Author Topic: Are 9'' and higher bars really better for flatland?  (Read 4222 times)

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
Are 9'' and higher bars really better for flatland?
« on: November 11, 2019, 05:36:03 PM »
(In the same concept with the pegs thread earlier)

Coming back to flat after an 18 years (!) break i am really amazed with the current bars ''norm''
height.

I left them at 7'' height max and now i am building a new bike and can barely find a piece under 8.5''

So.Lets get technical.

What are the tricks that really benefit from the taller bars?

I read all the time that it helps you if you got back pain,but that ain't a trick.I never really had any back pain from flatland,neither i do now that got back to it with my 7'' bars.I am 5.9' and 40 years old.

So please post the tricks that you find easier performing with the higher bars AND those that were easier with the midschool bars.

I can start by saying that (i imagine,since i haven't try them yet) in front wheel tricks that you have to hold both the bars and the seat (like steamrollers,funky chicken type tricks etc) it has to be harder with tall bars,because the distance the seat has from the bars is bigger.

Share your experience along with your height and your bars height!(because obviously the rider's height is a VERY important parameter!)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:39:04 PM by mal »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Are 9'' and higher bars really better for flatland?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 10:49:59 PM »
Yep yep yep, definitely get on the 8" or higher train, most riders are anywhere from 8.5 to 10 inches tall bars now. Different posture due to longer frames and hunching over is being remedied for increased comfort due to the taller bars. Even then we just set my buddy up who is over 40 riding an 18.7" quamen on a set of 9" intrikat bars. May take a little getting used to tho so proceed at your own pace with the bigger sizes. Hope that helps!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 04:03:19 PM »
Hi mal,I rode a 7.1" bar with the stem at max height for years. Then I switched to 8.5" with the stem about 1 cm below max height, so in total about 1.5 cm higher. I am 1.88 m (6.2'?).
It feels better for hang fives, whiplashes or decades. Steamrollers are not so different, but this is caused by my seat being not as low as most riders have it today. When I have my bar at 90°, the bar end is about 3 cm higher than the front end of the seat. This fits together for me... I would not ride a 9" or higher bar with a low seat, but this is personal preference (I would say most riders who are doing this do it because of the street-look trend).Bar hops are more difficult with higher bars in my opinion.Back wheel tricks like gerator or megaspin feel different because the front end of the bike is closer to the ground with a taller bar. The distance to the pegs make it different to change hands when riding into a caboose for example, but I would say you get used to this.If you are not so special about sweep/geometry I would say buy a cheap offer street bar and try it out. But with your body size I would say more than 9" makes no sense unless you have a super special riding style and do very special tricks.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 05:59:08 PM »
Yeah i won't go above 9''.

I ideally would like to find an 8''/8.25''/8.5'' max,just to try if it really helps my tricks.

I really don't follow trends,but i have a personal aesthetic preference as far as how my bike should look,so that i like my bike and feel motivated to ride it.My seat was always 10cm above the seatpost clamp,so with very tall bars it will look slammed..

I would go for street bars but i can't,reasons are 1) I need minimal upsweep because my palms hurt with bars that are generous on the upsweep and 2) I need minimal backsweep too,because i have quite a bit of reversed bars trickery and backsweep doesnt help..

I am having a really hard time finding a 4piece,around 8'' bar with minimal backsweep and upsweep that i also like aesthetically..Like,there are none!

The bars i am looking at (but can't find anymore) are St Martin BTFs and Deco Genius 8''/8.5''.I Really like that Standard Strip Bars/S&M Castillo bars design. I can't find strip bars in Europe though,i can find Castillos but they are pretty low,even for my taste!

Thanks for the replies,really helpful!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:02:31 PM by mal »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 08:37:37 PM »
Hey mal, I can really understand that! I also need to have a certain look for my bike and I also don't like more than minimal backsweep. So a street bar would not do it...What about the Heresy Dismember? It was/is available in 8.25" with 1° us and 3° bs. I think you could sell it for a good price if you don't like it.The ones you mention could really be hard to find.If you know what you like I would suggest a custom bar, but if you just want to try it out it is too expensive of course.Maybe something used?Marton might have some OG Caramel 3 left at home (I bought one last year). It is 8" and about 3° us and bs. You can find his e-mail in some of his videos (search vimeo for example).

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 08:38:18 PM »
Here is his latest:
https://vimeo.com/372668610

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 11:40:31 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!I was looking at the Heresy too,its a contender!

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »
One more came to my mind for a classic look: Liberte Grave HandlebarAnother idea a friend followed several times: "custom sweep". He heated up the bar and bent them to the sweep that he wanted. To avoid cracks he put sand into the tube while doing this. After it has cooled down you need to repaint.To be honest I would be sceptical at least on a long term, but with a cheap/used bar I might give it a try to ride such a modified bar for some weeks. Then I would replace it for safety reasons.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 03:06:57 PM »
Yeah,pretty risky and messy!

If i lived in US i would have made myself a custom one from Standard,that's for sure,that's the best choice by far for me.
But ordering it from europe is a no go,it would cost more than 200e with all the customs and stuff.

i am not looking into graveyard or chase guinn style bars,i don't like super low crossbars,thanks for the suggestions though..!

My ideal bars are the St. Martin 2013 BTF bars,if i ordered a custom the geometry would be exactly like that.
I hope i find them one day.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 03:08:54 PM by mal »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 09:12:04 PM »
Ok, got it...If you are in Europe: Why don't you ask Malo (PiR) for a custom bar? The design that you want is not so difficult to produce. And if you don't need butted tubing I am pretty sure Malo can make one for you for a good price. His products are more expensive with higher complexity of production which is fair, and so you would be on the lucky side.I guess you know him, don't you? If not check here:http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=46729.msg393167#msg393167Most customers including me are very satisfied with his work. Good quality for a reasonable price!

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »
At page 33 there is a picture with dozens of his handlebars to give you an idea...

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 09:34:21 PM »
That's very interesting,thank you very much! I will contact him!