Author Topic: Advice on buying a new bike! (Size?)  (Read 1833 times)

Offline AroundAll

Advice on buying a new bike! (Size?)
« on: April 15, 2020, 11:51:09 PM »
Hey everyone!

I'm a 5.4" 20 year old girl and I am wondering what size bike I'd should get. They once told me a 'shorter' bike would make it a bit easier on me, but otherwise I'd go with a regular 20".

I am planning to buy a Freestyle bike and add a front-brake and four pegs. (They don't sell complete flatland bikes here and the'd surpass my budget too probably). I found some good looking free-coaster Haro freestyle bmx-bikes that are about €400.

A few years I rode regularly on a bike with an oldschool flatland 1999 frame. Dope sh*t, but sadly it got stolen from the backyard. I didn't ride for a few years since my buddy quit riding, but I am ready to pick it up again.

All I need to know is if the 20" size would be right. They're all about 12 kilo's.
Hope someone can share some knowledge with me.

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
Re: Advice on buying a new bike! (Size?)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 02:59:20 AM »
Hey AroundAll!
If you're looking to get into flatland then I'm guessing most will tell you to get a short toptube bike (probably 19" and under). I'm 6' and ride 20" and have those days where I "is this too long?".

Colony has a complete flatland bike (called the "Apprentice") that isn't super expensive and has a pretty short top tube (something like 18.9"). Ares too makes a complete flatland bike (called the "AFX" I believe...). That has a bit of a longer top tube at 19.5".

hopefully that helps somewhat... There's so many options and opinions that it can be overwhelming to know where to start. My advice is to just get a bike and go from there! But, please, don't leave it in the backyard! :)!!

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 04:53:06 PM »
Hello. I'm 5'5", so I can tell you from experience that you don't need a long frame. Anything under 19" should work fine. You can always find a decent deal on a used flat bike or frame on FB marketplace, or you can just save your money and order a complete bike. If you're in the UK, there is actually a FB group for flatland riders there.

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 06:36:06 PM »
TT-length-wise, traditionally over the last 15years frames were under the 19". Things did change a bit lately with street-esque riding infused into pure flatland routines and that drove TT-lenght to as much as one and a half full inch but, fads and trends aside, I would stay that 19" is the sweet spot for taller riders +6' and 18.x for shorter riders is the best compromise between comfort and manoeuvrability but having said that, those sizes are actually the more common on the most recent frames released so you can't go wrong.

The used market may be a valid option but thread carefully because it can get very expensive very quickly to build a bike from parts instead of buying a beginner setup.
If you live in the USA the market is plentiful but otherwise you will have to wait for the good deals to pop up.

Weight-wise, if you care about that, some good options are bar-stem combos, A Bad Thing and KHE (SwissMiss) have them, In Europe you can get them below 60$ and that will save you, depending on the parts you had in mind, a good 1.1lbs (500gr). KHE makes a very light tire too, the MAC1, not cheap, but at less than 0.6lbs (300gr) you can easily shave off another 1.1lbs (500gr) if you get them on both wheels (some riders complaint they are not durable, I use a rear one with zero problems but I am a front-wheel rider). Those two things alone can save you as much as 2.2lbs (1kg) which is a lot on a BMX bike.

Anyway, weight is not important, you will always weight a lot more than your bike and leverage will always be there as soon as you start throwing your body weight around, the bike will always feel featherweight in comparison so I wouldn't worry and the riders who do (me included!) should go out and ride more instead of constantly keep worrying and spending money on lighter components...