Author Topic: Grips that still grip with sweaty hands  (Read 7193 times)

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
Re: Grips that still grip with sweaty hands
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 10:49:37 PM »
I think that link was for the motorbike gripss, so the inner diameter of one grip is slightly larger to accommodate a throttle.

BMX/Mountainbike: https://www.renthal.com/cycle/handlebargrip-mountainbike-lock-on-grip-renthal-ultratackygrip-softgrip-mtbgrip/Renthal-grip-pushongrip-push-on-grips

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »
nice,thanks!

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 03:29:31 PM »
I think that link was for the motorbike gripss, so the inner diameter of one grip is slightly larger to accommodate a throttle.
Your right, the correct grips are the "push on" grips

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
  • You live for something or die for nothing....
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 01:40:31 AM »
Try the next alternative
I do like to use tennis over grip for racquets, the Tourna Mega Tac XL tape is really good for sweaty hands, use only one layer over any grip, if you ever experienced tennis elbow injury apply two layers, is super good for your hands and arms, it will give you comfort.
 You can get it at any tennis sports store or online, 10 xl roll is no more than $20 and last for 4 to 6 months.https://www.tourna.co.uk/product/tourna-tac-black-xl-10-grip-roll/Another one is the Dunlop Viper dry overgrip this tape is thicker so one layer is enough, this one last the same.

https://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Dunlop_Viper_Dry_Overgrip/descpageACDUNLOP-DVDO.html

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:19:09 AM by anthony »

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 10:33:00 PM »
Did you ever try it? I had my doubts before and for me is a must to have for a good session.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:59:19 AM by anthony »

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 06:23:41 AM »
Hi Mal here is what I use, the dunlop viper-dry over grip is one the best ones at the moment for me. (black one)
The tourna is good as well, both have a tac grip. (is the grey one)These over grips are cheap and you wont regret the small investment.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:53:57 AM by anthony »

Offline bmxgoat95

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2020, 03:50:21 PM »

Hello,
The last discussions have been a little longer than expected. Since I am currently looking for arm grips, I wanted to take this opportunity to ask if anyone can recommend arm grips that dampen especially well. I have pain in my wrist and therefore I can only use the BMX to a limited extent.

I would be happy about any advice!

Many thanks in advance!

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2020, 03:00:32 PM »
Hey guys i just wanted to let you know that i found a pair of grips that work well even on sweaty hands.

They are the Federal Command grips.

They are thick too and absorb the impact forces.

If anyone else has such problem check them out!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:04:20 PM by mal »

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »
Hey guys i just wanted to let you know that i found a pair of grips that work well even on sweaty hands.

They are the Federal Command grips.

They are thick too and absorb the impact forces.

If anyone else has such problem check them out!

These sound promising as I have some wrist issues. I may try them out.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2020, 04:21:35 PM »
SERIOUS update!

I was ok with the federal grips but on very sweaty sessions they did slip a bit,not as much as the Longnecks,i would say that they slipped 20% instead of 60% on the Longnecks (if you could measure such a thing!)

So i took Anthony's advice and bought some tennis overgrip tape. (Wilson Perforated overgrip).I applied it over the federal grips and went for a session today.

MAN.I never had such a grip experience in my life!I wish i knew about this 20 years ago!Slip percentage? zero %.

I didn't even felt sweat in my hands after a 2 hour session,the sweat was somehow absorbed by the overgrip but this didnt make the grip wet! This thing is magic!

I saved tricks that i would had never saved with any grip i have used in my life.Like grabbing only 1 inch of the grip's end and still hold the trick without bailing.The level of control that you have with this overgrip is unbelievable!

I will never ride again without this thing i think.

Thanks a lot Anthony!Guys if you've never used this thing..do it!
It is one of these things that make you ride better!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 04:36:39 PM by mal »

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2020, 07:16:38 PM »

Personally, I really dislike the new compounds. They wear super fast, they are slick..and like a lot of newer tires out there, the rubber feels more "plastic-ey"...

Maybe you should hunt down some NOS grips on the cheap. With an older compound and see what you think.

I have a certain grip from years ago that I'm constantly buying when I find them...
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 09:45:15 AM »
update:
After some time with the Wilson Perforated overgrip i gave the Heresy Evergrip grips tape a try.
Its the same concept,its just tennis tape.

I found the Heresy one ok,but slightly less durable than the Wilson overgrip.

The Heresy one won't let sweat make your grip slippy as well,but i found the Evergrip better at this too.The reason the Heresy one is a bit more slippery is because they chose to cover half the tape with their logo,the surface of the letters of the logo are of a different texture than the actual tape.This texture is more shinny aka more likely to be slippery.It was not needed.If you apply the tape from the end to the start you can avoid this because the second half of the tape doesn't have the logo imprinted.

Another issue with the Heresy ones is that they come with a plastic membrane out of the box,that you peel off before you install them.When i took mine off it was fused with the overgrip's fabric at one end and it teared the fabric off the overgrip tape for some inches and that made that tape area unusable.

I think they don't need to put that protective membrane there,as it turns out at some point during storage or transportation there was some heat involved that fused the protective membrane with the overgrip tape.

In conclusion,the Heresy one is good but i will buy the Wilson tape again next time.If i didn't have the Wilson option i would definitely use the Heresy one though,a thousand times better feel than any normal grip.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:35:54 PM by mal »

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2021, 05:33:57 PM »
update : After only 6 hours of use.This thing is almost done.They also slipped a bit when my hands got pretty sweaty.

Heresy should really reconsider their material decision.

Back to the Wilsons.I have used them for 2 months and they still hold.

IMG-20210109-182851" border="0
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:40:43 PM by mal »

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2021, 07:35:35 PM »
SERIOUS update!

I was ok with the federal grips but on very sweaty sessions they did slip a bit,not as much as the Longnecks,i would say that they slipped 20% instead of 60% on the Longnecks (if you could measure such a thing!)

So i took Anthony's advice and bought some tennis overgrip tape. (Wilson Perforated overgrip).I applied it over the federal grips and went for a session today.

MAN.I never had such a grip experience in my life!I wish i knew about this 20 years ago!Slip percentage? zero %.

I didn't even felt sweat in my hands after a 2 hour session,the sweat was somehow absorbed by the overgrip but this didnt make the grip wet! This thing is magic!

I saved tricks that i would had never saved with any grip i have used in my life.Like grabbing only 1 inch of the grip's end and still hold the trick without bailing.The level of control that you have with this overgrip is unbelievable!

Hey Mal, glad you give it a try to the tennis wraps, I use odi grips and two layers of the Dunlop, I love the feeling and none sweet issues plus better grip. I don't use the finishing tape, instead I tuck the tape between the grip and the bar ends and grip stops and that really holds the tape.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2021, 08:59:55 PM »
SERIOUS update!

Hey Mal, glad you give it a try to the tennis wraps, I use odi grips and two layers of the Dunlop, I love the feeling and none sweet issues plus better grip. I don't use the finishing tape, instead I tuck the tape between the grip and the bar ends and grip stops and that really holds the tape.
I am never going back to naked grips!Tennis tape was a revelation to me!

On first installation i tucked the tape between the grip and the bar ends too but it kept getting ripped because of the compression when the bar end hit the ground with force.I then just started the tape 1mm before the grip end and wrapped it up really good.It is fine since..!On the other side i use the finishing tape because i use grips with flanges
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 09:30:11 PM by mal »