Author Topic: Good tires for scuffing  (Read 10251 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Good tires for scuffing
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 09:31:30 PM »
I've been riding with the s&m tire on my back wheel for the last few days. Definitely starting to like it. Tire grips well and rolls nice. Took a bit to get used to but this is normal for me with any new tire, especially with the change in width, since like voodoo pointed out these are actually the rated width unlike The frequency gs I normally use.

I'm liking them so far. Unfortunately my rear tube exploded today, sounded like a gun shot. I don't think the tire failed, I suspect the tube was pinched and it just took a couple days before it finally popped. Or atleast I hope, I still need to inspect the tire closely. Was running about 120 in them.

Offline Doses

• Forkglider
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »
Comet 1.5 , at first are hard to scuff. Once you get the full concept of rolling capabilities you adapt. My next favorite is 1.85 Walls, Chase tires 1.75 or  Panaracers 1.75.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 11:27:36 PM »
anyone tested the Heresy ones?

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 02:57:22 PM »

I recently did a swap with my friend Wes and scored a set of Motel Works M825's. They are really nice. They are light...a little wider (1.825") but they are fast for a wider tire.

The compound feels pretty good as well. At first, I was leaving some excessive marks on the pavement from them. But oddly, after they did that for a couple days, they stopped. I thought they might wear down fast but they seem okay.

They are similar to the Trackmark in overall feel...but they are faster (spinning wise).

14.8 oz ...much heavier than a Mac 1 ...But every bike feels heavy on the ends after switching from Mac 1's to another tire.

I need to get some Twiggy Tubes and I think the Motels will feel perfect.
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 10:05:10 AM »
ok so i bought and tested the new Heresy Zephyr 1.90 flatland tires,here are my thoughts.

I will compare them with the Ares A-Class 1.90 normal compound beaded tires,which are a very popular choice and also my previous tires.

Well,the Heresy ones are very good!
They are a bit fatter and higher than the Ares even if they are both 1.90
They are more rounded than the Ares.
They roll well and scuff well
They don't need a break in period,you just install and have a normal session.
The material feels a lot like the Ares normal compound one but a tiny bit less rubbery
The threads are better than the Ares ones,if you scuff.
They go up to 110psi (on paper)
A bit heavier than the Ares one.But not that much.
Excellent price,they sell for around 27 euros here in Europe!

Lastly,durability.We will have to wait for this!The Ares ones proved to be VERY durable for me.I had them on for a year with 2 to 3 3hour sessions a week and although they recently got bald on the top side and the threads disappeared there,they were still good even for scuffing.Their rubber is very good.
I believe that the Heresy ones will probably last at least that much because of the slightly less rubbery material. Will they be good for scuffing when they get bald?We will have to wait for this one.

Final thoughts? Awesome tire,great work from Heresy.This could get as popular as the Ares ones!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:56:24 AM by mal »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 08:38:55 PM »
Thanks Mal! This review is greatly appreciated. Might give them a go for my next pair.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 11:24:13 PM »
Nice writeup! good to see the comparison to the favorite tire out there- the Ares 1.90
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)