Author Topic: crank drifting/moving help  (Read 8693 times)

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
crank drifting/moving help
« on: October 25, 2019, 07:42:07 AM »
hey all,
I'm wondering if any of you have any tips/tricks for keeping your cranks from drifting. I just took the bike apart and cleaned it up and now have these nice smooth cranks that love to drift on me during tricks. I currently have my chain pretty tight but with juuuust a wee bit of slack. I hate getting it so tight that it just feels like I'm tearing the chain apart when pedaling.I have the bottom bracket spacer thing in the bottom bracket and feel like I have the bearings pressed into it pretty well too.

Before the rebuild, I was running the Shadow half link chain and I wasn't dealing with this issue. But, when rebuilding my bike, I bent the stupid pin in my chain breaker and had to switch to a non half link chain since my other chain breaker can't handle the shadow chain.

Anyway, just curious what you all do to deal with this? I'm pretty sure there has to be something I can do other than buy a new chain breaker so I can put the shadow chain back on...

Running the Odyssey Clutch v2 hub too....

thanks for any and all help!

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
Re: crank drifting/moving help
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 05:02:20 AM »

What type of cranks are you using? Profile style / 48 spline? Or something with a pinch bolt?

If you're using Profile style / 48 spline, add another small spacer on the spindle. Then use the actual crank bolts to tighten it up until you get the level of free movement that you want. If it gets too tight, take your crank removal tool, bang it out a little and start over. I like mine loose, actually. So I tend to do this a few times until it's perfect for me.

If you're using the pinch style cranks, you can pretty much do the same thing. Just remember to loosen the pinch bolts up and lock them down when you get the free movement right.

Personally, I don't like using my chain tension to adjust the way the crank moves. Mainly for the same reasons you mentioned. A crunchy feeling and sounding crank is the worst. Plus, it puts excessive tension / wear on the bearings. A decent amount of slack (just like you said you had it) is perfect.

I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 04:47:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply Voodoo! I'll try playing around with that. I ended up sliding the wheel back every so slightly just to get the cranks set. There's not crunching/bad sounds when I pedal. I just hate there always being so much tension on the chain... But, it's working flawlessly right now.

but, I think I'll try your idea just to see if I can get it to work.

and yes, profile 48 spliners.

thanks again dude

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 09:39:11 AM »
I think chad de groot puts a grip flange between the sprocket and the frame for dealing with this situation.Saw it on a chad' bike check on profile's web site,check it out on the link below

https://decobmx.com/2015/10/14/chad-degroot-jackpot-bike-check/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:35:56 AM by mal »

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 01:47:59 PM »
Similar to a grip flange, you can actually buy a bottom bracket designed to put sideways pressure on the bearing to keep your cranks from drifting: https://www.vocalbmx.com/shop/vice-drs-bottom-bracket/

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 05:30:16 PM »
put a grip flange between your sprocket and bb and you'll be good! :)

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 01:48:38 AM »
thanks for the ideas all!I'd actually done the flange idea before but decided I didnt like it. felt super weird to me.

I actually just ordered the vocal bottom bracket conversion parts (not the whole BB). I'm in the USA, so we'll see how long it takes to get here... But, to buy grips and have them shipped wouldnt be that much cheaper...soooo, yeah, why not spend a little more and buy something specifically designed for what I'm looking to fix!

I'll post an update at some point. But, it looks very promising!

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
My question is,doesn't the grip flange mod have an impact when you pedal?Like it slows you down and stuff?
Does the vocal mod work the same?I dont understand how it works.

It obviously is very convenient to have the pedals where you left them,but does it have a cost?
It would suck if you could felt the flange or the vocal mod slowing you down.

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
Sandwiched grip flange works well.  Chad hooked me up with this mod. a few years back.  He has a stack of flanges hanging on the peg board in his shop.  The drag while pedaling is hardly noticable.  The flange eventually wears out so, keep replacements on hand.  This may drive your choice in grips...selecting models with flanges to cut off.  LOL

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 10:14:48 AM »

check : http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=44853

on that old topic the missing pic was showing a flange on the cranck axle before installation, I experimented that solution also, that's a little difficult to put the axle on place but that works really well!

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 11:40:07 AM »
Has anyone tried the Vocal mod? It seems more convenient

But does it wear out the bearings from the pressure?

Offline ckcheong

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 11:42:30 AM »
try to tighten the chain more and the back wheel

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
I guess I forgot to update this thread after using the vocal mod...
I've been using it for a few months now and really like how it works. Truthfully, works very much like the flange approach. However, you can adjust how much 'drag/resistence' you want by tightening 3 set screws. Basically, the more resistence the more you tighten the set screws.

Mal, you were wondering a few things:
1) Do you feel the resistence?
yes, you do feel it. Though, how much you feel it depends on how tight you tighten the scews. I will say that if you tighten it way down it does feel weird to pedal somewhat. All the way down (set screws tightened all the way) just feels like way more than you need. Your cranks barely move backwards if you kick your pedals backwards. However, you don't really need to tighten it down very far for it to work (keep your cranks in place). The resistence doesnt feel as squishy/rubbery as the flange feels. It just feels like your cranks are stiff.

2) Does it wear out the bearings?
Not that I can tell. Only more time will tell, I guess... But, the plate on the bearing isnt metal... at least what I remember (I havent looked at it in a bit). I'm pretty sure it's some kind of plastic. So, if anything wears out, it'd be that piece before your bearing.

Pros:
- It does what I wanted. It keeps my cranks where I left them
- It looks really nice and is something specifically engineered to do what I was looking for
- It wasn't super expensive and allows me to buy whatever grips I want and not worry about the need for flanges to be cut off.
- You can adjust how much resistence you want
- You don't need to run your chain super tight (something that I hate doing).
- It doesnt appear to wear out like flanges do
- It doesnt feel rubbery/squishy like the flange. I never liked how it felt with the flange.
- It shipped to me (USA) really quickly from the UK. I think I had it in about 5 days or so.

Cons:
- the set screws tend to come loose over time. I could use some better locktite on them to keep them in place more. but, I'd be afraid of stripping allen keys if/when I needed to remove the mod. It's very easy to just re-tighten them though.
- The package comes with no kind of 'here's how to install the mod'. Nor could I find anything on the website (the instructions link is a dead link). However, it isn't a super complicated thing. But, there's a couple pieces where you stop and 'um, does this go from this side or the other side...and...uh... the presure plate/disc looks different on both sides... which side faces what?'. I guess I could email the company and ask. but, I just installed it and it seems to be working as intended. Maybe I'll try reversing some things to see if it works differently though.
- only supports Mid and/or Spanish BB. Is that a con? I run mid, but somebody might want something other than Mid or Spanish.

Overall, I'm really pleased with it. I definitely recommend it to those out there wanting a different approach than the flange and/or tight chain.

hopefully that helps give some insight into this mod.
ride on!

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
Excellent review,thanks!