Author Topic: Dump truck help!  (Read 2723 times)

Offline clionb

• Funky Chicken
Dump truck help!
« on: September 21, 2007, 05:40:53 AM »
I can do stick bs pretty good now and the ride out is not hard. But i cant get the dump truck. I can balance them alot better now but i still cant actually do them. I can get the front up grab the peg underhand but it seems like im just stuck behind the bars. Any advice?

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
Re: Dump truck help!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 05:53:42 AM »
Just practice rolling in the dumptruck position in a straight line (straight line so that you are controlling it equally with both feet). When you can roll it comfortably for the length of your spot/length of a tennis court etc. then you're ready to step straight in.

If you're confident with what you need to do to balance after you've stepped into the trick then stepping in is easy. Stepping in directly from stick b or timemachine is a little more difficult as you will find it harder to control the dumptruck and stop it turbining into backwards.

If you're getting stuck behind the bars then it sounds like a case of fear of the unknown to me. Just practice rolling them for another week or so - then next weekend... BAM!

One other thing - if you're going to start a love affair with dumptrucks then you can kiss goodbye to your current seating arrangements. 1 dumptruck related combo = 1 seat ground to nothing.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 05:56:39 AM by FlatPaul »

Offline clionb

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 05:58:28 AM »
Haha bro my seat already has like less then half the cushion left it in so thats not a problem. But i should grab the peg or w/e and just roll with my free leg out or what?

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 07:11:26 AM »
Nah - you've gotta get your free foot through and onto the peg as quickly as possible as the bike is mega unstable whilst there is one hand on a front peg and one foot on a back peg.

This is what I do:

1) r-foot on r-peg both hands on grips bars right way around.
2) turn bars anticlockwise so that they're switched and left hand is upside down on left grip - At the same time I reach for the peg with my right hand.

So far it's a bog standard stick b or timemachine but I'm rolling in a big circle.

3) as I step my free leg through to meet the other rear peg I put the front peg that I'm holding in my right hand into my left and turn the bars another half way round anticlockwise again.

Man that sounds complicated... I'll try and get a clip of me up. . .

Offline Tweekend

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 03:24:04 PM »
If you can roll for a little bit with your right hand holding the left peg in underhand grip, then you're set to Dump!! (??)  I find that from that balance point, keep your body in that exact position, and pull the bike back AND to the right, so you can just step your right foot past the frame and onto the tyre.  I found at first I would always fall off the left side, coz I didn't pull the bike to the right, I was more trying to 'go around' the frame with my body.  Also, if u bail forward most of the time, you're moving your body forward, not the bike back.     
Watch 'Ground Rules' closely and you'll see Matt's body is basically stationary untill his foot hits the tyre.
Good luck, my man!! 
(Check Flat-Paul's vid out when he gets one up for ya.  He's definately got skillz)

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 04:16:12 PM »
 Try grabbing the fork leg-the bottom of it right next to the hub- instead of the peg.. ,the right side fork leg that you are facing,it might be easier rolling in that position and getting the bars past you when dropping in..I dunno...  try it...

dump trucks aren't too hard.. there more scary than anything..You can propably learn em in like 3 days..get on that sh*t...good luck..