Author Topic: Want to get back onto the pegs but not sure which model to buy?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline OneBikeMan

To anyone reading, I used to ride back in high school with two very close friends and haven't touched my bike since around the time one of them passed away. It's been about a decade now and I'm thinking it's time to hop back on and actually get farther than just the basics that I struggled with back then.

I used to/still have a Haro M6 that I would ride with but I'm thinking I'm better off getting a new rig anyway. Not sure if that'd even be close to any specialized flatland bikes to give anyone an idea of what I should go for? I really have no clue.

Should I just buy whatever since most of them are generally similar? Was thinking of buying a full bike on flatlandfuel? [size=78%]http://flatlandfuel.com/completebikes.aspx[/size]

Would one of the bikes there serve as a great 'beginner' bike? I'm sure that by the end of my first day of I'll be doing the old stuff I used to do.. Brakeless hang fives, steamrollers, mccircles, pretty sure I could occasionally do a whiplash or two.. Couldn't chain any of them together but at least I could do them by themselves. lol

Would appreciate anyone's advice! Gonna start putting a little money away each week so in a month or two I could place my order. Forgot how expensive they could be.

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
Re: Want to get back onto the pegs but not sure which model to buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 03:19:49 AM »
You could keep the M6, and just add lighter parts if you'd like, but that can easily add up to the cost of a new bike! I would just keep an eye out for used completes that are under 5 years old. Facebook Marketplace is a good place to look for deals on complete flat bikes. There is a Colony flat bike complete right now for $350. Best of luck in your search!

Offline OneBikeMan

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 04:26:36 AM »
Thanks. I was thinking of keeping the M6 for now to practice anyways, but the biggest issue is not having a.. I think it was a freewheel crank, right? So the pedals don't move for backwheel tricks/when scuffing the tire backwards. So I took the pedals off completely just so I could focus on the scuffing/balancing aspect of specific tricks. Just gotta put some air in the tires and she's probably good to know. lol

Never used/looked up the fb marketplace before. Should I just search "flatland bikes"?

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 07:07:33 AM »
You were referring to what is called a freecoaster. Allows your crank to stay in place while you go backwards. You can just type either "flatland" or "flatland bmx" on marketplace. I also use searchtempest.com to search for stuff sometimes.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 01:16:27 PM »
Thanks. I was thinking of keeping the M6 for now to practice anyways, but the biggest issue is not having a.. I think it was a freewheel crank, right? So the pedals don't move for backwheel tricks/when scuffing the tire backwards. So I took the pedals off completely just so I could focus on the scuffing/balancing aspect of specific tricks. Just gotta put some air in the tires and she's probably good to know. lol

The M6 is heavy compared to new bikes. You can pick up a freecoaster wheel, some lightweight tires and just that should improve that bike alot.
Also, the original fork also doesn't help, it's a street fork. If you buy a new one you will need a new front hub/wheel because all new forks use 10mm axles.