Author Topic: Flatlanders get no respect  (Read 5496 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Flatlanders get no respect
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 02:46:45 AM »
Nobody gets upset or tries to kick you out when you ride there? Around here sometimes the cops will kick me out especially if it's a nice court in a nice area

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 08:52:58 PM »
thanks for all the replies my fellow riders! It definitely helps me feel less 'alone' in this sport where people just dont seem to understand what it is we're doing and feel that they can treat us with little to no respect.

However, I don't see myself able to just plough into kids/people to be honest.... for a few reasons

1) I'm old and falling hard suuuuucks. ploughing into people will more than likely leave myself and them hurt. That isn't fun for anybody. That and I'm trying really hard to not be a d*ck that gets people to call the cops or something on me since I'm riding at a school (even if it is an abandoned school...).

2) I'm a Dad of two kids and the thought of running into a 4 year old on my bike isn't something that I see myself doing. What I simply do NOT understand is how their parent(s) and/or grandparent(s) will stand there and watch these young kids literally play under me without saying a single word. It's flat out insanity, thoughtless, and terrible parenting to me.

However, I do understand the lesson that they need to learn. I just don't really want to be the 'teacher' in this case :)...

3) If I'm being a d*ck on my bike that makes flatlanders look bad. I think we're already sort of looked down upon by the world and thrown into the 'they're all weed smoking troublemakers that I don't want my kids associating with'... While, yes, I do NOT want your fuggin kid(s) riding under me while I'm riding, I do want them to look at flatland as something awesome and potentially want to get into someday.

For what it's worth, I don't really think 'scooter kids' are the problem per se. I've had way more issues with 'skater kids' than I have those on scooters. I think it's more the fact that the kids at the skatepark(s) don't really know the rules of the skatepark because they're parents don't know the rules. but, yes, those newbie kids at the parks tend to be on scooters.... In my experience, the scooter kids will 'hey, sorry man' if they get in your way or something WAY more times than the kids on skateboards. The skater kids are all way more "f*ck off" in my experience.

Both of my sons are 'scooter kids' and follow the skatepark rules and are usually treated like sh*t because they're on scooters. It's pretty lame in my opinion. They're following the rules, so don't snake them and be a d*ck about it.... alas, this is a whole other topic so I'll stop it here...

I too dream of having a wherehouse that I can ride in year round!

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 02:49:53 PM »
I can't say I relate to that, the majority of people respect, not the flatlander I must say, but the "guy who is trying to hurt himself on top of a kids bike", they tend to wait and see that is going to happen, where my trajectory is going to go, or to just keep going while avoiding an imaginary circle around me.

Anyway, nowadays I just try to find the most empty, most remote, public sports court to do my thing.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 10:53:26 AM »
Timmer,they closed my only riding spot last weekend due to this corona virus thing and i have to ride in a park with lots of pass byers now.

I can totally feel you man,i constantly have to claim my space and look out for parents with kids deciding that the best spot to learn their kids to ride a bike is were i am currently riding.

This is no zen riding man,i can't focus on learning stuff when i also have to be a guard of my riding space .Neither when they stand and stare like they see flatland for the first time (actually they probably do).

This isnt working,i am counting the days for sh*t to get back to normal so i can ride alone again.

You have to find a new spot man,even if that means you have to ride further to get to.Get your zen back!

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2020, 09:39:10 PM »
I hear ya Mal. Ive tried hard to find a new spot over the years. I typically always ride in the middle of the day during my lunch break (I've worked from home for ~15 years now...). Before the current situation, it was much easier to find my zen. However, there is almost always a person or two that walk directly through where I ride. That's nothing new at all. But, now it's just compounded by the fact that everybody is home all the time. So, more people are out and about and in the way/not paying attention.

Kids are kids... I get that. they don't really know that what you're doing is dangerous to you and/or them. They just see you doing something that looks really cool and want to get closer to the action.... That I get. What I don't get is that their parent/grandparent/guardian/etc, who is an adult should know better. Yet, 95% of the time they don't say a single thing to their kid(s).... and/or will also walk directly through where you are to get where they want to go. They seemingly don't get 'oh, I guess I could walk around the guy on the bike to get to where I want to go'... nope... right through my line (and it's never really that much space)... time and time again. And since they've stood there watching their kid for 20 minutes, they should know where the f*ck I'm going to be when they decide to finally move.

Anyway, yeah... it is somewhat 'refreshing' (for  lack of a better word) knowing that I'm not alone here. I just don't get it...

I feel badly for those of you that have lost your riding spot due to the pandemic. That sucks worse than what I'm dealing with.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 10:50:38 AM »
What I don't get is that their parent/grandparent/guardian/etc, who is an adult should know better. Yet, 95% of the time they don't say a single thing to their kid(s).... and/or will also walk directly through where you are to get where they want to go. They seemingly don't get 'oh, I guess I could walk around the guy on the bike to get to where I want to go'... nope... right through my line (and it's never really that much space)... time and time again. And since they've stood there watching their kid for 20 minutes, they should know where the f*ck I'm going to be when they decide to finally move.

Its amazing that we are probably living on the opposite sides of the planet and people act in the exact same way!I could describe my situation with exactly the same words.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:52:12 AM by mal »

Offline Rufus

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 11:20:32 AM »
It happens to me, too.