Author Topic: 3/8 frame dropouts?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
3/8 frame dropouts?
« on: June 11, 2020, 09:27:52 PM »
So I'm thinking of getting the Far East Turbo frame . Does the dropout size affect what type of wheel and hub you can get? I'm getting back into flatland after more than 30 years off so all this is new to me..

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: 3/8 frame dropouts?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 11:33:39 PM »
Hello Mambocowboy, it is great that you are back! Nice to hear that!
About the dropout: 30 year ago all axles were 3/8" in diameter so all the dropouts were made for this axle size. In the late 90s 14 mm axle came up. Later they typically were considered to be too heavy and female axles (14 mm or more in the middle between the dropouts and a 3/8" bolt going into the axle instead of a axle nut) became the standard for front hubs. So almost every fork has 3/8" dropouts today. Flatland riders used 3/8" axles for the freecoaster (backwheel-) hubs for a while but 14 mm was the standard for backwheels. When more and more street riders began to use freecoaster hubs, most of these came out with 14 mm with changed the freecoaster market and so almost all of them are 14 mm today. So a 3/8" dropout frame will limit the choice of your backwheel hub indeed. But there are still some on the market and if you are not too rough on your bike and you ride flatland only it will be ok.
Some dropouts can be milled to 14 mm, but this shold be done professionally and it depends on the dropout if it is possible.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 08:22:45 AM »
Hello Mambocowboy, it is great that you are back! Nice to hear that!
About the dropout: 30 year ago all axles were 3/8" in diameter so all the dropouts were made for this axle size. In the late 90s 14 mm axle came up. Later they typically were considered to be too heavy and female axles (14 mm or more in the middle between the dropouts and a 3/8" bolt going into the axle instead of a axle nut) became the standard for front hubs. So almost every fork has 3/8" dropouts today. Flatland riders used 3/8" axles for the freecoaster (backwheel-) hubs for a while but 14 mm was the standard for backwheels. When more and more street riders began to use freecoaster hubs, most of these came out with 14 mm with changed the freecoaster market and so almost all of them are 14 mm today. So a 3/8" dropout frame will limit the choice of your backwheel hub indeed. But there are still some on the market and if you are not too rough on your bike and you ride flatland only it will be ok.
Some dropouts can be milled to 14 mm, but this shold be done professionally and it depends on the dropout if it is possible.
Wow! Awesome explanation and thanks for the warm welcome!

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 01:22:29 PM »
Hi rideflat43, I think because of all the freecoasters that are also used by street riders at least the freecoaster market is 95 % 14 mm. Let's say like this? What hub can be bought with a 3/8 " axle at all? I could not even name five.
And I see most frames have 14 mm dropouts as well, even the flatland frames. There are some with 3/8 " dropouts as the FEC, but not so many more.
I wouldn't say that you need it for flatland (although I like it much more for more than 20 years now) in every case, but the market has made a decision. Don't you think?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 11:47:38 AM »
Just to add, depending on your weight and riding style 14mm may be overkill.

You can still get freecoasters in 10mm

Far East or Far East TI,

NYB (available in Japan mostly)

Profile Z

KHE Greyhound (old stock still available in some shops)

ARES

Axle conversion kit of Odyssey
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 11:56:51 AM by out~riding »

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 07:08:59 PM »
Just to add, depending on your weight and riding style 14mm may be overkill.

You can still get freecoasters in 10mm

Far East or Far East TI,

NYB (available in Japan mostly)

Profile Z

KHE Greyhound (old stock still available in some shops)

ARES

Axle conversion kit of Odyssey

I'm 200 pounds. Does that mean more need for 14mm?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 12:24:39 AM »
I weigh about 87 kg which is similar I think. Many of my 3/8" front axles broke but of course it depends on the tricks (for me it was decades and catapults and so on which led to cracked axles). Rear axles lasted longer but I was just annoyed of broken axles so I switched to 14 mm also in the back about 20 years ago. Today you can choose a light freecoaster with 14 mm axle so I do not see a reason for 3/8". But of course this is personal preference... If you are not really hard on your bike and your dropouts are well parallel (so know bending forces on your axle when it is installed) and your pegs have a good contact area to the dropout, I can imagine that 3/8" will last you a while. I personally just don't like the fact that you choice of hubs is so limited if you have 3/8" dropout. I mean check any webshop and see how many 14 mm freecoasters you can buy and how many 3/8" ones. I think out~riding mentioned all that are on the market and there are much more in 14 mm. And see this: If you have 14 mm dropout you can still use a 3/8" axle with adapters...

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 01:23:11 AM »
I weigh about 87 kg which is similar I think. Many of my 3/8" front axles broke but of course it depends on the tricks (for me it was decades and catapults and so on which led to cracked axles). Rear axles lasted longer but I was just annoyed of broken axles so I switched to 14 mm also in the back about 20 years ago. Today you can choose a light freecoaster with 14 mm axle so I do not see a reason for 3/8". But of course this is personal preference... If you are not really hard on your bike and your dropouts are well parallel (so know bending forces on your axle when it is installed) and your pegs have a good contact area to the dropout, I can imagine that 3/8" will last you a while. I personally just don't like the fact that you choice of hubs is so limited if you have 3/8" dropout. I mean check any webshop and see how many 14 mm freecoasters you can buy and how many 3/8" ones. I think out~riding mentioned all that are on the market and there are much more in 14 mm. And see this: If you have 14 mm dropout you can still use a 3/8" axle with adapters...
Thanks alot . It sounds like 3/8 dropouts are way too limiting