Author Topic: weird front brake mod  (Read 1603 times)

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
weird front brake mod
« on: March 03, 2020, 09:47:58 PM »
Can somebody explain to me what this mod is about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ONzLQkZzRo

It's in Spanish and i don't quite get the purpose of the mod.

I can tell one benefit of the mod is the quick removal of the cable but what is the purpose of the tensioners in the middle of the cable?

It's from the same guy that made the chain tensioners axle saver mod (done it,cool!)

He is a clever engineer it seems and also a very good flatlander,he is on the Deco team.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:13:50 PM by mal »

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
Re: weird front brake mod
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 04:33:12 AM »
Just some extra adjustability would be my guess.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 04:26:19 PM »
It puts the adjustment in a place that is more out-of-the-way, for foot clearance. I use an old Diatech Flexie for this.  http://flatlandfuel.com/diatechflexie.aspx

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 10:10:42 PM »
I get it now..!That's useful.I don't use an adjuster where the cable connects to the brake and it is not very convenient to adjust the tension that way,thats true.

But I get excellent performance without the adjuster though,much better than with it.

What about any added flex from the extra cable?I think it won't be as stiff as using one solid cable.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 02:25:46 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean about added flex from the extra cable, but to me the setup works great. Having the adjuster allows you to tighten up once the cable stretches out some and lets you easily take off the front wheel without removing a pad if you get a flat.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 02:52:13 AM »
I learned this technique from this old Matt Wilhelm video i found when I bought my first bike.