Author Topic: My New Rig - Voodoo!  (Read 10501 times)

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
My New Rig - Voodoo!
« on: October 13, 2019, 01:34:52 PM »
So I bought this frame on bmxmuseum. It looks like it has never been rocked. Immaculate. In fact, most stuff I've bought new from shops have had more damage from shelf wear than this frame has.

I spent all day building it up so I could immediately start riding it..
I still need to tweak the rear wheel. Basically, I need to remove one more chain link and slam the crap out of it.

I'll be taking better pics in the daylight. Can't wait to beat the crap out of this thing.

St. Martin Voodoo - Version 1.0

**I'm waiting on a Colony Exon II stem**
**Parts WILL be getting changed on this as I ride it. This is
basically just a rough draft.**

FRAME - 2013 St. Martin Voodoo
FORK - Odyssey Flatware - Zero Offset
BARS - OG Caramel 3 Bars
STEM - Colony Exon 35mm
HEADSET - Odyssey
BRAKES - Odyssey Evo II front / Odyssey Springfield rear
PADS - Odyssey Ghost Pads
LEVERS - Odyssey M2 and Monolever
CABLES - Odyssey M2 / Slic Cable and Gyro Cables..
CABLE HANGER - Odyssey Evo
GYRO - Impurity w/ built-in Knarps
GRIPS - BSD Dunks
CRANKS - Profile Mini Magnatanium 125mm
SPROCKET - St. Martin Evo 20t spline drive
PEDALS - Odyssey Twisted PC
BOTTOM BRACKET - Primo
CHAIN - Yaban
WHEELS - GSport Rollcage Rims (front and rear) with
GSport Marmoset front hub and Odyssey Clutch Freecoaster rear. Clutch has a full 3/8" axle conversion that I did in my garage.
Odyssey spokes tie both wheels together.
TIRES - S&M Trackmark 1.75"
TUBES - KHE Twiggy Tubes
PEGS - KHE Alchemy
SEAT - Mankind Globe
POST - Odyssey Intact
CLAMP - Odyssey Mr. Clampy
BAR ENDS - Odyssey Par Ends
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:39:09 AM by Voodoo »
I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
Re: My New Rig - Voodoo!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 03:08:31 PM »
damn that bike looks smooth

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 12:36:46 AM »
Very nice!

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 04:09:38 PM »

Thanks, guys. Here are some better pics.

I've already changed some parts on it. I ditched the Odyssey Intact seat post. They work awesome on my other Ten frames but I needed the seat a little closer for hang Fives. I used a  Colony pivotal post with no offset and an Odyssey Convertible seat gut kit. I'm still waiting on a Colony Exon II stem so the Exon I can go back on my 18.8 Ten. I also think I'm going to ditch the Trackmark tires and go with the KHE Mac 1's that I have...They are so much lighter that it makes a noticeable difference on each end of whatever bike they are on. The Trackmarks are great tires..but since this frame is a little longer, I think I should remove a little weight in the rear. The Trackmarks will work well on the 17.9 Ten.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 10:12:25 PM »
Nice one!
Have you used an Impurity Gyro before? I find it interesting but did not buy one yet.
What it the weight of the bike?

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »
Nice one!
Have you used an Impurity Gyro before? I find it interesting but did not buy one yet.
What it the weight of the bike?

Yes, I have been using the Impurity Gyro for a while now on the recommendation of another Global-Flat member. I feel zero difference between the Impurity and the Gyro GTX-R. And I'm running both at the same time. One on each bike. The Impurity is excellent...and it cost 44.00 and something like $5.00 shipping. It was a really good deal. I spent too much time trying to hunt down another GTX-R because I like the built in knarps.

Funny you ask. I just weighed it. Right now, it's at 23 lbs 4.6 oz. ...If I switched to my other set of wheels with the KHE Mac 1's, I would shave another 1 lb or maybe a little over that with the difference in wheels as well. So, if I do that, it will be right around 22 pounds...which isn't bad when you're talking full brakes / levers / gyro / etc.

EDIT - I should also state that the quality and feel of the rubber on the S&M tires is absolutely superior than the KHE Mac 1's or even my Odyssey Frequency G's (Special Edition v2 1.75")...But the KHE's are noticeably lighter when you have them on a bike. Literally noticeable. The Odyssey Frequency G's on a digital scale, in reality, weigh 1 lb 2.3 oz (18.3 oz)...where the KHE Mac 1's I have are LITERALLY 9 oz. ..Not advertised...actually weighed by me. I have a thing with weighing all my parts to see if they are actually what they are advertised as. But weight aside, if you still scuff in any way, the Trackmark tire is superior.

Also, while I'm ranting on these tires...Neither the Mac 1 or the Frequency G is a true 1.75" tire. However, the Trackmark is 1.75"...so it feels like you're using a wider tire at first even though you're just using a real 1.75" tire.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:22:05 PM by Voodoo »

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 06:53:28 PM »
That's a damn nice bike...well done!

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 02:32:05 PM »
That's a damn nice bike...well done!

Thanks, man.
I've already made some changes. I will update it after I do some more parts swapping this weekend. It's really shaping up. I've had to change a couple things to accomodate the longer top tube.

Still not used to having a white bike...this is my first white frame EVER.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 07:33:12 PM »
Sade?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 08:47:27 PM »
Hi Voodoo,
this is interesting what you say about the tires! Actually I was wandering why KHE sells the MAC 1 as 1.6" which it is...To be honest I never wanted to use a tire which is noticeable heavier than the KHE because I really like it when the wheels are light, so I did not try the S&M yet. DOM tires are the other option for me. I consider them pretty similar to the KHEs and they blow out less often...
Did you ever have any problems with the built-in knarps of the Gyros you have used? I have the old Odyssey steel version with knarps and they hold the cables in place even when you pull really strong. This is what I need because for decades I pull really hard.Did this work out for the Impurity Gyro?

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 04:04:23 PM »
Long time since I checked this.

The Impurity Gyro feels ZERO different than the GTX-R. And the knarps are tough. Seriously, I have a GTX-R on one rig and the Impurity on another..and you seriously can't tell the difference. When I'm using another Gyro, I can totally feel it as braking isn't as smooth.

With any of those Gyro knarps, I'd advise going slowly. Very slowly. When you torque the cable down, put very little pressure on the bolts and slowly crank down. Back and forth from one side to the other. Eventually, it won't want to torque down anymore and you're good. I could see the possibility of stripping it right away. I haven't had any problems at all.

I always cut the cables after I torque them down and then get the soldering iron out and solder the ends to keep them from fraying.

Yeah, I'm in a bit of a love / hate relationship with the Mac 1's and other super light tires. They feel great for everything. More nimble. But with a super short wheelbase, the bike seems to literally jump off the ground with certain tricks. When I'm using the Trackmarks or the MotelWorks I got from my friend Wes, the bike feels more anchored to the ground. Which feels better for a lot of old school tricks.

I've been riding a new St. Martin frame lately. I'll have to do a new bike check on it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 04:09:51 PM by Voodoo »

Offline royc

• Forkglider
    • Roy Christopher
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 05:06:55 PM »
So clean...
"Came from the concrete, takin' chances." — Future
http://roychristopher.com

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 01:21:41 AM »
Thanks, man.
This frame amazes me in many ways. For one, the top tube is 19.3 (which measures 19.25 for me) and thanks to St. Martin's post-2009, super-short rear ends, the wheelbase is still under 32". It's awesome to have that much room and not feel like you're pedaling a canoe.

I have switched stems on it many times now...trying to find the perfect length.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 04:12:15 AM »
Quote from: Voodoo
I always cut the cables after I torque them down and then get the soldering iron out and solder the ends to keep them from fraying.

Thanks for the tip. I can't believe I never thought to do this. I have been involved in electronics most of my life, first as a hobby and then also as a career. So I've been soldering for like 25 years, I'm astonished the idea never crossed my mind.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 04:18:07 AM by aliasdck »

Offline Bone

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 04:03:48 AM »
This is a sexy bike 😍😍😍