Author Topic: h24,m24, m25, star nut, Ahead set, threadless etc.  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Eddie

h24,m24, m25, star nut, Ahead set, threadless etc.
« on: October 29, 2019, 02:14:55 PM »
Hey Guys, I'm a bit confused and I cant seem to get this in line in my head.  Maybe someone can clear things up for me.
I took off the stem bolt/compression bolt and removed the top cap off my bike yesterday.  So I noticed there was a star nut in my threadless steerer tube.  To my understanding, star nuts are for Aheadsets on older mid school bikes?  I also noticed there were various bolt sizes for the star nuts.  Some allow hollow bolts and some allow regular bolts.  As far as mine, it seems it will not accept a hollow bolt.  Does this mean I will need to use another star nut should I decide to use a hollow bolt?
The top caps, h24, m24, m25...are these just different style top caps used on modern bmx bikes?  Do these all accept compression bolts as well, connected to a star nut?  These seem threaded and that is throwing me off also, considering most steerer tubes are mostly threadless nowdays.So do all threadless tubes use a star nut?
Im sure this is all really simple once I get it right in my head, as I am all kinds of confused right now haha.  Thanks guys!

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
Re: h24,m24, m25, star nut, Ahead set, threadless etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »

Does this mean I will need to use another star nut should I decide to use a hollow bolt?

yes

The top caps, h24, m24, m25...are these just different style top caps used on modern bmx bikes?

yes

Do these all accept compression bolts as well, connected to a star nut?

no, no need for a star nut here. These threaded compression caps are compatible with forks where the steerer tube is threaded on the inside, that's all

These seem threaded and that is throwing me off also, considering most steerer tubes are mostly threadless nowdays.So do all threadless tubes use a star nut?

yes you need a star nut when the inside of the steer tube is not threaded

Today forks now have threadless steer tube on the outer (1'1/8 diameter), and it can be threaded on the inside of the steer tube, allowing there to use simply a complying threaded compression cap

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 02:37:46 PM »

generally speaking, now we got internet and boards, best is always to provide pics of your situation when you have questions, that helps to have a better idea of what is going on when it come to standards and compatibility issues ;)

https://imgbb.com/

https://imgur.com/upload

Offline Eddie

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 02:44:37 AM »

Revig, thanks for taking the time to answer.  I think I have a better picture of what is going on  in the head sets now :beer: Ive been debating on whether or not I want to add a front brake on one of my bikes.
This helps a lot, thanks!