Author Topic: Switching back to offset forks  (Read 6294 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Switching back to offset forks
« on: December 06, 2019, 01:08:20 AM »
I've read through all the old threads dealing with "zero vs offset" type discussion. Regardless, I'm curious to hear from anyone who tried switching to offset forks after having used zero for a long time. How did it work out? Did you stick with it or decide to go back to zero?

I've been riding zero offset for a long time but thinking of giving minimal a try again.

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
Re: Switching back to offset forks
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 07:40:48 PM »
I ended up getting them Heresy where you can switch between 0/15mm. Running them at 15mm nowadays, as 0º is too twitchy for my riding /tricks
Flat-ism

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 01:40:51 AM »
I've been eyeballing those heresy forks but decided to go with odyssey flatware forks with minimal (16mm) offset. If I end up not liking it then I'll just put my old zeros offset forks back on. Cool thing is that these new forks are about 250g lighter then my old ones and I'm also replacing my front wheel at the same time which is also significantly lighter. This change will knock of about a pound and a half from my front end.

I'm hoping that going back to minimal offset isn't too weird feeling but I've noticed that Ive been able to adjust to most changes I've tried, so I bet after a couple weeks minimal offset will feel completely normal to me again.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »
I tried it several years ago from flatware 0 to the s&m fast pitch (16mm). I realized I did NOT like the change—could have been more mental than anything because of all the pumping and turbines I like to do. Needless to say I switched back to zero and haven’t looked back!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 08:20:55 PM »
I got my order from flatlandfuel last night, installed everything and then went out riding this morning.

Riding with offset again feels both weird and familiar at the same time. Some stuff feels easier while other tricks feel more awkward, but this was to be expected. I'm not sure how I feel about the change yet, I'm gonna keep the offset forks on for a few weeks before deciding whether to stick with it or not.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 08:46:03 AM »
The Heresy Descend 0/15 forks offer the best of both worlds,actually of all worlds,since besides the 0 and 15 offset you can freely adjust the offset from 0 to whatever the dropout allows you.I am waiting mine to arrive.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 03:09:34 AM »
I planned to stick with the minimal offset forks for atleast a few weeks before officially deciding whether I like it or not, but I've been riding everyday now with it for a week and have been nothing but frustrated. Just doesn't feel right and I've been having a hell of a time adjusting. I'm sure if I forced it and kept practicing then I would eventually readjust but why, I was doing fine with zero beforehand.

So I put my zero offset forks back on yesterday and then had one of the best sessions I've had in awhile. That settles it, zero offset is the way to go, for me.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 01:00:45 PM »
Hi aliasdck, that is interesting to hear. I have a 15 mm offset fork at one of my spare bikes which I do not ride seriously but whenever I try it, I do not like the offset so much. I am using zero on my main bike for more than ten years and so I think I will keep it.Thanks for sharing!

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 08:44:14 PM »
I have been using the S&M Fast Pitch with a 13 mm offset and they seem to be just right for flat and the occasional skatepark session.