Author Topic: Flatlanders get no respect  (Read 268 times)

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Flatlanders get no respect
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 12:40:22 AM »

You would go crazy Richard to see my Basketball Courts and they are lit until
10:30pm with bright white lights and maybe I need to put a photo of those courts
up and make ya'll drool a bit.  lol

Away from people and crazy people in cars and they are out there!

Offline aliasdck

• Backpacker
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 02:46:45 AM »
Nobody gets upset or tries to kick you out when you ride there? Around here sometimes the cops will kick me out especially if it's a nice court in a nice area

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 03:15:16 AM »

Nahhhhh

Both myself and sometimes OSG rides there and
we have never gotten kicked out and sometimes
there are basketball players there. But I usually
go there when I work a 7am-12 noon shift and
kids are in school and the rest are still at work.

I ride 2-3 hours and then leave before the kids
are out of school and people are off work.This is
my daytime riding spot.

This can be also a night time weekday spot during
the week when the kids are all in for night and
mostly no one there at the park after 8pm and
you can ride from 8pm-lights out! (10:30pm).

I also have the spot at the bottom of my street and to
the right a bit and it is still in my complex and like no
one bothers me.There might be a passing car,time to
time but nothing crazy at all and the security totally
knows who I am inside the complex!

Offline Timmer74

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 08:52:58 PM »
thanks for all the replies my fellow riders! It definitely helps me feel less 'alone' in this sport where people just dont seem to understand what it is we're doing and feel that they can treat us with little to no respect.

However, I don't see myself able to just plough into kids/people to be honest.... for a few reasons

1) I'm old and falling hard suuuuucks. ploughing into people will more than likely leave myself and them hurt. That isn't fun for anybody. That and I'm trying really hard to not be a d*ck that gets people to call the cops or something on me since I'm riding at a school (even if it is an abandoned school...).

2) I'm a Dad of two kids and the thought of running into a 4 year old on my bike isn't something that I see myself doing. What I simply do NOT understand is how their parent(s) and/or grandparent(s) will stand there and watch these young kids literally play under me without saying a single word. It's flat out insanity, thoughtless, and terrible parenting to me.

However, I do understand the lesson that they need to learn. I just don't really want to be the 'teacher' in this case :)...

3) If I'm being a d*ck on my bike that makes flatlanders look bad. I think we're already sort of looked down upon by the world and thrown into the 'they're all weed smoking troublemakers that I don't want my kids associating with'... While, yes, I do NOT want your fuggin kid(s) riding under me while I'm riding, I do want them to look at flatland as something awesome and potentially want to get into someday.

For what it's worth, I don't really think 'scooter kids' are the problem per se. I've had way more issues with 'skater kids' than I have those on scooters. I think it's more the fact that the kids at the skatepark(s) don't really know the rules of the skatepark because they're parents don't know the rules. but, yes, those newbie kids at the parks tend to be on scooters.... In my experience, the scooter kids will 'hey, sorry man' if they get in your way or something WAY more times than the kids on skateboards. The skater kids are all way more "f*ck off" in my experience.

Both of my sons are 'scooter kids' and follow the skatepark rules and are usually treated like sh*t because they're on scooters. It's pretty lame in my opinion. They're following the rules, so don't snake them and be a d*ck about it.... alas, this is a whole other topic so I'll stop it here...

I too dream of having a wherehouse that I can ride in year round!