Author Topic: Old Man Scratching His Head  (Read 2886 times)

Offline BlutoBlumpkin

Old Man Scratching His Head
« on: April 18, 2020, 04:31:27 AM »
Hi. So I’m old. Like, I’m your Dad old... 😩. Haven’t rode flat since 1996. My kid is finally started riding so I was searching for something with close to an old school geometry. I settled on a 2020 Haro Downtown. Pretty happy, it’s a comfortable bike. One question as it’s my first bike with the 9 tooth rear. I’m used to the old school free wheel. Back then if my chain was too tight the cranks would back track when rolling backwards but otherwise they would stay level. Do these nine tooth free wheels operate the same? Or are they made to back track and follow? My chain isn’t too tight. (Maybe the hub bolts are too tight?) but that’s my question? Backtrack or not to backtrack? Help an old man out. Thanks. 💪🏼

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Old Man Scratching His Head
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 06:43:29 PM »
OK, what you probably mean is that you had a FREECOASTER hub, not a freewheel.
They operate the same way, regardless of the number of teeth.
The freecoaster will let you roll backwards without the cranks moving.

Offline BlutoBlumpkin

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 02:14:44 PM »
I understand freecoaster to be a switchable hub that is both a coaster brake and freewheel depending how its set. I’ve never had one of those. Always straight freewheel. This current setup, rolling forward the pedals stay in place and I can back pedal with no brake but rolling backwards the cranks will follow.  I don’t have any problems working on the bike, I just don’t want to waste my time messing with it if it’s made to flow backwards.

Hope I’m making sense.

Offline jerky

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »

Looking at the specs of the Downtown it looks like it is equipped with a cassette hub. This is a rundown of the hub variations that exist broken down into whether they backpedal (or as you called it backtrack) or not (or as you described it stay level) Hopefully it helps and isn't confusing.

Backpedalling hubs

Freewheel - this style is old school. The ratcheting mechanism threads on to the hub and is separate from the hub. Since it contains all the mechanical bits it is limited in how low you can can go with the tooth size, generally about 14T. When going forward the pedals will pedal backwards (but no effect on your speed) but when rolling backwards the pedals will forcefully rotate in reverse. For a visual https://bmxmuseum.com/reference/3960

Cassette hub - I think this started to become popular in the BMX world in the mid-90s. It is effectively the same as the freewheel but the ratcheting mechanism has been integrated into the hub. Moving all the freewheel guts into the hub has allowed the rear tooth size to shrink down as low 8T. Same behavior as a freewheel, when going forward the pedals can travel in reverse (but no effect on your speed) but when rolling backwards the pedals will forcefully rotate in reverse. For a visual https://bmxmuseum.com/reference/4617

Non-backpedalling Hubs

Coaster Brake - These are old school. SunTour and Bendix were popular brands, especially with the flatland crowd. The hubs were generally heavy and used loose ball bearings. These differed from freewheel style hubs in two distinct ways. First, unlike a freewheel, backpedalling while moving forward will engage brake shoes to slow you down. Second, when rolling backwards the pedals will stay in place (or level as you put it) The first "freecoaster" was essentially coaster brake with it's brake shoes removed For visual (Bendix) https://bmxmuseum.com/reference/3192

Freecoaster - Like the cassette hub is to the freewheel this is an evolution of the coaster brake hub. They use modern features like sealed bearings and lightweight aluminum hub shells. When rolling forward you can pedal backwards (with no effect on your speed) but when rolling backwards the pedals stay in place. Without getting heavy into details, there are primarily two styles of free coasters, one clutch based (similar to the old coaster brake hubs) and cassette based (similar to cassette hub but has an additional mechanize to disengage the ratcheting mechanism when you pedal backwards)
https://www.profileracing.com/product/zcoaster%C2%81-hub/
https://www.khebikes.com/en/bmx-parts/hubs/freecoaster-hub/718/khe-greyhound-street-freecoaster-x9

ACS Freecoaster - The switchable concept you might be thinking of might date way back as in the ACS freecoaster which had a special driver and freewheel that could be locked or unlocked into operating as a coaster brake. See
https://bmxmuseum.com/reference/1777

Offline BlutoBlumpkin

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 05:48:24 PM »
Thank you. That’s clear and I clearly didn’t know diddly squat about rear hubs. What I recall as a Freecoaster is an ACS freecoaster. I only ever thought there was Freewheel, coaster and free coaster. 😂😩 I’ll go out my Dad sweater back on now. Thanks for the info.

Offline jerky

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 07:14:36 PM »
No worries. You shouldn't feel alone though, there are plenty of us old dudes floating around. While doing research to buy a new bike, I had a heck of a time getting familiar with about all the different technology changes and companies that came and went while I was away from riding for 20-ish years. It was a bit overwhelming. Glad it was insightful.

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 08:44:07 AM »

I still use a Nankai freecoaster hub in the back with a 9 in the back and no longer
use the typical things I use to do back in the 1980's,1990's and even 2000's in
chain tensioners etc.The one thing with my Motel Works frame and fork..I still
use the RYAL Goods Dylan Bars and Brickhouse Products and KHE 32SPK
wheels,Ryal 24T spocket and KHE tires..though once I go through them,then
going to Motel Works Tyres.

I would suggest to use one of the cassette hubs as mentioned and they work well
and there are several out there that works well.I am probably older than you at
59 years old and I am still riding,though semi retired from going to comps and
such things,but I did show up at the One Love Jam this year!

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 02:53:25 PM »
Thank you. That’s clear and I clearly didn’t know diddly squat about rear hubs. What I recall as a Freecoaster is an ACS freecoaster. I only ever thought there was Freewheel, coaster and free coaster. 😂😩 I’ll go out my Dad sweater back on now. Thanks for the info.

Dude, this is so funny. When I first started reading about riders using "freecoasters" again, I was like, "Why the hell would anyone want to ride one of those?" ...It's weird that they even called these modern "freecoasters" that name considering it was already a product before.

Now I ride a freecoasters on all my rigs...and they don't have a little knob on them to turn them into a coaster brake. Hah. I bet there are a lot of BMXers out there now that would have a look of utter confusion on their face if you showed them an ACS freecoaster.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 02:58:42 PM by Voodoo »
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.