Author Topic: Gyro top plate to lower plate distance  (Read 3960 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Gyro top plate to lower plate distance
« on: May 12, 2019, 02:23:53 AM »
i remember seeing a diagram online somewhere but I cannot find it now. Do you know the recommended distance between the top gyro plate and lower gyro tabs? I wanna say it's like 1.25 or 1.5 inches or thereabouts? With the top plate directly under my stem the distance is too great because I have long steerer tub with many spacers. I need to move some spacers from underneath the top gyro plate to above it (so they are between stem and top gyro plate making top gyro plate lower in the stack without changing overall stack height)

If nobody knows then I'll just figure it out via trial and error but was hoping to get an idea before I start. Thank you.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:26:16 AM by aliasdck »

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
Re: Gyro top plate to lower plate distance
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »
I think your measurements are about right. Here's one solution that might help. If you run the plate upside down, it will help reduce the distance between your gyro & the plate. Hope this helps...

https://totalbmx.com/collections/brakes/products/total-bmx-uplift-gryo-plate-black

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:11:10 PM »
thanks quixnet99, I'll keep that in mind as an option.

I found the diagram I was looking for:

So it looks like 1.5" is about right. This photo is from a pdf on dans comp website about detangler installation.

https://www.danscomp.com/media/pdf/SST_Oryg_Install.pdf

Offline jbeezy

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »
Old post but I always install a gyro from the rear caliper to the lever. Let it rest on the lower tabs and adjust the upper cable to that height.  Gap depends on the upper  cable

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 05:47:05 PM »
Just wondering what the minimum clearance would be for a gyro - I only have one 1/4"spacer under my stem, cut down steerer to match and the height feels just right.. have I got no chance?

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:43:25 AM »
Just wondering what the minimum clearance would be for a gyro - I only have one 1/4"spacer under my stem, cut down steerer to match and the height feels just right.. have I got no chance?

Depends on your setup. My upper plate actually sits on top of the headset - no spacers. I do have about 3/4 inch of spacers betwwen the top plate and the stem. Works fine for me

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »
What that photo doesn't tell you (in that particular application) is that there isn't enough steerer tube left to properly attach your stem.