Author Topic: aliasdck's bike check (27th April 2019)  (Read 16500 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: aliasdck's bike check (27th April 2019)
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2019, 12:58:40 AM »
Maybe this sounds stupid for some people, but what do you think of adjusting your bar more to the front? I mean wouldn't it be similar to have a bigger angle between fork and bar with a short stem compared to a more parallel angle with a longer stem? The position of the grip tubes matters in the end, don't you think?

I was thinking the same thing, that adjusting bars forward should have similar effect to using a longer reach stem but I don't know... I tried putting my bars forward with a short stem and it didn't feel the same as having my bars normal but with a longer reach stem. In both cases I tried to adjust the bar ends into the same position relative to the pegs.

I really didn't like the feeling of having my bars forward with a short stem, it just didn't feel right, whereas I do like the feeling of having them in the "normal" position with a long stem. I can't explain it because they should be almost the same thing with a very minor difference in height from the ground, I think. It's possible it's all in my head?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »
I think one aspect is that as long as you have any sweep, this will change "over ground" if you have another angle of the bar. And I agree that it might feel different, but I can imagine that most of it is indeed "inside your head".  ::)

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2019, 11:07:00 PM »

You'd be surprised what a little difference makes. A real difference.

For example - I needed lots of room on my 17.9 Ten...so I went from a Flatware stem to an Odyssey, 45mm frontload...and that bike flips forward so easily, it's insane. Granted, it's a very short frame to begin with. But that 17mm changed the entire leverage point of the bike in a drastic way. When I ride one of my other rigs after riding that one, it feels like I have bricks in the back of the bike for the first 15 minutes.
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2019, 04:30:34 AM »
Voodoo, I am planning on building up a second bike. I notice you have several. Do you find it difficult to switch between them? I'm thinking having two bikes with different setups (one longer vs one shorter, one breakless vs one with brakes, one taller bars vs one with shorter bars, etc you get the idea) might actually be beneficial. I notice sometimes that when I'm having trouble learning a trick that changing my setup helps because it's like it gives me a different perspective on what I'm doing right and wrong with that trick. Hope that makes sense.

Anyways, do you find it helpful to have more than one bike setup or is it more of a pain constantly having to adjust back and forth between them. Or do you tend to practice certain tricks with each bike?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2019, 08:55:21 PM »
That is an interesting question! I hope you don't mind if I jump in...I have several bikes as well and at least three are very similar. The two main bikes are with same geometry and setting and especially the weight and weight distribution is very similar. So I can switch between the two easily and it always feels "right".I was experimenting with bar height, wheelbase and so on and then decided for some measurements and kept it. I personally don't think it makes sense to practise certain tricks with a different setup. I just felt "my setup" to be the best compromise for different kind of tricks and if I can learn a trick with this setup I blame it on me  ::) But why not experimenting... If you have another bike (which makes sense for that) you can try it out. But on the long term I imagine that you lose your feeling for your bike in general. You can hardly get really used to several setups at the same time. At least this is what I assume.