Author Topic: Flatware chase gouin bars.  (Read 9075 times)

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
Re: Flatware chase gouin bars.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 05:46:57 PM »
Hi Voodoo,here is my Chase bar from the backside (sorry, the picture was taken in my basement without daylight, not so good this time) and my London Bikes bar for information.Sorry, I won't sell the OG bar, I like it too much. I know many riders do not understand that so well, but I have some parts that I don't even plan to use but more to collect. I bought it directly from Marton, maybe he has some left...By the way: I mailed Odyssey some weeks ago about the Chase bar and the guy could not tell me exactly. He mentioned that only the wallthickness was changed so one could not see it from outside, but I also doubt that. At Flatlandfuel for example it was mentioned that the bending radius of the support tube (leading to the grip tube area) was changed in the area where the cross bar is welded onto it. He said maybe Pat could clarify, but I didn't ask him yet.What do you think?

Right. I completely understand that. Some parts are impossible to part with...

No, the guy at Odyssey is wrong. They specifically said that the radius had changed. And if you look close, you can see it. The V1's are a little more "upright" like the Caramel bars...where the V2's are wider. If you put them side by side it is noticeable. Barely. But noticeable. That is the main thing I go by to determine V1's and V2's. Because most of the time, the decals are removed.

I'm thinking 99% that yours are V1's by the bend and the decals.

I don't miss old school technology one bit.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 09:03:22 PM »
Of course it would be better if it was V2, but to be honest: I do not know if I will ride it at all. I always liked the design and now I have it on my wall and enjoy it. Maybe I put it on one of my "spare bikes" to test, let's see. So it is not a big deal that it is V1.So did I understand correctly: You say the support tubes (connecting crossbar area to grip tubes) are steeper for the V2, right? Because of less radius in the bend.And V2 typically have the 41 Thermal sticker in white?The only thing that is not so plausible for me is that I thought I could distinguish a sharper bend of the support tube in the crossbar area for the V1 like I would say one can see in the first picture that I posted in this thread (picture from chainreaction). In the picture from flatlandfuel the bend looks less sharp and I would say mine looks like that.Do you know what I mean?

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 10:14:43 PM »
Of course it would be better if it was V2, but to be honest: I do not know if I will ride it at all. I always liked the design and now I have it on my wall and enjoy it. Maybe I put it on one of my "spare bikes" to test, let's see. So it is not a big deal that it is V1.So did I understand correctly: You say the support tubes (connecting crossbar area to grip tubes) are steeper for the V2, right? Because of less radius in the bend.And V2 typically have the 41 Thermal sticker in white?The only thing that is not so plausible for me is that I thought I could distinguish a sharper bend of the support tube in the crossbar area for the V1 like I would say one can see in the first picture that I posted in this thread (picture from chainreaction). In the picture from flatlandfuel the bend looks less sharp and I would say mine looks like that.Do you know what I mean?

There is more radius in the V2's. So when you look at them, they are wider looking and appear to have a little more space between the bars. I think the opposite of what you are thinking if I am understanding you correctly. I will take some detailed pics of my V2's tonight and post them and show you what I mean. I will also use your pics for comparison. Will be cool to have it on here anyway for anyone with future questions.
But old school style and art? We live in a world of a thousand one color decals. Old school aesthetics win a thousand times over.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »
Hm, it is not so easy...I post another picture of a no B. S. version from BMX museum. By the way it seems to have the red 41T sticker at the right side like mine has.Here I marked what I call "bend of support tube" and "support tube angle".If I understand you correctly you say that the support tube angle is different for V1 and V2. This makes sense because I always understood the descriptions in a way that the bend of the support tube was changed (radius was changed) and this would affect the support tube angle.So I would like to emphasize two things:1. In the early pictures what I posted the Chainreaction model seems to have a sharper bend of the support tube than the Flatlandfuel model. Mine seems to have the less sharper bend like the Flatlandfuel model which should be V2 (like mentioned in the description).2. As far as I remember only V2 was available in 8" without backsweep and 3 ° upsweep (Isn't that the version you have?). If the end of the grip tubes are at 8" height (here Odyssey seems to measure) and we have 3 ° upsweep for the no B. S. version but 6 ° upsweep for the B. S. version, the support tube angle might be different for the no B. S. version compared to the B. S. version. Do you agree? That would make it even more difficult to distinguish...

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 01:29:40 PM »

Actually, I have both versions.
The no BS and the BS.
Yes, what you said makes sense.
Sorry I didn't post pics sooner. I got my new frame and have been building it up.
Stoked.
I WILL get pics, though. ASAP. And go further in depth on the bars.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2019, 03:34:46 PM »

Okay...
Check out this pic.
I showed how the overall bar appears to be wider on the V2's. Thus, the angles that I
highlighted in red seem to be more relaxed. The V1's seem to be more "upright". Just
slightly.

Also, that bike is in the middle of tweaking...so pardon all the cable sticking up.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 03:38:06 PM by Voodoo »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
Ok, got it. Could you post a picture of the.. B. S. and no B. S. version next to each other? Ok, if both are installed this is difficult...
I still wonder if the difference in the angle that you marked red might come from B. S. vs. no B. S.
What do you think of the "bend of support tube" that I described. Do you see a difference from V1 to V2 here?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2019, 11:00:04 PM »
One more aspect: Mine has got the "part number" 601 on the end of the grip tube.
Do you know if one can identify by this number? The guy from Odyssey said it could help, but he could not tell.

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 12:36:50 AM »

Hmmm...I do not recall ever seeing a part number on my V2's. Ever. But I will pull the grip back and look. Do you recall what side it was on and how far into the bars?

Sorry for not elaborating...that photo is of a V2 BS bar. I just remembered that these bars were cut to 25" when I got them..so the part number could have been on the ends that got chopped.

However, I also purchased NOS No BS bars and don't recall seeing that part number on those either.

I will get pics of the No BS up ASAP for comparison.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 09:27:00 PM »
Hi Voodoo, the numer is on the right grip tube about 1 cm from the end.

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »
I have a better comparison of the two but I can’t post a picture. Says too large. Using only with Phone.

I would love to show you the pic. I have both V1 and V2 I think because of its obvious comparison.

Cheers  :beer:

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 09:18:15 PM »
Hi, this would be really helpful! Could you copy it to your computer and make it smaller (for example with Windows Paint) to post it?

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 10:37:30 PM »
Unfortunately, I don’t have a functional computer since I always use my phone for everything.  ;D
Can I send it to you via email? It would help.  ;D
Cheers :beer:

Offline Voodoo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 12:57:35 PM »
Hi Voodoo, the numer is on the right grip tube about 1 cm from the end.

The untrimmed / uncut NO BS V2 bars do not have the number on the end of the bar. I even asked my friend Wes to check his. Nothing. At least the ones we have, anyway.

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 05:13:43 PM »
Here are the links for the images I have taken from my Flatware bars.
These pictures shown may have the clear comparison of the V1 and V2.
So I noticed by surprise on the bottom of the bars where one of them has welded plate, while the other did not. The bents are also different.
Cheers!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xYPykWfn4FKg5Foa7
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:47:14 PM by Rizalflatlander »