detangler because you like that one better? What gear would you recommend?

Q3. Which brakes  would you recommend I get, and are there kits that make a good deal?

Back in the old days, you'd just go for the Gyro set - there was only one - and Dia-Compe, things were much simpler ;)

Thanks a lot for your help!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:50:43 PM by Radnad »

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
Re: About brakes, detanglers and brake mounts...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 05:18:53 AM »
There are different types of mounts. I would email fishbone and autumn, they may even have mounts you could buy. As for brakes, you can’t go wrong with odyssey.

Offline Radnad

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »
Thanks bmxelement90, I've just done it.

Offline Radnad

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 09:06:55 PM »
Hi all, just as a follow up and you never know, this might be useful to someone: I was able to get the brake mounts I need for my new bike.

- The Autum forks needs M10 mounts
- The Fishbone Rebel needs M8 mounts.

Thank you all for your help! And special thanks Patrick Schoolen from Flatland Fuel, the Autum crew and Parano Garage BMX shop.

Offline bmxgoat95

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 04:26:07 PM »
I will always recommend Magura, it's a german brand and it's quite reliable. They have ones specially for city riding. I hope you find this info helpful  :) .

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 11:38:15 AM »
Hi bmxgoat95, I guess you are not so serious with that hint, right? I mean a hydraulic brake with a gyro? I know there was a solution in the mid 90s, but I doubt that you could find this. In additon Magura brakes are meant to be installed on cantilever mounts and BMX bikes have u-brake mounts...

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 11:42:28 AM »
Hi Radnad, I will be more expensive, but I would buy single parts. As bmxelement90 said Odyssey brakes will do it but there are plenty of others. The CNC made brakes are more expensive but if you are not so special about the colour you will find an offer. For the detangler there are a lot made out of aluminium with smooth ends and these are nicer than the original Gyros. But most of these do not allow to use knarps on the detangler and so you need to buy specific Gryo cables which I alway hated.

Offline alexandraadams

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 08:40:03 AM »
For Brakes and all other things, I would highly recommend you to go for Schwinn components. I have cycled more than 2000 KMs on bike and never got an issue with Schwinn and Shimano Components.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:27:43 AM by khe killah »