Author Topic: brake lever is slipping  (Read 1914 times)

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
brake lever is slipping
« on: March 05, 2020, 09:35:41 AM »
Hi,i have the Odyssey Monolevers on some powder coated bars and no matter how much i tighten them they get loose with some hand pressure.

This means that they change position during the session which is not something i want.

They are brand new,so are the bars,i just powder coated the bars black.

I tighten them all the way till i cant tighten them any more and they still can move.

Any suggestions?

I want to try the tin under the lever method as a last resort because it will surely damage the powder coating..

Offline jerky

Re: brake lever is slipping
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 04:16:58 PM »
I currently run black odyssey levers and black Intrikat bars and had similar issue when I first built it. What helped me was taking a wire wheel (I suppose sandpaper could work too) to the inside mating surface of the lever clamps getting it down to raw aluminum. I think the raw aluminum gives it a little better bite than the lever's black finish (I don't know if that happens to be anodized or painted)

-jerky

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 10:42:46 PM »
And they stopped slipping? Interesting..!I am afraid this method too will damage the bars coating but i can't think other solutions..i have to do something..

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 03:06:00 AM »
Oddly enough, I've been dealing with the same situation, but only with one lever. Left-side Tech 77 lever slipping on a set of chrome bars, but grip tight to a set of painted bars. I sanded down the inside of the clamping area, and that did make a bit of difference, but still moveable by hand. I'm thinking that the diameter of the bar is slightly smaller, and that is why it doesn't grip as well.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 04:19:58 PM »
Hi. Did you try to put one or two layers of tape on the bar?

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 10:11:05 PM »
Hey Daddy!No,i thought of it but then thought that the tape would slip too because of the soft material.Do you think this could work?

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 10:16:42 PM »
89,maybe,but the weird part is that only one has the problem.
I have mine where the tube starts to curve,i'm thinking maybe this is the causeas the monolevers do not have a completely circular clamp shape.
Interestingly i had this issue with tech77s on my previous bike,different bars,and it was when they started to crack.Some days later they completely snapped on the hinge area

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 08:20:03 AM »
89,maybe,but the weird part is that only one has the problem.
I have mine where the tube starts to curve,i'm thinking maybe this is the causeas the monolevers do not have a completely circular clamp shape.
Interestingly i had this issue with tech77s on my previous bike,different bars,and it was when they started to crack.Some days later they completely snapped on the hinge area

I had this happen to an old pair of ACS locking levers. Both snapped at the hinges. I still have them somewhere.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
Hey Daddy!No,i thought of it but then thought that the tape would slip too because of the soft material.Do you think this could work?
I did this in the past and it worked (using Tech 77 levers). I used sellotape. Let's say like this: It is so simple and cheap that I hardly see a reason not to try it  ::)

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »
That's interesting!
At the moment the issue is solved i think,i went for a session and they were kept in place.
I sanded the clamp area of the levers and also moved them a bit on the straight tube area as they previously sat on the curve of the tube a bit.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 10:01:04 AM »
I assume it happened because of the installation on the bent area. Thanks for the update.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 06:38:25 PM »
probably..the monolever doesn't touch the tube on the clamping area 100%,more like 300 degrees or something.Combining that with the clamping area on the tube itself that is not perfectly circular on the bend area.Maybe the sanding helped too.