Author Topic: What trick are you working on?  (Read 6596 times)

Offline a08

• Backpacker
What trick are you working on?
« on: March 21, 2020, 12:24:04 AM »
Im working on hang 5's.. I know.. pretty basic but what can I say?

I made the balance trainer and it seems to be helpful

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: What trick are you working on?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 01:43:20 AM »
I'm still working on pedal time machines, have been on and off for like a year now. Lately started focusing on turbining them, feels awkward but getting better at it each day.

Offline a08

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 01:45:12 AM »
I'm still working on pedal time machines, have been on and off for like a year now. Lately started focusing on turbining them, feels awkward but getting better at it each day.

do you go right to the pedal or step on the bottom bracket first?

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 09:30:57 AM »
Right to the pedal but I'm also working on the BB step up, just haven't quite got it down yet.

Hang 5's are hard to learn - same with Karl Kruisers. A couple months ago I got determined to learn both of them opposite. Reminded me how ****ing difficult it was to learn them regular when I first started riding flatland (1996). With time you may start to forget just how difficult it was.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:35:47 AM by aliasdck »

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 03:32:43 AM »
Working on hang 5 myself. I either push too hard and go flying forward, or not push hard enough.

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 04:43:25 AM »
front wheel tricks are all hard for me. Some days I feel like 'ok, I got hang 5's' and then others it's like the first day I tried one. I've also been working on half lashes for what feels like forever. More the version where you don't put the back wheel down but ride them more like a steamroller (though both hands on the bars still).

Turbining rear wheel tricks too is something I've been working on. Single foot and both feet. I can get a few and then all my momentum gets lost in the pumps. Opposite foot peg wheelie to where you pivot the bike under you and then you peg wheelie the bike upside down (no clue what it's called). I've got pretty big feet (size 13) and pivoting while not getting my toes tangled in the chainstay feels almost impossible to me... but, is something I'm always trying to get. Same thing with opposite foot rear peg wheelie into a scuffless lardyard. Same issue with the ol' feet. I've sort of taken a step back and trying to get more comfortable with my foot further out on the peg.

Firehydrant to backwards karl kruiser (smooth with no brake tap) is another one I've been trying to get down. Or even trying to firehydrant to forward karl kruiser... that fwd pivot is not something I'm comfortable with.

Time machines are something I'm trying to learn as well.

here's a silly one that I should have down but do not. McCircle... I have no clue why this trick is so hard for me to learn. Maybe because it's that I'm sort of tall, old, and have big feet.... yeah, I'm running with that excuse :). But, getting my dumb clown foot up to the front tire to scuff in a firehydrant feels super awkward to me. I really should practice this one more than I do. I might try it 5 or so times every session and then 'enough of that nonsense!' and move on to other things...

I feel like my trick 'arsenal' is filled with a ton of tricks that I'm working on and only a handful of ones that feel consistent.

Offline hydrostyler

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 07:15:53 PM »
For the last couple years I've had it in my mind to want to get multiple whiplashes and a hitch hiker added to the trick list.  I set out to practice them, but have a hard time committing to keeping the bike forward after the 1st whiplash and hesitate to drop the bars down for the hitch hiker.  During this Corona lockdown, I built one of the balance trainer peg holder contraptions.  It seems to build confidence by letting you feel the movements of the bike, but in a safer way.  I'm hoping to build muscle memory and take it to the pavement when the weather and improves.

Offline a08

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 02:45:20 PM »
Right to the pedal but I'm also working on the BB step up, just haven't quite got it down yet.

Hang 5's are hard to learn - same with Karl Kruisers. A couple months ago I got determined to learn both of them opposite. Reminded me how ****ing difficult it was to learn them regular when I first started riding flatland (1996). With time you may start to forget just how difficult it was.

I totally get it, cant wait till I dial them though. I feel like the hang 5 is a gateway trick lol

Offline a08

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 02:48:48 PM »
Working on hang 5 myself. I either push too hard and go flying forward, or not push hard enough.

too be honest Im right about here on the balance trainer.. I was reading through some comments on IG or FB and people saying that they're nothing like the real thing, which I can imagine its not the same of course but I swear its helping.

I probably tried 50 times to get into the position on the balance trainer, I was either popping to far forward or not enough like you said, then I got it.  then I was getting it every 25 tries. then every 10 or 15 tries. now its about every 8 or 9 tries. its a only a matter of time before I can do them consistently on the balance trainer and since my body muscles will know what to do and where to go I will just have to learn the additional aspects of doing them while rolling.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 10:01:05 PM »
In regards to Hang 5, that was a trick i was determined to master.

The best way i can describe it;

Your shoulders need to be over the front wheel and your head wants to end up almost in line with the end of the wheel. 90% of the trick is actually to just push the handlebars forward so the back wheel lifts up.
As you push the bars, slightly shift your weight forward and get your weight over that wheel. You do not want your arms locked but very slightly bent.
You want the seat to touch your arse when you push it up. You then keep it locked in place with both your arms and your butt to make you and the bike one object so to speak.

To keep the balance use your arms and your hanging leg like a tail, your body should kind of do it instinctively...

As previously mentioned, this is a fundamental trick that leads into lots of other thing so putting in the graft to learn it will pay off in the long run. I tried it for ages before it clicked, but it did just click.
In the day it clicked i went from doing nothing to the whole tennis court by the end of the day. Once you feel it your know.

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 09:03:32 PM »
great reply Killah!
I have days where it does seem to click and then the next day it's like I never did one before... It's insane. Those days where things click feel awesome. The other days.... less awesome. I love to blame the elements on those days... you know... oh, the wind was blowing too hard... there was too much sun and my shadows were messing with me.... there wasn't enough sun... it's a Wednesday and I ride better on non Wednesdays... Unless it's a 'bad thursday'... I didn't wait an hour after eating lunch before riding... My list of excuses is really long  O0

I need to look into this trainer thing you're all talking about. When I can't get outside to ride I tend to play around with the unkbike... or whatever it's called. basically the front end of the bike. While I don't feel like it really tanslates much back to my bike I do find it to be a fun challenge and working the balance center of the ol' noggin.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 09:40:59 PM »
My nemesis is multiple whiplashes, i think it will just click one day but that doesn't seem like anyday soon.

I just need this lockdown to be over so i can go out and ride, oh and nice weather, and no wind!

Offline jerky

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »
My nemesis is multiple whiplashes, i think it will just click one day but that doesn't seem like anyday soon.

That makes two of us with multiple whiplashes. I was never good at singles in my younger years and any doubles I eeked out were terrible and I was barely rolling anymore by the time the second one came around from laying on the brakes too much. Learning multiple brakeless whiplashes has become my hiatus return, old man goal for this year. I made a bunch of progress when it started getting warmer and managed to hit my first brakeless whiplash in the early days of the pandemic. Progress has been slowed lately by moving plans but I expect to pick up the pace again when that is over.

I saw the posting about the trick of the month list and capturing a multiple whiplash for December has been incorporated into my goal. You should wrestle with your nemesis too!

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 06:23:09 AM »

I've had issues with my ears...sounds funny...but it makes every day kind of seem like you're re-learning muscle memory.

With that said, I've been going back to full-on mid 80's balance tricks. Then when I move to rolling tricks (Hang 5's, whiplashes, etc.), they feel super easy again.
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 07:52:30 PM »
I've been working on this a lot lately:

https://youtu.be/WxHxFbIOaR0

I learned how to scuff it many years ago both in a circle and in a straight line but never bothered to dial in the rolling version. First I just practiced rolling it in a straight line, now I've started working on circles (like in the video) and then I'll work on transitioning into other tricks.

Not sure what this trick is called. At first I thought it was a rolling front yard but I think a front yard is only when the standing leg is behind the bars and the balancing/scuffing leg is in front of the bars (so that the bars are between the legs). In this version both legs are in front, it likely has a name but I don't know what it is.

For anyone who already knows how to do this: do you find it better to grip the bars the same way you do when riding around normally (palms facing backwards) or do you find it easier to reverse your grip so that your palms are facing forward?