Author Topic: Nankai rolls niceeee when properly adjusted  (Read 4089 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Nankai rolls niceeee when properly adjusted
« on: May 03, 2019, 09:50:50 PM »
My nankai has had intermittent side to side wobble for years. It would also feel like there was rolling resistance at certain trick angles and at certain speeds. Almost as if I was lightly feathering the brakes sometimes. Was super annoying but I got used to it and eventually learned to compensate. I had just figured it was a downside to using a free coaster.

I never took it apart before, I only adjusted the cone nuts to locknuts on either side. I had no idea there are three pieces on the non drive side that need to be locked together. I finally took mine apart and realized the brake cone was not tight  (I think that is what it is called) on the non drive side assembly. I cleaned everything, regreased and properly dialed it in this morning.

Holy sh*t the difference is amazing. I'm on cloud nine, back wheel tricks feel amazing now. Im gotta go ride some more....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:04:40 PM by aliasdck »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Nankai rolls niceeee when properly adjusted
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 08:36:43 PM »
Question: how much should I be tightening the driver side cone nut?

When I tighten mine, I get it to just before there is no more side to side play. I leave just a tiny tiny amount of play, almost an imperceptible amount. I do this so that the wheel still rolls really smoothly. But should I be tightening just a hair more so that there is absolutely no side to side play whatsoever?

There is still some very minor rolling resistance during certain tricks, like if I'm leaning over too far in a time machine for example It's very subtle but I can still notice it. Can I adjust this out or should I just learn to live with it? It already performs so much better than before, so either way I'm happy... just curious if it's possible to get it perfect.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 12:03:49 PM »

sure you do not want any play! Specially with flatland and all the unusual beating it provides to bike parts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnwVHPgpgVQ&feature=dir#t=3m04s

at a moment, I mean when the hub is used long time, it comes to luck to find the right spot, then better have a resistance than a play, for the same reason said on the vid

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 03:40:33 AM »
Thank you, the video was informative. I'll try tightening the driver side cone nut just until no play is left, sounds like a little bit of side to side play, even a tiny bit, is bad.

Offline jbeezy

• Forkglider
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
I might be in the minority but the nankai is the best, most reliable, smoothest hub when greased and properly adjusted.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 03:42:14 AM »
I might be in the minority but the nankai is the best, most reliable, smoothest hub when greased and properly adjusted.

loved my bamboo but unfortunately i snapped the flanges on mine off...whoppers
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline jbeezy

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 04:11:20 AM »

Must have been the alloy shell. Do you think the steel shell would have held up better?

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 04:21:27 AM »

Must have been the alloy shell. Do you think the steel shell would have held up better?

yeah I think so, just heavy
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)