Author Topic: 990 directly to the frame  (Read 5862 times)

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
990 directly to the frame
« on: November 27, 2019, 08:19:27 PM »
Hi,i am looking for some replacement 990 bolts to attach the brake straight to the holes meant for the frame brake mounts to make it low profile,any suggestions?

Will these work? https://www.kunstform.org/en/the-shadow-conspiracy-sano-brake-bolts-p-4794
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:22:59 PM by mal »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: 990 directly to the frame
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:00:58 PM »
Hello mal,I do not fully understand what you plan to do.You will need a brake mount in every case. Depending on your frame (which one do you have?) you need brake mounts with a suitable thread. If you are lucky you find some with a lower profile.There are many different ones on the market...

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 07:38:26 AM »
Hi Daddycool,i want to mount the 990 bolts directly to the frame (it has holes for brake mounts) without using the frame's brake mounts. By using longer bolts that protrude enough from the brake that don't need the break mount.

Like the fly bikes spring hanger brake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgflG9dopMk

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 03:41:14 PM »
Hi mal, do you know that the FlyBikes brakes uses the "cable hanger" as a spring? So this bolt system does not have any spring included that brings your brake arm away from the rim after breaking. So unless you use this special cable hanger (which of course only works for a back brake), your brake will not work.I doubt that there are other screws than the FlyBikes ones. So these would need to fit into your frame. And you would need the spring hanger. Can you buy these as a spare part?

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »
i think the ones from the fly brake (actually i think they were made by khe,you can still buy them from the khe site with khe logo on them) will not work on other brakes.

But i don't see why a longer bolt that matches the frame threads won't work,like the ones i posted above.

Maybe i am missing something,i don't know.
I think the regular springs would still work if you find the correct bolt.

I plan to go to a specialized bolt only store that i know and check if i can find the ones needed.

Currently i am waiting for a new fork to arrive so i can have the fork's threads size.

I already bought this springerhanger brake from khe to use on the rear.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:29:35 PM by mal »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 11:08:22 PM »
Hi mal,the bolts that you posted have a thread along the whole bolt. The ones from the KHE/Flybikes brake do have a threadless thicker part close to the head.
When you do not use a brake mount, this threadless part is where your brake arms slide on. So how could your brake arm move on the thread of a normal bolt? Maybe I do not understand it, but I am almost sure that it cannot work like you describe.
Another aspect for front use: On a normal brake, the big nuts which allow you to set the tension of the spring will be pressed against the top end of the brake mount to be fixed. Thus, the tension of the spring is stable. When you do not have a brake mount, how would the nut be fixed? How would you have a reset force? For my understanding this is the reason why it works only with the spring hanger and therefore it is not possible for the fork.
Let us know if you find a way to make it work!

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 09:46:26 AM »
Hi Mal I think I kow what you're trying to accomplish. It sounds like you want a lower profile brake without the bulky spring to deal with. One thing you could try is the Odyssey Springfiled brake. They don't use internal arm springs. They just use a standard spring spanning the back of both arms.

shop.odysseybmx.com/search?x=0&y=0&q=springfield&type=product

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 11:59:04 AM »
I think i need to find some bolts that fit the threads of the frame's brake mounts holes (actually the fork's in my case) that also have an area for the brake leg to sit on so that the spring can be tightened.

Maybe its actually difficult to find something like this,i ll check when my new frame arrives as i don't want to disassemble my current bike's brake.

About the Odyssey brake,i like their spring system but i don't like the look of the brake,especially for front brake use..

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 12:34:15 PM »
I think i need to find some bolts that fit the threads of the frame's brake mounts holes (actually the fork's in my case) that also have an area for the brake leg to sit on so that the spring can be tightened.

(yep, it's called brake mounts ;) )
spring have to be tightened, with spring caps most of the time, exactly like DaddyCool described

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 04:18:31 PM »
the whole point of this is to move the front brake even closer to the fork,the area for this exists so why not.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »
Hi,this is how it looks at my main bike with a Flatware fork, the original brake mounts and a Suelo brake. How much closer could it be?Maybe you just need other mounts?

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 09:45:38 AM »
That's what i want,this is as low profile as it gets!I ordered the Heresy descend forks and the brake mounts protrude more than this.I will re-check the situation when the forks arrive