Author Topic: Changing riding surfaces  (Read 1989 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Changing riding surfaces
« on: July 13, 2020, 04:34:00 AM »
Ive been riding in the street in front if my house almost exclusively for the last few years. So I'm riding on the same rough asphalt almost 95% of the time. I just started riding at a new spot that has smooth concrete and I'm finding it difficult to readjust. A lot of my tricks and my balance especially in tight circles and turbines just feels off.

Obviously I will adjust if I stick with it and keep practicing but I'm wondering if there are any tips? Like do you guys lower tire pressure on smoother surfaces? Change to different tires? I've been making sure to sweep the concrete before riding, and that by itself is helping as the fine dust on it makes it way too slippery.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:36:20 AM by aliasdck »

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
Re: Changing riding surfaces
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:58:29 PM »
Personally, I'd reduce your tire pressure. Lower pressure allows you to spin slower, and it gives you time to adjust to the new surface. Once you're more comfortable, add tire pressure back until you are 100% adjusted.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 03:13:31 PM »
Thanks 89schwinnsting, that's what I was thinking. I've been playing with tire pressure like you proposed. Today will be my fifth day riding at this spot, I noticed yesterday that I was starting to feel more comfortable. Might try a couple different tires as well over the next few months.

It's nice riding on a smooth flat surface for once. My street is like any street where the center is higher then the sides. I got used to it but I was always concentrating on adjusting for the changing slope during tricks. Now on the flat concrete I feel like I concentrate more on perfecting the trick instead of mostly just struggling to keep the trick going.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:15:10 PM by aliasdck »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 02:49:18 PM »
I didn't forget silly, that's why I said I was going to try experimenting with different tires (different sizes, compounds, etc) over the next couple months. Good advice though thank you.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 04:25:03 AM »
That's awesome, seems like you guys have lots of nice places to choose from 👍