Author Topic: 20.5tt any one?  (Read 7790 times)

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
Re: 20.5tt any one?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 11:41:29 PM »
Those would be excellent dimensions for me sakis, I would be happy with that setup as a flatland bike but I tend to prefer longer setups then most flatlanders do these days. I tend to feel to cramped on modern flatland bikes but I think most flatlanders would find my bike uncomfortably long.

That Sunday nightshift frame looks nice in my opinion. What color are you getting?

I would only have three minor complaints for this frame, nothing too bad:

(1) it's a bit heavy at 5lbs. Of course not everyone cares that much about weight. You may even want the extra beefyness if you plan to also ride street on it. It seems this frame was designed to be decently strong, it even has quite thick dropouts at 8mm(!) but they are hollow apparently to help save some weight.

(2) it has a fairly tall standover height (9 inches) compared to most modern flatland bikes.

(3) The bottom bracket height is pretty low at 11.625", this will make it feel nice and stable when pedaling around. My current bike has a very similar BB height and I also use 165mm cranks, the problem is that when one of the pedals is all the way in the down position the corner of the pedal can actually hit the floor if I lean and turn into that direction hard enough. It doesn't happen very often, and it barely touches as i really have to be turning sharp while also leaning into it. So in my experience, it's better to have a BB height of 11.8 or higher when using 165mm cranks. Another fix may also be to just use smaller pedals if there are ones out there that have a shorter width , I don't know I haven't looked into it yet.
Hello,i am getting a black matte as this was available only.
There is a street sweeper with 11.7 bb and 8.8 stand over and 12.75-13.00” chainstays but this is not heat treated and i thought to try a bit longer if i want to ride ramps someday.
I think a bsd alxvf frame would be your best bet. Or we the people frames with higher bb. I also prefer higher bb around 12” for pedal tricks. You can find slim pedals with big platform. Or 160 mm cranks but i prefet 165,easier for the knees

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 11:42:45 PM »
Ohhh i forgot!! The park ranger has a low bb! Check it out! It will fit you perfectly!

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 03:39:05 AM »
Yes I've been looking around at all different sorts of frames from lots of different companies trying to find one with exactly what I'm looking for. I think I'm gonna wait though, I've settled into my current frame really well so I think I should just stick with it for awhile longer. Progress has been good lately, don't want to rock the boat.

I like the black matte color, all of my frames over the last ~15 years have been black.

I'd be interested to hear how things go with that Sunday frame once you get it.

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 02:16:24 PM »
I've had a couple of 20.3" BSD ALVX frames. The one below is my current setup, it's the AF version with the investment cast chainstay bridge.

Considering swapping it out for a 20.5" Heresy Ascend soon though.

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 03:46:49 PM »
I'd like heresy  to have more incremental adjustable rear-end CS measurements.
 Im having to add extra chain link into my AcenDX, even when slammed, compared to my alvx!
Flat-ism

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 04:31:35 PM »
Yes,because the X is 19.5 and will spin very fast in comparison to the longer tt frame.
I was thinking about this also.

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 04:37:48 PM »
I'd like heresy to have more incremental adjustable rear-end CS measurements.
 Im having to add extra chain link into my AcenDX, even when slammed, compared to my alvx!

The 20" and 20.5" frames have longer chainstays (13-13.6") so I'm hoping 25/9 will sit nicely in the middle.

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 04:57:12 PM »
Yo pete,
Maybe try the 20” version.. I put a half link at my x and from 12.9 it went at 13.18 or something and i felt it like a boat.. it was super slow and Imagine ten years ago i was refusing to ride anything shorter than 13.5”!!
I think for me 13” is my favourite for rolling and spinning tricks and this is the maximum i ll ever go from now!
If you do street though maybe a bit longer will do but its harder on the lower back and thats why i removed my half link in a day.

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 07:09:42 PM »
Hi Sakis,

I have been trying to decide between 19.5" , 20" and 20.5" for a while now. To be honest, the 19.5" probably best suits my riding style.
However I have been having fun on 20" (Benny L) and 20.3" (ALVX) frames for the last few years.

I probably did my best riding 10 years ago on an 18.25" frame anyway.....  :P

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 08:34:25 PM »
19.5 Heresy ascend X is a good 12.7-13” chainstays and thats similar to the alvx. The heresys 20.5 and 13” will be long both front and back. same length For the 20. You will feel it longer. If you run full offset forks maybe the 19.5” is better. Ride on!

Offline Leone4130

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 08:44:42 PM »
Total Hangover, offered in 20.4 and 20.6 I believe, I ride 20.4 if I'm not mistaken and it's beautiful.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oKG_2BB63YjJtT_0JhN-C0FNgOyOjkNo?usp=sharing

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 08:54:08 AM »
Hi Sakis,

I have been trying to decide between 19.5" , 20" and 20.5" for a while now. To be honest, the 19.5" probably best suits my riding style.
However I have been having fun on 20" (Benny L) and 20.3" (ALVX) frames for the last few years.

I probably did my best riding 10 years ago on an 18.25" frame anyway.....  :P
Aye up Pete, the looks of it we've both been on a similar frame journey. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:57:23 AM by Flatism® »
Flat-ism

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2020, 10:57:39 AM »

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »
I've been waiting for a good 20.5" TT frame to come around. My current frame is 20.8" and feels almost perfect but for certain tricks is just a tad bit too long for me, I've been able to adjust but of course I'd prefer to find the perfect setup.

Frame before this one was 20" and that felt ok too but a bit cramped at times. So I'm thinking something around 20.4-20.6 would be ideal for me.

The problem with most greater than 20" TT frames I've seen currently on the flatland market is either geometry and/or lack of back brakes. The BSD Alvx looks nice but has no brake mounts and too steep of a head tube for my liking (I prefer 75 over 75.5, may even want to try 74.5 for a change). Haro Dandois is a nice frame but head angle is again too steep for me and I'm not a fan of the color. Heresy Ascend D in 20.5" would be a consideration for me but looking at flatlandfuel they don't have any 20.5" with brake mounts, plus a closer look at the heresy website indicates the longer versions (20 and 20.5) have 75.5 head angles despite that the description on FF saying 75 (I think only the shorter versions have 75 HA).

So I'm patiently waiting for somebody to release my ideal frame. I could easily find another street frame that matches what I am looking for but I'd prefer a frame specifically designed for flatland, ie a bit lighter, tapered chain/seat stays, etc. I've thought about going custom but I'm not in a rush, my current frame is working nicely and I've noticed that constantly changing frames is doing more harm then good when it comes to progression so I might as well just wait.

I currently have a 20.5 S&M Dagger & love it. It has a 75.3 Head Angle. I'm an S&M Dealer & they are currently out of stock, but there will be a new batch released soon.