Author Topic: Can i use a hub without the lock nut?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
Can i use a hub without the lock nut?
« on: June 03, 2020, 02:25:56 PM »
Hi,will there be a problem if i use a sealed bearings hub without the lock nut on the non driver side?

This is the only way to balance the wheel in the center of the frame because at some point where the axle's threads end,the axle becomes thicker and the lock nut won't fit because of its smaller diameter.
 I have to remove something from the hub to make it able to move a few mm to one side and there is no other way without removing the lock nut.

Anyway,its complicated but trust me,there is no other way

So,it will be : bearing->bearing cover->washer->dropout->peg->nut
 instead of :   bearing->bearing cover->lock nut->dropout->peg->nut

Will the pressure from tightening the nut damage the bearing if there is no lock nut,or the bearing can stand the pressure?

I have tried this config before,just for a session,the wheel doesn't lock up or anything but i stopped using it because i wasn't sure about what would happen in the long run.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:33:42 PM by mal »

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Can i use a hub without the lock nut?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 10:15:14 PM »
Any chance of a picture to make it clearer as im struggling to fully understand your issue?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 10:16:42 PM »
post some photos

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 09:33:55 AM »
Hi guys!The only info i need is if someone has run a hub without a lock nut and how did that go.

Photos won't show anything,just a normal hub.I just need some opinions about how strong the bearing's inner ring is.
I think that maybe its ok to run it without a lock nut on the non driver side,because the bearing cover/washer makes contact only with the inner ring of the bearing and nothing else.

I am just not sure how strong the inner ring of the bearing is.

Assuming that it works in the same way the bottom bracket system works (the bearing has the main inner spacer on its back and the outer spacer on the front,and they are compressed at the inner ring of the bearing only) it can surely take some pressure.

So i think its the same.The hub bearing will have the hub on its back and the bearing cover/washer on the front,pressing only the inner ring.

It would surely be an issue with unsealed bearings but i have sealed ones.
Thanks!

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 11:04:21 AM »
The lock nut is there for a reason, it stops excessive side load on the bearing...

Brearings are designed to be fixed on the centre ring

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 01:17:54 PM »
Hi mal, as far as I understand your approach would lead to have no threaded part between the bearing and the dropout (I assume the washer does not have a thread). Right?
In this case tightening the axle nut (in the peg) will cause sideload onto the bearing. In general this is not good and will destroy your bearing pretty fast!
But: Many front hubs (female) have "push on cones" today. Here you basically have the same situation: Tightening the female bolt will cause sideload pressure to the bearing. This works as long as the distance of the area where the left and right outer ring of the bearings sit in the hubshell fits exactly to the distance where the inner ring of the two bearings sits on the axle. In this case the bearing still runs smooth. But when the distance on the axle is slightly too small, the bearing (the inner ring) will have pressure from the push on cone and the bearing does not run well anymore and will wear quickly. This happened to me for example with a KHE female hub where the inner axle is made from aluminium and the area where the inner bearing ring presses against was damaged (from tightening the wheel). For your case I would say you might try it but you should be prepared to replace various bearings in your freecoaster frequently...I hope you can understand my description (not a native speaker...).

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 11:40:37 AM »
Thank you guys for the valuable info!
I went with the lock nut in the end,i centered the wheel without having to remove the lock nut.