Author Topic: Shoes  (Read 6291 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Shoes
« on: October 16, 2019, 02:54:18 AM »
i searched and read through a lot of older posts on global-flat about shoes. There are some recommendations in those older posts - for example adidas shoes are recommended numerous times. However, all of these threads are years old so most of the recommended shoes are no longer readily available.

I'm hoping somebody has a recommendation for a shoe that is readily available online nowadays, for example from like amazon or something. I've tried looking through what's currently available but there are so many and it's hard to tell what will work good from just the pictures. I'm not looking for anything high end and function is more important than fashion.

If no one has any recommendations then I'll just do like I've been doing: I'll just buy another cheap pair from Walmart or Ross/Marshals but hoping to find something that'll last a little longer. Thanks.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Shoes
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:58:29 AM »
Hi,I had some problems with my feet hurting so I wanted a stiff and thick sole. A friend suggested Nike Air Force 1 which I use since then. They are available in low, mid and high. I really like them but some riders complain about them being not super grippy on the tire. Without having a direct comparison, I would say this can be true. For me it is ok, but it could be better. But the stiffness of the sole is very high, so if you like this... Some riders prefer softer shoes because they have a better feeling with them, but for me the feet hurt.Many riders (Pete Brandt, Chase, Marton as far as I know) use or used Nike Air Flight 89. They are mid height and the sole should be good. I would like to try these as well but they are difficult to find in Germany so I did not try them yet.

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 12:51:16 PM »
Really depends what you're looking for in a shoe, if feel and grip are the most important factors I'd recommend vans half cab (the pro version - standard versions of vans have terrible insoles)
Recently I've been enjoying new balance skate shoes because they happen to fit well (but be aware they are sized small so go next size up from your regular trainer size) and they also last very well from my experience skating in them.
DC don't seem to last too well but they feel good, Adidas look cool but don't fit my feet so no experience there, nike janoski are another solid choice...

This is just my personal experience though so ymmv.

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 04:22:13 PM »
i've been riding in the kevin peraza sig vans and they have been great.

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 06:40:15 PM »
I've heard good things about the Van's Pro grade shoes and Nike Dunks (discontinued?).  Currently, and for the first time, I bought a pair of Globe skate shoes.  Not enough ride time on them yet.  Soles might be a little too stiff though...but, they just about feel bomb proof.  They seem very sturdy and well made.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 07:36:29 PM »

I put this is the wrong subforum by accident, if a mod sees this can it be moved to general or maybe parts? Thanks.

Thank you guys very much, I'm going to look into each of your suggestions.

I probably prefer shoes that are mid way between having thin and thick soles. I don't have problems with my feet hurting from the pegs, so I like them to be somewhat soft/thin soled but not so much that my foot bends around the peg too much, if that makes sense.

I don't scuff very much anymore but I do still kick the tire a lot (like in a mega spin or tomahawk) lately the bottom of my shoes wear out quickly where I stand on the peg, the knurling of the peg has been wearing out my shoes. I'm also starting to play around with pivoting which doesn't help wear. So I'm hoping to find a shoe that grips the peg good but also won't wear too fast.

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 07:19:34 AM »
I ride the Vans Berle Pro and really like them...after they break in!

I literally dread getting new shoes since there's a few days before they loosen up and I don't feel like I'm fighting the shoe. For me, I need to feel the peg.

I try to ride about 5-7 hours a week (about an hour a day if possible) and these pair have lasted me a few months. I think for me, the shoe starts to feel like it's just weakening/feels unsafe before the sole wears out.

Tim

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 01:07:25 PM »
I like hi-tops, personally.

I started riding again with Adidas...but unfortunately, all my Adidas fall apart in really pathetic ways...really fast. The new Adidas have a problem with the entire sole peeling away from the shoe. And for how expensive they are, that's just unacceptable.

I switched to Nike and hunt eBay for NOS AF1's. I buy as many pairs as I can. They have held up the best to abuse without meeting their demise in some ridiculous way.
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline Flatlandkid97

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
Check out the Jordan Flight 45’s and the Nike Air Flight
The flight 45s are my favorite as far as high tops go cause they are super stiff and durable but once broken in, you can feel the peg on your foot real well. They are always like 80-100 on eBay in my size but they last me almost 2 years of hard riding on average

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 04:49:50 PM »
The Etnies have really come a long way such as the marana's (either low or mid) with the Michelin bottom. Very comfortable with good life of the bottom sole.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Doses

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 08:05:25 PM »
The Etnies have really come a long way such as the marana's (either low or mid) with the Michelin bottom. Very comfortable with good life of the bottom sole.

I swear by Etnies Faders or King Pins. I have only ridden these for the past 7 years and won't touch anything else. These are the longest lasting scuffing shoes I have ever used (current pair 1.5 years  - smell nasty but still in one piece) .

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 02:24:28 PM »
I used to dis Superstars for having a hard sole but out of necessity i used them for a couple of sessions and they became my main flatland shoes.
Newer models have a softer sole too.
I think they are the best for scuffing,excellent grip and very difficult for the pegs to hurt your feet.

I always used skate shoes but when they get old i feel the pain from the pegs a lot and the soft sole make you put more power for scuffing.With the Superstars you just touch the wheel and it moves.
Also the upper front part that is rubber instead of fabric protects your toes and nails.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 11:36:36 PM »
I'm gonna give a pair of Etnies Marana a try next. I don't think I've ever tried etnies Shoes before.

Offline jerky

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 05:26:49 AM »
I'll vouch for the Marana Michelin's as well. After a 15 year hiatus from riding I built a new bike last summer. Even during those non-riding years I still wore Vans's pretty much exclusively. I found standing on pegs with Van's to be uncomfortable on my old man feet. I went looking for something with a little stiffer sole and totally lucked out on finding the Marana's on the clearance area. I think they were the second shoes I tried on and ended my search right there. If you are thrifty like me, you can find good deals on them if you are willing to sport last years colors.

Offline hydrostyler

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 03:44:32 AM »

https://www.etnies.com/us/collections/michelin-collection/

Quick search and I found some pretty decent sale prices directly on etnies site.  I think I will give the Maranas a try.