Author Topic: Longer frame  (Read 2998 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Longer frame
« on: September 19, 2019, 03:12:38 AM »
i am happy with my utopia (TT is 20") but have been contemplating building up a second bike. For this I would like to try a longer bike with specs like:

Top Tube - 20.5" to 21"
Chain stays - around 13" to 13.5"
Headtube angle: between 74.5 to 75
Seat tube angle: between 70 and 72

I thought about getting Matthias frame but I don't want such a steep headtube and I really don't like the color (would rather not repaint). So I have been looking around at other bmx frames, not just flatland specific ones. The closest I have found so far is the S&M Dagger. It's specs are:

Top Tube: 20.5", 20.75" and 21"
Chain Stays: 12.8" to 13.6"
Headtube Angle: 75.3
Seat Tube Angle: 71
BB Height: 11.6"
Standover: 7.25"

These specs are almost perfect but I'd prefer the headtube angle to be 75 (0.3 isn't that big of a deal) and the chain/seat stays are not tapered nicely to the dropout. But these issues are minor, so I might get this frame but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on frames that are currently available.

I prefer traditional 2 triangle design but is not mandatory, for example: I have been considering The Heresy AscendD in 20.5" but I'd rather find something closer to 21".

Not ready yet to go custom build, just trying to find something that already exists.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Longer frame
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 03:22:54 AM »
Also, where is the best place nowadays to go for used parts. eBay? Here? BmxMuseum?

Thank you

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 06:52:54 PM »
I ride a 19" Dagger for flat and I dig it.  Solid, well built frame.  I have a Primo Strand fork (known to be a little taller than most) with 13mm offset which mellows out the 75.3 HTA a bit.  Would a Standard Resinator interest you?

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 08:14:36 PM »
Yes actually standard resinator has specs like I am looking for, I hadn't even considered standard when I was looking around at various frames. A new one is a bit pricey though, It's gonna be awhile before I have enough $$$ set aside.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 12:25:43 AM »
I'm actually liking the Standard Resinator specs more than the S&M Dagger specs, but only because the dagger has such a short standover at 7.25 whereas the resinator is more like 8.25" (for the 21" TT version). The shorter standover is probably a good thing for flatland but I think such a long frame looks kinda silly when it has such a short standover. Not a deal breaker by any means, just thinking out loud.

Another promising frame I'm looking at is the Colony Sweet Tooth, specs look like this:

Sizes: 19.8”, 20.4”, 20.7″ & 21″ TT.
13.25” rear, 75.2º HA, 71º ST.
11.5″ BB Height.
Stand over height for 19.8″ & 20.4″ is 7.5″ (centre of BB shell to centre of TT).
Stand over height for 20.7″ & 21″ is 8.5″ (centre of BB shell to centre of TT).
Weight: 20.4″ version 5.2 lbs (2,358 grams).

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 01:02:43 AM »
I sent you a message regarding the Standard Resinator frame with contact info.  Hopefully, something can be worked out. :)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 02:51:20 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, I would not have realized I had a message waiting for me if you had not posted again.

I'll get in contact with him, thank you very much.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 02:18:41 AM »
I've spent a lot of time looking at all kinds of different frames from different manufacturers and I think I've settled on one that is the closest to what I'm looking for:

https://dkbicycles.com/collections/frames/products/dk-phase-frame

The DK Phase frame:
Top Tube: 20.6, 20.8 or 21
Chain Stay: 13.25 (slammed)
Head Tube Angle: 75.2
Seat Tube Angle: 71
Bottom Bracket Height: 1.25" above axle line
Standover: customer service rep says seat Tube length is 8.6"

Now I just need to get the money together, but that's gonna take awhile especially with the holidays around the corner.