Author Topic: Handlebars  (Read 6471 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Handlebars
« on: June 23, 2019, 02:01:59 AM »
i am thinking about getting new bars. My current bars are 23.5" wide and I'm always holding onto the grips at the very ends, such that half my palm is off the end of the bar usually. This is not a problem normally but lately I've been getting horrible blisters in the center of my palm because of the bar ends. Wider bars would correct this I think. I've tried holding the bars further in but this doesn't feel right for me.

I like the look of the St Martin High Bred bars and the specs are a good match for me. Any comments on these?

Also, I know rise is measured from center of the stem clamp bar to center of grip bar, but where along the grip bar is used when there is upsweep? Do they take point from the very end of the handlebar, since this is the highest point?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 04:59:39 AM by aliasdck »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Handlebars
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 05:50:34 AM »
Measured up from the clamp area to the half way point of the grip tube, even with upsweep

Edit: since they’re made by s&m they’re definitely legit. The only bars I run Are the s&m intrikat because I trust Their quality over anything
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 05:52:43 AM by metalbmxer »
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
Yes s&m definitely makes good stuff. I still have a sabbath from circa 1997/1998, it'll probably outlast the cockroaches on this planet.

I am also considering the intrickats especially since they are much more affordable. I'll give it some time/thought, I don't want to rush the purchase.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 09:45:20 PM »
My wife's car just started making strange noises when running. So I'm not going to be buying new handlebars anytime soon. :( 

Oh well, the big blisters on the center of my palm are starting to get hard, so I guess Im just developing a really big callus there which should help.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 10:16:04 PM »
Hi, I don't know if there is an "official" rule, but I definitely have some bars with upsweep where the height is meant from center of clamping tube to the center (of the diameter of the tube) of the grip tube at the outer end (not in the middle of the grip area). For example the Flatware Chase bar is measured like this.
Depending on the upsweep this makes a difference to the middle of the grip area and for example the bar height theoretically changes when you cut the handlebar narrower.The Sick Child Relapse for example was specified to be 8.125" high and it is 8.4" at the end of the grip tube. So I assume 8.125" was meant to the middle of the grip area.So the industry seems not to have a standard...

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 10:16:30 PM »
Sorry about the car... I know what you mean.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 10:46:48 PM »
I suspected that not every company would follow the same method, oh well

Would be cool if companies released scaled drawings of their parts. That way we could make our own measurements and  easily compare a new part to our old part before purchase.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 03:42:56 AM »
Yes s&m definitely makes good stuff. I still have a sabbath from circa 1997/1998, it'll probably outlast the cockroaches on this planet.

I am also considering the intrickats especially since they are much more affordable. I'll give it some time/thought, I don't want to rush the purchase.

yes the Intrikat's are the best value. only bar I've ridden hard that didn't crack or slip on me

I'm on the 9's and they are perfect. This is after trying 8's and 10's also

hope you get the car issue squared away, hopefully it's nothing much

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 07:23:01 PM »
I also run the Enduro 40mm and Intrikat 9".  I have nothing bad to say about them.  Might be the perfect strength to weight ratio. My favorite combo so far!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 07:31:21 PM »
I also run the Enduro 40mm and Intrikat 9".  I have nothing bad to say about them.  Might be the perfect strength to weight ratio. My favorite combo so far!

Brilliant! Mine too

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 07:25:56 PM »
I have some old parts buried deep in the garage, so I went on the hunt this morning and found some old odyssey 44 bars I forgot I had:

These measure ~25 inches wide, so they are wider then the OG caramel 2 bars that are currently on my bike (23.5 inches)

So these 44s can tie me over until I have enough $ to get the new bars. I'd prefer bars to be 26-27 inches wide, plus I'm hoping to get something taller than 8" rise. And also use a top load stem with some additional rise as well.

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 04:45:27 PM »
i remember when flatland fuel had intrikat bars on clearence for like 40 bucks because they had too many red ones. wish i would've got a set. don't even care if it didn't match anything on my bike lol. maybe email S&M and see if they have any blemished bars for cheaper?

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 08:25:43 PM »
I don't mind paying full price in this case, as the items are good quality from a good company, besides that way I can support both the company and flatlandfuel.

I just need to wait until I can get my wife's car issues sorted first. No biggie as I am not in a rush.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 09:16:21 PM »
Odyssey 44, Chase style  :P Aren't they 6° us and 6° bs?I ride 8.5" and would say higher does not make sense. Personal preference of course...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »
I do believe they are 6 degrees up and back sweep. They are excellent bars but I want a pair that are a little wider, these are 25" wide, I'm hoping to get some around 26-27.

As far as taller bars: I'm still not sure yet. Sometimes my current setup feels perfect other times I think taller bars might help, there are tricks where a little more room underneath the bars  might help. I'm just gonna have to try a few different setups and see what works. Time and money...