Author Topic: All time best flatland productions. (Videos)  (Read 5104 times)

Offline a08

• Backpacker
All time best flatland productions. (Videos)
« on: March 26, 2020, 04:15:23 AM »
whether released as DVDs or online what do you all think are the all-time best flatland specific productions. id like to gather ideas to run a poll of sorts
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:44:58 PM by khe killah »

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: all time best flatland productions. (Videos)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 08:36:00 AM »
Dorkin' in York series!! Production values were low but the riding was groundbreaking.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 03:44:00 PM »
My first ever video I loved to death was Highrollers 5 which came out in 1996 when I first started. Steve Roy's part blew my mind and I wore out my poor VHS copy by rewatching the same part over and over.

Then over the years I was hooked on intrickat videos like Mixt, Landescape, Flatsphere, Infinite pieces, etc

More recently I got hooked on Dane Beardsley videos: Same thing daily 1 & 2, Video name, Flatcrap

Offline a08

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 06:22:33 PM »
My first ever video I loved to death was Highrollers 5 which came out in 1996 when I first started. Steve Roy's part blew my mind and I wore out my poor VHS copy by rewatching the same part over and over.

Then over the years I was hooked on intrickat videos like Mixt, Landescape, Flatsphere, Infinite pieces, etc

More recently I got hooked on Dane Beardsley videos: Same thing daily 1 & 2, Video name, Flatcrap

1996 - Highrollers 5 - Beer Sex and BMX

edit I don't know how to embed a video but theres the link! watching that now lol
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:56:00 PM by khe killah »

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 06:46:38 PM »
I really liked Elusions. Possibly more from a production aspect, as the music was all bespoke, (I produce music myself, so the effort wasn't lost on me) but the aesthetic just floats my boat; same with Heresy videos, there's a vibe, and I dig it.

As far as filming goes... that's a big question. I feel there's a lot lacking in flatland videos as far as storytelling, which is usually page 1 in video production (quick guide to cinematography: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/film-studies-101-camera-shots-styles/)
I don't think lighting will ever enter BMX lexicon in the same way it has with skateboarding (The In Focus series is a good starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgP3MfpY6hs&list=PL6127F57BA3448E57&index=1) but it doesn't hurt to know & understand these things.

In fact Effraim just posted a video breakdown of Dub's recent edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6p9d4Q52RA&lc= with much of the same thought process in mind - I think it really helps to be thinking about the spot and production values, even if it's just some floating text in After Effects, and the type of cut you use, so you can really give the riding a platform to stand on.

While I'm talking about skate videos, check out the Evisen video: https://www.skatebtc.com/v/evisen-video-evisen-2017/10499.htm packed with post production and blink-and-you'll-miss-it cuts, it's interesting and irreverant. as far as actual storytelling goes, I think you wouldn't go far wrong to watch Birdhouse: The End.

Here's another good cinematography history/theory for action sports series (ok yeah, skateboarding again) https://theberrics.com/shoot-all-skaters

I haven't mentioned many flatland videos because there are so many in terms of tricks that stand out in their own way, some people move me more in 5 seconds of instagram footy than 2 mins of spinning, but you have to appreciate them all on their merits.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:21:12 PM by nosubsteve »

Offline FlatismŽ

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 08:12:52 PM »
Intrikat Background, E-Clips and Dane's STD's have always been on rotation for me personally.
Im not too well up on the merits on the production side of filming, but Chad stole it with the aesthetic on Background.
I feel the accompaniment of a sh*t hot soundtrack and a rider shredding will be always works trumps over studio indulgence. .On the other hand...  I recall enjoying Rum being really progressive on the eye so that undoes that argument, haha.
Oh and Zai's had an edge to em.
Flat-ism

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 09:00:56 PM »
Ooooo I think you underestimate the importance of production. Different lenses, follow filming, dolly or fixed, even adjustment to the live sound depending on trick focus, colour correction, timing your cuts...

I just had a quick peek at Zai, and the modern/brutalist architecture (correct if necessary) makes a massive difference to the aesthetic. Japan is wild!

There are a lot of videos trying to look 20 years old still using VX1000's or even replicating the effect with plugins, and while that aesthetic has it's place; it's still niche, or a quirk that when replicated can't - in my opinion - be considered timeless. Wide angles are definitely a useful tool, but not the only tool available.

But yeah, music + video = 90% of the product. The rest is icing.

Also: links please!

EDIT:

This is clearly the best BMX video of all time[size=78%]https://www.facebook.com/OldmanBmx/videos/1463569510454486/[/size]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:03:07 AM by nosubsteve »

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 05:11:39 AM »

I have over 250 flatland videos in my collection and I have many favs to say
the least and the Dorkin series is still at my top of the list and Landscapes 3
which just came out..I watch a lot and I did a little filming for that video of
Dirty Stephen Hearns in Santa Rosa.

The Intrikat videos I love too and Elusions also but no one even mentions
the Flatland Fugitives videos(3 of those) and the Baco Videos..classic flat
videos that paved the way like the Dorkin videos did.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 11:14:14 AM »
It's been ages since i wanted to isolate all the flatland parts from the Baco videos and the Standard phat ones and style cuts into a single video.

Very inspirational parts with great music too,many video makers destroy the feeling of the parts by mixing them with bad music..

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 06:46:48 PM »

1996 - Highrollers 5 - Beer Sex and BMX

edit I don't know how to embed a video but theres the link! watching that now lol

Thank you. YouTube is a treasure trove of videos.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:56:34 PM by khe killah »

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 06:01:16 AM »

Yeah plenty of stuff to watch on youtube and like I said one of these days
you need to come over Richard and watch Landscapes 3

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 07:15:41 AM »
Yup once this virus problem gets under control I'd love to, we could ride then watch some vids.

I have watched landscape 3 many times already, bought a copy the day it was released and the watched it a bunch of times. Very very good movie, I wish we had many more like them.

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 12:22:35 AM »

Yeah,flatland videos are far and few being made and most are posted on facebook,
and numerous other sites now and Flatland CD's have really gone dinosaur on us...
I am hoping they make a comeback!

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 03:05:07 PM »
Trick Stars #6 by Original Gipsy has a special place in my heart, it is the only DVD I actualy own and there is a Portuguese rider there, Valter Guerreiro. The overall result is quite good and riding of course is very nice with some riders that I hate apparently did not progress with a more public career like Peter Sarlos or Denes Katona.

Trick Stars #6
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:58:02 PM by khe killah »

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »

I like the Trick Star videos and own all of them actually.
Whats up Hugo and no time no see...its been awhile and
there are a lot of less known flatland videos that are really
good!