Author Topic: A few misc questions  (Read 2203 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
A few misc questions
« on: May 20, 2021, 05:53:59 PM »
I'm curious about a few things so decided to make a thread and ask:

1) Do you guys keep your forks compression bolt installed all the time or do you remove it once everything is tightened down?

2) I tried using a shadow conspiracy half link chain but it has problems when going around the 9 tooth freecoaster cog. It's just too tight of a turn for it I suppose. Is this the case with all half link chains or are there certain ones thought would work better?

3) My Thompson seat post is still the original length and I'm thinking of cutting it down to save a bit of weight since more then half of it is below the seat post clamp. It pretty much bottoms out at the bottom bracket shell  currently, so it's way longer then needed. How much length should I keep below the seat post clamp? I've seen 3-4 inches recommended or atleast 25mm below the welds of the seat stays. What's your opinion?

Offline vortexblue

Re: A few misc questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 06:33:49 PM »
A friend of mine runs his stem lower than the top of the fork steerer. So he installs a lot of spacers, then the cap, then tightens it all up... then removes the upper spacers and cap.   It leaves the fork tube hanging out up there all alone... lookin sharp (in a bad way) 
I always imagine it's a fantastic way of getting a soil-sample style wound in an arm or chest.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 06:44:14 PM »

1) keep installed, this way you won't be without good solution after a crash or something that style that could require to set up the things on the spot. Also it's always possible the stem going loose a little bit during the session, flatland is not a stressfree activity for a bike you know :)  I bet you have no play on the headset because you have that part always on place atm
How much does that weight?

2) can you post a pics of the situation?  and also with a classic chain if possible

3) I read somewhere to get 7-8 cm minimum of the seat post inside the seat tube. I am sure guys like Pat Schoolen got experienced flatland oriented advices about that question.

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 08:10:35 AM »
I have always been told the tension keeps the headset tight ,do you have the shadow chain on correctly?And you don't gain much benefit cutting the seat post down ,the longer post adds to the rigidity of your bike.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 05:12:20 PM »
As far as I know the chain was on right? It worked fine on my old setup but that was 24-11, now using 20-9 and it just doesn't seem to handle going around the 9 tooth freecoaster cog very well. I replaced it with a regular chain but if I get the chance I'll put it back on and take a photo/video.

I'm not planning on removing the compression bolt, was just curious what most other riders do.

As far as the seat post goes, I'm gonna cut off a little bit so that I can get the seat a little lower as it's already bottomed out but I wanna go a bit lower. I'm not going crazy and cutting off as much as possible, probably just and inch or two. But was curious what you guys aim for as far as how much length you try to leave below the clamp.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 05:18:43 PM »
cut that post to leave about 1 inch below the bottom portion of the top tube

leave compression bolt on. technically it's not necessary once your stem is tightened down tho. peace of mind

chain was probably on upside down is my guess... or you were running it backwards
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 05:24:02 PM »
Oh sh*t, I didn't realize it needed to be installed in a specific orientation. Looking at it closely though I can see that it is. Also checked the papers that came with it, sure enough it needs to be installed a certain way.

How embarrassing. At least now I can use it though.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 05:53:59 PM »
Oh sh*t, I didn't realize it needed to be installed in a specific orientation. Looking at it closely though I can see that it is. Also checked the papers that came with it, sure enough it needs to be installed a certain way.

How embarrassing. At least now I can use it though.

bingo! glad you figured it out
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 06:08:47 PM »
Thanks for the help metalbmxer, I'm usually more attentive to such details than this.

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 06:56:18 PM »
Those chains were always a pain in the neck ,I had to reinstall so many over the years .I just recently given away the last of my shadow chain pins