Author Topic: Pivotal seat recommendations  (Read 2058 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Pivotal seat recommendations
« on: December 11, 2019, 09:55:51 PM »
I've used odyssey 99er seat for as long as I can remember but it's getting time to replace it. I've been looking at all the pivotal seats on flatlandfuel but it's hard to pick one without ever having seen any of them in person. Any recommendations? I'm not too worried whether it's padded or not, mostly just want it to be comfortable on the hands/fingers when held during tricks.

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
Re: Pivotal seat recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 10:15:23 AM »
I would recommend the Deco Terry Adams pivotal seat.
https://decobmx.com/2009/06/18/seats/

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:37:37 PM »
FWIW, I got rid of my Pivotal and went back to railed because I liked having the fore and aft adjustability.  I'm planning to go with the Autum Stay Hungry unpadded seat with a Thomson post.  Just something to consider. :)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 11:07:03 PM »
I always like the idea of pivotal seats in order to save weight. But in the end the "original" MacNeil seat in combination with an average pivotal seatpost was the same weight as a light seatpost with a rail seat. So why should I give up the option of shifting the seat forward and backwards? In addition the padding, which is completely unnecessary in my opinion, is likely to get destroyed very quick when doing upside down back wheel tricks. And then so many seat came on the market which were a copy of the original MacNeil seat just with other decals because no company was big enough to spend money on a new mould to produce another seat.Years went by and now we have the Ares seat. Ugly in my opinion, but functional and from what I heard very stiff and wear-resitant. But again: The weight is not lower than a railed seat with a light seat post. So I stick to my opinion: pivotal is a good idea, but so far we do not have products on the market which really take advantage of the concept.I will keep on riding KHE Watanabe seats with reasonable alloy seat posts...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 07:06:55 AM »
Thanks guys, I hadn't even considered sticking with a rail seat because I figured only pivotal seats were available these days but looking at FF I can see the stay hungry seat which looks good. I remember there being the wantanbe seat and a FF infinity version but I don't see them on the site anymore.

And your right, there isn't much of a weight difference to justify going pivotal especially when you consider the loss of the fore/aft adjustment.

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »
DaddyCool made a great observation there. The weight difference is minimal, and you lose the ability to move the seat forwards or backwards. I still run the railed ares seat that came stock with my APlus frame.

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 05:49:08 PM »
aliasdck, I just got my new Stay Hungry seat for Christmas. I verified with Pat at FF that this was the same seat as the Watanabe and Infinity (it is) before asking Santa Claus, LOL.  I love it and installed it on my Thomson post.  Works great!

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 08:34:24 PM »
Thanks. Yes, I got a stay hungry seat as well. Works great and is quite a bit lighter then my old seat.