Author Topic: Specialized P20 - good for flatland?  (Read 3834 times)

Offline Sensei

Specialized P20 - good for flatland?
« on: May 17, 2020, 08:40:41 PM »
Have a local Specialized P20 from 2011 for sale for pretty cheap ($100ish).  Would this be an OK bike to start with for flatland? I am a total noob at flatland, but always have loved it.  Would need to get a front bike and pegs installed, and ideally a gyro.  Again, beginner.
Brakeless sounds scary.  And I always liked gyros from the 90s growing up.

Thanks!

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Specialized P20 - good for flatland?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 03:24:37 PM »
That's not the ideal bike to start with. If you have no other choice than go ahead. 100 USD won't get you anything anyway.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 04:32:42 PM »
Sometimes you have to make do with what you got.
Buy it and try it, if you enjoy riding then start to save for a more suitable bike or upgrade parts to make things easier.

I recently brought a friend a Specialized Fatboy for riding flat. It looks like a flatland BMX but jesus its heavy. But thats what he wanted...

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 10:31:05 PM »
Not everyone has that kind of money to spend, you have to remember that...

I started on a crappy BMX, it got me rolling at least...

Offline Sensei

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 12:34:09 AM »
How dangerous can it be and why would another type of bike be more appropriate for flatland than like the P20? 

I mean, I'm not dropping 30 feet off a cliff with it, and I'm a total beginner, so I'm not doing advanced flatland tricks.

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 01:13:11 AM »
Honestly, you can use any bmx bike for learning basic flatland tricks. Two brakes, a gyro, and pegs are the best for a beginner set-up. If you become good at it, THEN save up money and get something flatland-specific. No need to blow your money if you're going to quit riding in six months. Watch oldschool bmx videos. They didn't ride on flatland bikes - they rode on race bikes. Early flatland bikes were mostly race bikes with platforms welded on, anyway.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 09:43:50 PM »
You can learn tricks on any bike.

The problem is that the weight and incorrect geometry will make it 10x harder.
You will get frustrated because you can't pull the tricks you see others doing in videos and end up quiting...

It's been 40 years since Bob haro was doing endos on a Torker race frame, flatland design has evolved to a point where it's easier to ride and learn tricks.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 06:56:24 AM »
I hear that. I ride mountain and road bikes a lot, and geometry has come a long way there, in that it can make something totally rideable on one bike and makes you fear for you life if you use a different bike.

Where can I learn more about the geometry and set up of flatland bikes?  Or, if I may be so bold without searching much, what are good starter flatland bikes (I'm sure there are dedicated threads to this)

Or, what are good flatland brands/what do I look for in a bike?  When I search sites like Danscomp, Albes, etc., I don't see much mention of "Flatland" bike, just "Freestyle".
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:59:08 AM by Sensei »

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 04:49:12 PM »
I hear that. I ride mountain and road bikes a lot, and geometry has come a long way there, in that it can make something totally rideable on one bike and makes you fear for you life if you use a different bike.

Where can I learn more about the geometry and set up of flatland bikes?  Or, if I may be so bold without searching much, what are good starter flatland bikes (I'm sure there are dedicated threads to this)

Well you can learn here in the forum,  there are tons of topics about every detail. Just search the forum.

Or, what are good flatland brands/what do I look for in a bike?  When I search sites like Danscomp, Albes, etc., I don't see much mention of "Flatland" bike, just "Freestyle".

Not many shops carry flatland parts in the USA. The main source is Flatland Fuel.
Also buy DECO from Mr. Bikes n Boards,

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 04:54:19 PM »
The Eastern Enzo was a complete beginer bike from a few years ago, not available anymore but I did a quick google search and found one here:

http://bikes-store.com/product/eastern-bikes-enso-bmx-bike/  for $289.98.
You need to add a freecoaster... but for that price, it's not a bad choice.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 04:57:22 AM »
That Enzo looks perfect! But sadly from 2016 and a shady looking site... I'll keep looking :)

Offline hotnuts73

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 06:44:44 PM »
That specialized looks fine ,once you add a front brake, gyro and some pegs you will be good to go. The geometry is not bad with a 75 degree headtube angle with 31mm fork offset that is pretty good .it has 13.5 inch chainstays which some people think is a bit long but I think it's fine, I have size 14 feet I can't have my chainstay length any shorter than 13.5. You will have to a gyro installed be aware that the does not have gyro tabs so the headset fitted tabs will have to be installed. You will to get a caliper brake as the forks can not take 990s. If you factor in the parts you need it may be more economical to buy a second hand bike that is complete.