Author Topic: older odyssey flatland forks  (Read 3517 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
older odyssey flatland forks
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:33:20 PM »
Im trying to figure out the age and advertised weight of these odyssey flatland forks:

They are zero offset with 14mm dropouts and they are only tapered on the outside. They have that sort of rainbow sticker. I looked through the parts section here on global-flat but none of the ones i saw matched exactly.

I've had these forks for a long time so i don't remember when i bought them, but its likely been more than 10 years... maybe even more than 15? Anyone know?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: older odyssey flatland forks
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 10:25:02 AM »
Hi,it is 99 % this one:http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/35Even though it has other stickers I have the same but removed the stickers. I am not sure how they looked like.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:28:21 AM »
Mine weighs 1118 g including top bolt (36 g) and brake mounts (26 g) with uncut steerer tube.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
I think you are right daddycool, thank you. I glanced at those earlier but assumed they were not the correct because of the sticker... but now looking at them closely it looks like that's it. And the year 2004 makes sense, I think maybe I remember buying them sometime around 2004-2006

What kind of scale are you using? I only have a cheap bathroom scale, it's not accurate as my weight will fluctuate several pounds from one moment to the next. So not very good for weighing bike, I only use it to give me a ballpark weight of my bike (currently ~29 lbs)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 11:10:19 PM »
And about the scale issue - I did my own research and discovered people use those hanging type scales for weighing stuff like bike parts. Seems Park Tools makes one for bicycles. I searched amazon and found a different one, intended to be used for fishing but it'll work for what I need - and based on the reviews it's suppose to be reliable and well made. It's going to be nice to be able to weigh my own parts now. The bathroom scale method is so horribly inaccurate.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 09:54:05 AM »
And about the scale issue - I did my own research and discovered people use those hanging type scales for weighing stuff like bike parts. Seems Park Tools makes one for bicycles. I searched amazon and found a different one, intended to be used for fishing but it'll work for what I need - and based on the reviews it's suppose to be reliable and well made. It's going to be nice to be able to weigh my own parts now. The bathroom scale method is so horribly inaccurate.

I have found that digial scales sold on eBay are the same as the hanging scales. I throw a zip tie in the wheel or use a velcro strap to lock the brake. It gave me the same weight as a hanger type scale. Also, I'm OCD with knowing the weights of my parts. I guess just to compare to the advertised weight. I have lists and lists of parts and their weights. Unfortunately, I lost a bunch of them when I lost my last phone and no longer have the parts. We should start a "real weight thread"...because sometimes, they are massively off the advertised weight.
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 10:42:07 PM »
I use a kitchen scale which works until 5 kg in 1 g steps and for small parts I use something like this:
https://www.amazon.de/Dipse-Digitale-Laborwaage-TP-500-Digitalwaage/dp/B00W3JSKGM/ref=sr_1_15?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=3LFYZZ5Z9Q8ND&keywords=waage+milligramm&qid=1572989579&sprefix=waage+%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-15
I never tested the accuracy, but I think it is good enough.
The weight of my bike is only calculated by the sum of the parts. Over the years I weighed all the parts including brake cables and all this small stuff so I guess it is precise in the range of + - 50 g for the full bike. The other option is a personal scales with 0.1 kg steps and to weigh yourself and then yourself with the bike in your hands...

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 03:11:27 PM »
Im trying to figure out the age and advertised weight of these odyssey flatland forks:

They are zero offset with 14mm dropouts and they are only tapered on the outside. They have that sort of rainbow sticker. I looked through the parts section here on global-flat but none of the ones i saw matched exactly.

I've had these forks for a long time so i don't remember when i bought them, but its likely been more than 10 years... maybe even more than 15? Anyone know?

Global-flat's brain here. I may be late to the party, but better late than never!
That "rainbow sticker" is a dead giveaway (at least for me it is). It came on the 2006 models of the 2004 Odyssey Pro Flat fork. The specs didn't change at all and are the exact same as on the 2004 Pro Flat fork.

Check out the date in this screenshot as well as the "rainbow sticker". Like I said, it's the 2006 model.

They changed the fork in 2007 and in 2010, the Flatware forks were introduced.
2004 thru 2006 models: http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/35 (as mentioned by "DaddyCool")

2007 thru 2009 models: http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/933

Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 04:28:44 PM »
Thanks man  :beer: . Confirms what daddycool said.

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »
Thanks man  :beer: . Confirms what daddycool said.
You're welcome!
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.